WC-130J - Building a 1/72 Hurricane Hunter

Following my C-130H "Screaming Eagle" build: see that thread here

I got inspired to pull out my Testors/Italeri C-130J kit. The Testors boxing of the C-130J was the first J to hit the shelves back in the 90's. Basically, this kit is the same old Italeri C-130E with the new 2100 engines and 6 blade props.

It should come as no surprise when I say, adding 2100 engines and 6-blade props does not a C-130J make. There's a lot more to it.

To make this conversion work, you need Parts Tree F from the Italeri boxing of the C-130J or just start out with that kit. If you already have a either the Testors boxing or the C-130E/H kit, you can contact Italeri through their website and request for this tree. Explain why you want it and they will be happy to supply it to you for $7.50. Getting this tree makes the process a lot easier. If you have the E/H boxing, you will need to either get aftermarket engines and props or request the engine and prop tree for Italeri.

Here is the beginning of the WC-130J conversion:

First, the forward sponsons are in the wrong location. The forward sponsons need to be moved forward. The left side of the aircraft is very easy to do this since the forward sponson is a separate piece. The right side forward sponson is not so easy as it is molded to the side of the fuselage. Notice there are some other changes to the right side forward windows that are going to have to be addressed as well. Also, all the NACA intakes need to be filled.

IMG_3023_zps53599aed.jpg

The right side forward sponson needs to be removed. Carefully use a scribing tool and razor saw to remove the forward sponson. Then use sheet styrene to reconstruct the side of the fuselage. The newly separated piece will need to be modified using Parts Tree F, Part Number 15F (AC Pack Intake Scoop)to match the C-130H/J configuration.

IMG_3025_zpsee4e0572.jpg

Here is the dry fit of the new forward sponson locations:

8fb99938-8ec6-437c-bf65-2c46ebe3c25f_zps1bd54a76.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

To fix the left side, I am going to use both left side sponson parts. I am going to use the GTC part with the NACA intake and modify the APU part.

Here are the differences in the two left side forward sponsons. The left one is the GTC (Ground Turbine Compressor) version for early aircraft. The right one is the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) version for H1-H3 and J aircraft.

IMG_1921_zps9994ab1d.jpg

Here is the left side extended. I used Parts Tree F part 1F. Modify the APU part (1F) by cutting approximately 5/8" measured from the aft side of the part. This becomes the plug. This is also the APU exhaust. Graft the two pieces together then fill and sand.

IMAG0065_zpsrf3dog0c.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

Nice Start Steve, using the kit engines or after market?

:thumbsup:/>/>/>

:popcorn:/>/>/>

I'm thinking the kit engines modified. I saw an article somewhere on the net that shows how to fix the kit engines...now ask me where I found it... :dontknow:/>/>

Edited by SteveV22FE
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to their email, they are also working on a sponson correction set. That will be very welcome. I just hope that it's reasonably priced. The Wolfpack correction is about $80.00.

That would be nice. As good ad the Wolfpack set looks I agree it is a bit expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as good as they looked in the box, the opposite is true for the fit.

Advertised as a replacement with little to no modification necessary, these are not that.

If I line up the top of the nacelle to the kit mount, there is a pretty significant step. If I sanded it to match the aftermarket nacelle, there would be nothing left on the bottom of the mount. This is true for all four engine nacelles.

They are also a little narrow in the width. The length appears correct.

As right now, these are unacceptable and I can't use them for my build. I am going to contact Attack Squadron/ArmaHobby and hope for a response.

IMG_3208_zpsapa8rhfb.jpg

IMG_3207_zpskpj4jksi.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

They indeed do look horrendous and unusable. Maybe you should get in touch with them, and ask for your money back, or at the very least correctly fitting parts.

Joel

They sent these to me as a review sample. So, I didn't pay for them.

I did contact them and told them that I don't feel right reviewing these parts and that they need to address this issue.

Edited by SteveV22FE

I am sorely disappointed. My thinking now is to modify and correct the kit nacelles. All I need is one good nacelle. Copies can be cast from it.

The engines and sponsons is what will make or break this project. The sponsons are 95% done. The Attack Squadron engines were going to fit the bill perfectly and now this.

I was told to use the OzMods engines, but they're really not that great either. OzMods engines are correct to the real aircraft, not to the model. I really wish the aftermarket folks would make Fit, Form and Function parts that fit the kit, not the 1:1 scale subject.

Steve, you going to tackle the kit parts or wait to hear back from the folks that sent you the resin nacelles?

Edited by SteveV22FE

I have just received word that Attack Squadron/ArmaHobby are checking the molds.

I really hope that this is a simple fix for them. I have confidence that they can fix this based in their past subjects.

Edited by SteveV22FE