1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster - work continues

Ye Cats, Ray!! That's amazing!! All the work you've done to correct so many defects, and you haven't thrown it in the bin yet 😀!  And the interior and other details you're adding are excellent!  Keep at it - I've got to see how this turns out!

Cheers,

Russ

PS: I never realized how much bigger the C-17 is than the C-130 till I saw your pictures...

• 2 years later...

A local lockdown brings renewed interest in the Anigrand C-17 Globemaster, some time ago I decided to check the fit and sit of the landing gear components and and the start of the 3rd or 4th reshape of the nose/cockpit, the shape had been bugging me and I have realized I added too much putty to the nose, so some of that will be coming off.  I also sawed the roof of the cockpit off in another attempt to get the windscreen panels the right shape and size.
50809449268_f96eb970b9_b.jpg

50810304852_2e49d47eb9_b.jpg
50809449218_93df4556ec_b.jpg

50810190031_51efa4f7bc_b.jpg

50809449098_8317e725b8_b.jpg

and with my near completion C-130J-30
50809449063_8e1f168a62_b.jpg

I had also scribed one of the wings some time ago using the Revell 1/144 kit wing as a reference

72_C-17A_Mar19_26

So the top of the other wing was done the other day as part of a club online build day.
51492496280_cc274f97c2_b.jpg

I then turned my attention to the underside and as I was getting close to finishing it off some of the line locations conflicted with the flap track fairing locations. I turned to the Revell wing and compared locations and found they were out on the Anigrand wing. It turns out the engine mount locations were also off.
51492280889_ce0d7ae584_b.jpg

So I drilled new mounting holes for the fairings, that's better!
51491567726_7b265dd800_b.jpg

Then I compared the shape of the Anigrand fairings to the Revell ones and guess what? They are wrong as well! Who would have thought! 
51491567696_460a13ef3f_b.jpg

So out with the files, plastic card and putty to reshape them. The new shapes are considerably different
51491567636_9319c644be_b.jpg

One set almost done, then onto the others using the first set as templates. Keeps me occupied for a while I suppose.

Finally after I saw another modeller who had vacformed a windscreen for his Anigrand YC-15 over I Facebook, I approached him to buy one. That was in April 2020, after an almost 18 month wait it arrived here, so I did some test fitting and fettling and it is ready to be fitted. It is so much better than my efforts and has saved a lot of time.
51351008871_e60ef31896_b.jpg

Time to carry on with the wings.

Edited by Trojan Thunder
3 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Mate, after all that work you did on the canopy you must be feeling a mixture of relief and anger at finally having a better shaped cockpit window. 

More relief Si!

It was putting me off doing any more to it as I could not get it right. The good thing is that is progresses again.

Thanks again guys, I did a test fit of wings parts after reshaping another engine pylon, one left to do

72_Anigrand_C-17_237

Also finished the wing scribing

72_Anigrand_C-17_233 72_Anigrand_C-17_234

Fit test

72_Anigrand_C-17_235

72_Anigrand_C-17_236

Looks like the number 3 flap track fairing is a little short and will need to be corrected

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 5 months later...

Anigrand.  Somebody some years ago said it means, “not quite right” but for the dedicated craftsman, as good a starting place as any.  You have to have b*lls this big to attempt this bit of resin creation.   You are beating it into submission and it will be spectacular.  You have given attention where every correction was needed and it’s rounding out well in the final lap.  

i remember 20 years ago a guy who doubted his abilities on these boards and now, you are the jedi master who is unafraid of any kit that stands in your way.  

You should be very proud.  I knew you were going to get very, very good at this.  

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
4 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Anigrand.  Somebody some years ago said it means, “not quite right” but for the dedicated craftsman, as good a starting place as any.  You have to have b*lls this big to attempt this bit of resin creation.   You are beating it into submission and it will be spectacular.  You have given attention where every correction was needed and it’s rounding out well in the final lap.  

i remember 20 years ago a guy who doubted his abilities on these boards and now, you are the jedi master who is unafraid of any kit that stands in your way.  

You should be very proud.  I knew you were going to get very, very good at this.  

Aw shucks Fang....   Thanks.