Health Effects of Fumes

Well first of all it's a terribly bad idea to breathe them in freely and we should operate in a well-ventilated area and I'm sure everyone knows that, but then aside from that, I feel that this forum/community can use a sticky that reminds everyone of the health hazard of those paints in the long term.

I feel there isn't any in-depth discussion of the health effects and hazards, but I feel it's something we all should/would rather have a clear and proper understanding of what this stuff can do to you. For example, what happens if you breathe it in? Are respirators fume-proof? How long does it stay in your system, etc. What short-term and long-term effects are we looking at?

I'm not sure if there are any health professionals in this community to share their expertise or someone who's read and learned what happens, so I kinda wonder/hope someone can share what they know.

Thanks

I have dealt with people with hearing loss (not a Doctor). Toluene for example is known to operate as a co-morbidity with noise exposure. I am unsure of the mechanism, but if you are exposed to occupational noise, the damage caused by that noise can be made much worse by exposure to toluene.

However, from the research I have read, the doses have to be pretty high and before you even notice the hearing loss there would be a number of other symptoms such as eye irritation, nose irritation and skin irritation that you would notice first.

The other thing I will add is that genetics may play a huge role in this. It seems a bit nuts to me to 100% say these chemicals will cause massive issues when people get all sorts of issues without exposure to them. I would however still limit exposure as much as possible.

Probably the worst chemical I am familiar with would be gentamicin. I think it is used in treating and preventing infections in burn victims. It seems the doses need to be very specific otherwise it will cause permanent hearing loss almost instantly. This stuff is nasty, but necessary.

Edited by Alternative 4

The thing is, whilst some of the materials we use in modelling can be hazardous to your health, you need to be exposed to either a huge dose of them, or over a very long period of time, for your health to be affected. Just make sure you take some basic precautions, such as using an appropriate mask whilst airbrushing (hint: if you can still smell paint through the mask whilst spraying, it's not appropriate) or wearing latex gloves whilst handling thinners etc., and you'll be fine.

Vince

Edited by vince14

I agree with what Vince said.

The most important factor is the prolonged exposure to chemicals that can cause health issues.

My advice would be, as you invest in buying some after market detail sets (decals, resin, photo etched, etc) for your next model, you should also invest in buying a good-quality mask in order to avoid inhaling any kind of fumes (from paints, CA, etc). Also, a pair of glasses and some latex gloves.

I have to admit when I started this hobby I wasn't thinking about my safety and/or any kind of health issues BUT now, I always have handy a set of all the above.

Better be safe than sorry!!!

Every chemical that ships in the U.S. is supposed to have a Material Safety Data Sheet. This is a fairly standard form to assist handlers and emergency personnel in case of a loss of containment. Among other things, it lists health effects. You can get them online. If you know a chemical's name and/or formula, there are other online resources with the same or more detailed info.

I'd be cautious of making this a sticky since this subject is rather esoteric and mysterious to the vast majority of modellers. A health professional should write the initial article.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I also think we should be careful not to make a hype out of this. Personally, I think regular smoking is far worse for someone's health than being exposed to the fumes while we are doing our hobby.

It's all about common sense:

As with any type of solvent, you should wear protective clothes if you can't manage to keep if off your skin. I wear gloves when airbrushing complete models, but do not use them when airbrushing smaller parts. I also use a respirator with an organic and particle filter when I am spraying paints, or using solvents that I know are more harmful than others.

Also, when sanding resin, I use a dust mask. Resin in it's cured form is not harmful, but breathing the dust will harm the lungs.

BTW, I checked some modeling chemicals and was surprised. Did you know that one of the main ingeredients of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement is used as a flavour in the food/candy industry? But I wouldn't dare to try that stuff in my mouth.

I don't think OSHA regulations apply to private use (not commercial or professional), so it's up to the individual modeler to protect his health. If a product is deemed to dangerous, it taken off the market by the authorities. This is when modelers start complaining until a replacement is found.

My conclusion is that unless you are using other chemicals than the ones you can buy in your hooby shop, and use them for the designed purpose, they are safe to use. However, if you start to thin your paints with MEK or toluene, you better know what you are doing and how this will affect your health.

Started painting cars in 1979 and the only long term health issues I've encountered is advanced arthritis in my hands, from air tool vibration. Air hammers and mud hogs are particularly grueling tools to use on a regular basis.

Common sense and personal responsibility can go a long way and sadly are underrated commodities these days.

Ken

There is a lot of bad information out there, both over stating and under stating hazards. The MSDS mentioned above is a great way to get an idea of the hazard a new to you chemical poses. Easy to find these online for most substances (it is how I keep my binder of them current at work).

The Material Safety Data Sheet was replaced this past year with the internationally recognized Safety Data Sheet (SDS). Basically the same info, just in a more uniform world wide format.

Yes, these sheets are required for the workplace, not the home, but the info is good for anyone who wants to know the recognized hazards.

Edited by Aaronw

I use the old tried and true....I read the warning labels on each new product I purchase that I haven't used before. Where needed I heed the usage and handling precautions and go from there. Most of us if not all know that paints and thinners especially lacquers are harmful if you inhale the fumes, and skin absorption is a sure way to get them into your system. Resin is fairly new in plastic modeling. I say that because for as long as plastic models have been around resin is a fairly recent addition, extreme care is required, and don't think you can see every minute particle produced during sanding or cutting, your eyes AIN'T that good, exercising due caution will go along way I for one am glad the US gov't forced Tamiya and others to print the labels on their thinners and other products in English, although I used the same caution with them as I do with any product made here in the US.

The thing is, whilst some of the materials we use in modelling can be hazardous to your health, you need to be exposed to either a huge dose of them, or over a very long period of time, for your health to be affected

That's not entirely true. It's true for some things, but not for others. And for many (I might even say most) of the nasty things we use, there really isn't a great body of evidence to prove their safety, even at low levels. We used to think low level exposure to DDT wasn't harmful to humans either. The problem is, the people who do most of the safety studies on a lot of things we bathe ourselves in are the people who sell those things.

I'm not trying to be funny, here, but based on what I've seen at club meetings and contests, I'd say poor diet and lack of exercise are a much greater health hazard to our modeling community than occasional exposure to small quantities of some of the chemicals we use.

Ben

I'm not trying to be funny, here, but based on what I've seen at club meetings and contests, I'd say poor diet and lack of exercise are a much greater health hazard to our modeling community than occasional exposure to small quantities of some of the chemicals we use.

Ben

I'd "like" that statement if there was the option!

I'm a gear head, and growing up around rebuilding and maintaining old classics, and working very closely with some fantastic folks - who will forget more than I'll ever learn - I learned the right and wrong way of dealing with the various chemicals, strippers, paints, etc., along with the everyday things, like oils, lubricants, coolant fluids, and so forth. And I know I'm not alone here. Not a self professed expert, but always learning, and I'm sure a lot of you out there can say the same. (I'm using vehicle maintenance as an example).

We also can go around the house and without reading the warning labels, know that certain cleaning products are safe, while others are far from. Things we deal with on a daily basis. We store them appropriately (for the safety of kids and pets for example), and we also know what we need to wear while using them - or if there is no concern at all, like using a water and vinegar mix to clean things; no need for the precautions we would take if we used, say... simple bleach.

Soooo... we have a hobby we are partake in. Some daily, while others every-so-often... but none of us are 100% sure of the appropriate precautions to take. And I'm just as guilty of it. As a kid, I remember the testors model cement, and loved the smell of it (read: I wasn't just playing with glue as a kit, lol). Same with some of the paints. Even though it was used in a well ventilated area, and I learned from my dad to leave the room if it ever got too strong... but, who knew about the warning label required in California about the danger to pregnant women?! That label came out sometime after I started building.

I digress. I was surprised at the lack of hard info on this. Even doing the ole googletron search for hazardous amounts, risks, precautions needed - aside from common sense - comes up with very little. Our hobby has been around for quite some time, why isn't there anything yet? I'm wondering if there is a member on this board who does have the appropriate background (or, rather, regular job) that would be able to give us hard facts and black and white answers to this. If not, is there another option we have, as a model building community, to seek out the risks with the products we use on a regular basis?

Mark.