Thanks Pete, the PLSS will be staying bare, as the training packs had no covering. I was looking over your Gene Cernan build today actually. Love that one, the light bulb blister is a great idea. I will be looking out for them in the shops.

I recall the evening very well, when I went to see The Last Man on the Moon. It was around 8pm when the movie started, and had an intermission. At the end before Gene Cernan came out on stage, it would have been around 10pm. He was answering questions and talking on his life and good friend and visit to Australia for 45 mins. Being jet lag and time zone differences, he seemed very good for that time of night. Although there was a few times he looked tired, he was 82 at the time. He did not have a cane, but his handlers had been very close behind him, as seen in picture with me.

I'll post up that picture again. I'll also add the pouch picture on the PLSS of Pete Conrad. Now that it's easier to upload pictures again, it's my pleasure to fix it up. Thanks Pete.

Mick

Edited by ApolloMan

I was just re-reading some of your posts, admiring your LRV actually,     :worship:   and ran across one where you asked for NASA meatballs and US flags ... did you get a solution for those?

If not, I may be able to help with those.  :thumbsup:

Pete

10 hours ago, K2Pete said:

I was just re-reading some of your posts, admiring your LRV actually,     :worship:   and ran across one where you asked for NASA meatballs and US flags ... did you get a solution for those?

If not, I may be able to help with those.  :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks Pete, at the moment I think I'm good. I will look over all my projects, and up coming space models and let you know 😉

• 4 months later...

Ok, so 3 weeks ago I returned home from a 3 month deployment. I took along with me my 2 1/12 scale Space Helmet Models figures to work on in my spare time. Of Apollo 12 Astronauts Pete Conrad and AL Bean, at the Ocean of Storms.

Well I'm near finished. Just need to work on the base. I am in need of anyone with super details on the 3 legged tool carrier. I'd like to scratch build that and add that to the dio. Oh also, as you can see I gave up on the training scenario I first set out on, I just knew it would draw to many silly questions from Hoax idiots, plus I couldn't make it work.

So I have been looking for heads to put inside the dremmeled out LEVA's. I did find on eBay the borbels, I used to make the clear and gold visors. Evergreen was also used and I need to adjust and add tabs. I did ask Max from Shapeways about the heads on his 1/12 astronaut, but no joy on just the heads. 

Enjoy

Hehe, my Apollo 12 Saturn V behind Apollo 12 dio

Bean

Conrad

Edited by ApolloMan

Also Pete, this is what I ended up doing with the second Gene Cernan 1/6. Harrison (Jack) Schmitt.

(you can see the 3cm Borbles I used for visors on 1/12 Astronauts at the bottom of picture.)

I bought these from Bubble, it will keep me busy. I will make the Al Shepard into Ed Mitchell with the MET, I have many pics of it but no dimensions.

Edited by ApolloMan

Nice to see you back here Mick!

I found the MET operator's manual on ALSJ, but there are no dimensions, but a few detailed illustrations and you should be able to get the scale of the whole assembly pretty close.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/a14METManual.pdf

Was this what you were looking for-r-r ... ? 

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 3 weeks later...
20181007_152136

20181007_152149

I'm getting there, still need the heads. I asked a member on Shapeways if he just sells the heads of his 1/12 Astronaut. But no.

I have a friend who has offered to print me some standard heads. I can then add snoopy caps and communications to them.

also I'll be adding some rocks, along with the Tool carrier.

Looking good Mick! The Paint looks good ... did you add any other details to the suits or is that all in the kit?

Seeing as these guys are on the lunar surface, with gold visors down, are the heads necessary? I know, I know, if this was mine I'd want them in there because I know they're in there ... :whistle:

Charlie Duke is coming to a luncheon in Niagara Falls in 4 days and I hope to get a photo with him ... seeing as it's about 15 minutes away ... Man, I feel like a little kid with Xmas just 4 days away ...   :thumbsup2:

Pete

Hey Pete

I did not have to do much to these kits. I filled in some join cracks and small air bubbles with putty. Made Al's side pouch and booklet from putty also. The visors I dremmeled out, as at first I was going to have them training at KSC. I always loved that scene in FTETTM episode. When Pete and Al lifter visors and laughed at there cuff checklist, with the Playgirl pics. They left out the cuff pad on the A12 kit, so again putty. The hoses came in two styles, first was a cordage covered in white plastic, which I went with. The second was flexible cast ones, which I did not like. I like these kits, but can't say I'd buy anymore. 

I have seen on mission footage that Astronauts lifted the gold visors for short periods. Then told off by Someone back on Earth catching them from the LR cameras. If all else fails, I'll replace the visors with new ones and attempt to paint reflections of one another on them.

Good luck with seeing Charlie Duke. Hope you get a chance to meet him. I know how envious you had been when I met Gene Cernan. I had felt like a kid also, and was nearly devistated when I thought I'd missed my chance. Will you be taking any of your models to this event?

Edited by ApolloMan

Regarding the visors on missions, I've watched the Spacecraft Films DVD's and you're right about the Astronauts being 'scolded' about putting their visors up. I think it was Schmitt who after being told, said it was scratched ... and Irwin too, IIRC.

For the Charlie Duke luncheon, I'm undecided if I'm gonna bring a model. I have one 1/72 LM which depicts AS 16 with the semi-deployed Rover, but he may speak less about his lunar mission and more about finding his religion ... plus I'm just getting over a cold, I hope I'm getting over it anyway, and want to make sure I'm 100% before I'm in his 84 year old presence. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

Hey Gang,

Well I got a little of my mojo back, thanks Pete. So glad you had the opportunity to meet Moon Walker Charlie Duke. It is a great feeling, and nothing wrong with being a big kid whilst doing it😊

Since being on leave and wife at work, and bubs at daycare this week, I have made some progress on a few more models, while I wait on heads to be 3D printed by a friend for my Apollo 12 dip.

The 2 reheat models from Bubble I had started at sea a few months back. I still have some work to do on the Buzz and allot on the Ed Mitchell. With Buzz I had to remove several pockets and make new ones from putty. The hoses had to have alterations, to be more like the famous picture. I used some left over decals from the 1/12 Astronauts and the ones I printed on clear decal sheet. These being 1/16, so not far off.

Enjoy.

The base is is just an MDF box from hardware store. I drilled out a trench to place the models base inside the base. Taped up the sides, an added a layer of epoxy, then crushed granite sprinkled on top. The boot prints, I dremmeled out and added tread.

The visor reflection took me an hour, I used a 2/0 brush and a steady hand.

I just need to add more moon dust to the legs and other small areas

With the Ed Mitchell, still allot of work here, I will complete this after all the Christmas stuff that has to be done.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Regards 

Mick

Edited by ApolloMan

Buzz looks great Mick! The proportions of the model are right on and the visor ... my gawsh, did I understand that you ... painted it on? With a tiny brush?? It looks so good, I assumed it was a decal of a photo of his visor. Well DONE!! Really, REALLY well done!!   :thumbsup:

Even the base, the brass insignias of NASA and Apollo 11, that ... is a nice touch. On the nameplate, the footprint is another subtle enhancement, nicely done!

You're doing a Terrific job on this Mick!

And I hope you'll have a wonderful and very Merry Christmas and that 2019 will be Happy and Healthy for you and the family!

Pete

Just finished going through ya thread and WOW. Those really are some nice pieces you've created, ApolloMan!  I'd say I like everything you've done and posted in this thread. You're display room must look just amazing with all those fine works. The Saturn V, Challenger tribute, the Rover and your astronauts all look fantastic. You really do some nice work both with builds and finishing.That painting you did on Buzz's visor is just insanely COOL!  

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the kind words. I am running out of cabinet space, but I'll just build another. Buzz is complete now and sits well next to my Re-Heat 1/16 Neil Armstrong and Al Shepard. I love these figure, shame they are hard to find or buy now days. 

I have been putting lapel pins on my models for year. Lots of people do it now. It's hard to find some pins at reasonable prices. I just have to work on Ed Mitchell now. But that will be after Xmas and family stuff.

Enjoy Christmas everyone 

Mick

Edited by ApolloMan