Hi All

Thanks guys for all the warm welcomes, as for me not being crazy scientist looking, I can't as I'm a Navy man also. That's been keeping me quite busy and have not made much progress this year on many of my in progress and future Apollo model builds.

Here are all the links to all my current post on ARC.

http://www.arcair.com/Gal9/8501-8600/gal8528-SaturnV-Jack/00.shtm

Saturn V LUT/MLP Part 1

http://www.arcair.com/Gal11/10701-10800/gal10783-SaturnV-Jack/00.shtm

Apollo 12 Sarurn V Part 2

http://www.arcair.com/Gal12/11501-11600/gal11553-CSM-Jack/00.shtm

Command Service Module Endeavour

http://www.arcair.com/Gal12/11901-12000/gal11934-Neil-Armstrong-Jack/00.shtm

Apollo 11 Neil Armstrong

http://www.arcair.com/Gal13/12301-12400/gal12337-Seaking-Jack/00.shtm

Apollo 13 Recovery

http://www.arcair.com/Gal14/13601-13700/gal13611-Shuttle-Jack/00.shtm

Challenger MLP/Crawler

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal14/13601-13700/gal13610-Astronaut-Jack/00.shtm

Apollo 14 Alan Shepard

Kind regards

Mick

ApolloMan

Edited by ApolloMan

Thanks Pete, I had made that years ago as a teem, then went back over it once I had the motavation.

Here is my ML2 with Crawler I scratch built last year. A few thousand pieces in these ones.

Challenger019

Challenger016

Challenger018

Challenger017

Challenger014

Challenger015

Challenger013

Edited by ApolloMan

Let me clean up first -- the monitor's covered with coffee spray and the keyboard's flooded over. Ok....that Old 66. I can feel the downdraft and hear the rotor-slap. Just how were you able you simulate those? That's so eerily realistic I don't know what to say. You're a scary sorcerer, man. I'd hate to mess up with you.

Edit: Just saw your new post right after I posted. Where's my lower jaw.....

Edited by crackerjazz

Aw now ... ya just can't DO that! You can't tease us with pix and ... no details!! :angry:

The Crawler ... is it 1/144 and is it the paper model? If yes, then didja use the paper as a guide and build the Crawler outta styrene ... or WHAT??

Don't be shy Mick ... how'd ya build this lovely diorama model?

Thanx

Pete ;)

Hi Mick, Thanks for posting the links! Beautiful work! :thumbsup:

I spoke with you through e-mail in early 2013 and was amazed by the work you were doing on the Shuttle's MLP and crawler.

Please post some close up pictures of the details. I'd like to see those 'Rainbirds' and Tail Service Masts up close. :)

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Here are some close ups of the Masts & pad legs, I will get around to better close ups soon.

Also two of me getting 1st, 2nd & 3rd, at two model shows. It's easy when you are the only one that enters :) There is not many people over here that do Space subjects :(

Edited by ApolloMan

Ok so before I explain some of the details of my ML2 & Crawler. Here are my Apollo models thus far.

Apollo 7, 1/144 Saturn 1B Revell kit. Dedication to Apollo 1

Apollo 8, 1/72 CSM Dragon kit. 

Apollo 9, 1/72 LM Dragon kit.

Apollo 10, 1/72 CSM LM LET Dragon kit.

Apollo 11, 1/144 Saturn V from Bandai, that came out a few years ago.

Apollo 11, 1/16 Al Shepard Resin Astronaut kit, turned into Neil Armstrong.

Apollo 11, 1/6 Buzz Aldrin from Dragon.

Apollo 12, 1/144 Scratch built MLP/LUT with Airfix Saturn V.

Apollo 12, 1/12 Pete Conrad & Al Bean from Space Helmet Models, Training for Moon EVA. (Current build)

Apollo 13, 1/48 Scratch built Recovery model, with OLD 66 SeaKing Helicopter.

Apollo 14, 1/16 Al shepard Resin Astronaut kit. (Eventually will model Ed Mitchell)

Apollo 15, 1/32 CSM Revell kit, with Real Space Models SIM bay kit.

Apollo 16, 1/12 Lunar Rover kit from Ron Shinkle.

Apollo 17, 1/24 Resin Astronauts discovering Orange soil.

Apollo 17, 1/6 Gene Cernan from Dragon.

Apollo 17, 1/6 Gene Cernan from Dragon turned into Jack Schmitt.

(Apollo 18 ASTP, I intend to make in 1/144 & be a splash down model with shoots).

IMG_4590

IMG_4594

IMG_4595

IMG_4625

IMG_4609

Edited by ApolloMan

Well firstly, as I did with my MLP/LUT, I researched ALLOT & downloader as many reference pics as possible from all angles.

I started the ML first with 1mm card, making a rectangular box. Adding stringers, pipes & details with evergreen plastic.

The Crawler is again evergreen plastic, with thousands of pieces of I beam, H beam, half round, round, L beam, tubes, squares. For example the tracks ( channel beam ) from memory have all the feet the real one has. The 4 tucks have there motors, suspension arms, hydraulic arms, pistons. Each truck has about 500 parts.

The base was made of evergreen card, in two boxes that slot together. I scribed the lines in the top to represent the pad. Added the pad legs, drains, & various pipes that disappear into the ML. The flame trench deflector has minor details & the wall was covered in a brick patterned card, & used two sided.

More later, kids just arrived... :)

Challenger6

Challenger5

Challenger3

Challenger2

Challenger4

imageimageimage

Edited by ApolloMan

Mick, Thanks for posting all the pictures. Your Shuttle MLP and crawler are awesome. Building a 1/144 shuttle MLP is on my long term to do list. I had modified a Revell MLP with tail service masts and other details so I have an idea of the amount of work and research you had to do on this build.

Excellent work! :thumbsup:

Mike.

Apolloman, where in Aus are you mate? I'm in Perth. My parents moved here from Florida back in 75.Happy to chat whenever you have time.

I have a really nice paper model of the LUT and Crawler in 1/96 scale from a friend in japan that was never released as a kit. The workmanship on this model is unreal! I will dig out some photos and post for ya to see.

Link: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=280882

Cheers,

Gene

Edited by Apollokid

Hey Mick,

I have looked at your other models in the gallery and I'm very impressed, especially your diorama Apollo 13 Recovery I find spectacular. :thumbsup:

And thanks for the great photos from your outstanding Challenger with MLP-2 and the crawler. That's a coincidence, I am also building a 1:144 Challenger mission (STS-6), which was the maiden flight. :coolio:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman
On 22/12/2014 at 5:34 AM, spaceman said:

Hey Mick,

I have looked at your other models in the gallery and I'm very impressed, especially your diorama Apollo 13 Recovery I find spectacular. :thumbsup:/>

And thanks for the great photos from your outstanding Challenger with MLP-2 and the crawler. That's a coincidence, I am also building a 1:144 Challenger mission (STS-6), which was the maiden flight. :coolio:/>

:wave:/>

Thanks Again Manfred. I have been watching that one for a while, but since joining have not had a chance to jump back on. It looks great, its where I got most of the drive from to finish mine. Thanks heaps :cheers:

Also Mike, pictures you requested :salute:

IMG_4360

IMG_4361

IMG_4362

IMG_4363

IMG_4364

IMG_4365

IMG_4366

IMG_4367

Edited by ApolloMan

Welcome Mick, VERY impressive work you're showing here. Glad see you here. Great group of guys we have and getting more and more good space modelers. Great place to learn and share. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

BTW, who produces the "It's been a long way..." Alan Shepard astronaut? Or did you sculpt it? I would love to get one of those!

Bill

On 22 December 2014 at 10:51 AM, niart17 said:

Welcome Mick, VERY impressive work you're showing here. Glad see you here. Great group of guys we have and getting more and more good space modelers. Great place to learn and share. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

BTW, who produces the "It's been a long way..." Alan Shepard astronaut? Or did you sculpt it? I would love to get one of those!

Bill

Thanks Bill

shanghai.box on eBay is who I got the 1/16 resin astronauts. I looked on there tonight, but found none. Maybe message him & ask about them. I made the Neil Armstrong with it & in the process of making Al Shepard with a pose of a LMP from A15,16,17.

kind regards

Edited by ApolloMan
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Amazing work ApolloMan.

Makes me think I should just sell my stash off as it'll never look as good as what you've achieved. Your Saturn MLP.... :jaw-dropping:/>/> I mean, how!?

Ben

Thanks Ben :cheers:/> Please do not get rid of ya stash, I find the best way to make a model look good is the research :google:/> . Find as many reference pics, blueprints, personal accounts, anything. Then concentrate on one area at a time, if it gets to much, move on to another section. I usually have several models going at once :doh:/>

Good luck & keep moving forward :salute:/>

Edited by ApolloMan

Does anyone out there know of this Model builder? It looks around 1/24 :woot.gif:/>

I'd be very interested in conversing with this genius :worship:/>

Pascal Hecker from Europe.

Here on ARC, he's 'bubble'. Find a posting and send him a message. He is a professional and does do some lovely stuff.

Pete