Anyone notice that Airfix has announced a new 1/72 Shackleton MR.2?

Noticed and immediately ignored ;-)

Neither the RCAF nor the Ilmavoimat had any, so it's not exactly up my alley.

Nice to see a modern one finally show up.

Edited by mawz

Doubtful.

No doubt the nice Mr Xtradecal will see us right onj that score

New tool, or yet another Frog reissue?

Almost certainly a new tool from readings on other forums, in that the the MR.3 molds are beyond tired & the conversion is very extensive. At the very least a huge retool but without seeing it I'd put my money on a new tool. Talk about a famine then a feast....

Steve.

Did Revell Germany not announce sometime earlier this year that the Frog Shackleton molds were unusable anymore due to cracking and other forms of metal fatigue and that they would be scrapped?

I'm personally hoping that Airfix will tool their Shack in such a way that they will offer up an AEW conversion set in the same manner that they did with recce and tanker versions of the Valiant.

Given Revell's recent 1/72 Halifax and B-17 kits and their hangups, I'd sooner wait to see where Airfix goes with theirs.

• 3 months later...

English Modelling mags have indicated that the Airfix moulds are intended to cover both types and that it now looks like the Revell will be the same kit so maybe the deal involved gives Revell first shot at the AEW but Airfix makes money off the moulds eitherway ....

P.S. I understood that Revell only got the "German" aircraft in the Frog line and that the rest went to Russia (U.S.S.R. at the time) including the Shackleton as the Russians did not want the German planes for political reasons. I don't think Revell ever had the Frog kit.

Edited by RCAFFAN

English Modelling mags have indicated that the Airfix moulds are intended to cover both types and that it now looks like the Revell will be the same kit so maybe the deal involved gives Revell first shot at the AEW but Airfix makes money off the moulds eitherway ....

The Revell and Airfix kits ARE NOT related in any way, shape or form. They are NOT The same kit. There has been no deal of any sort between the companies, this is a straight head-to-head first past the post shoot out. And as the Shackleton preservation trust have made clear, Airfix had full access to the goodies, Revell didn't. Place your bets!

The March issue of SAMI believes they are the same mold and that Airfix and Revell are sharing as they did with the recent Concorde kit. Since only Airfix has shown any info (CAD drawings) on developing the kit, this makes more sense than anything else as your Shackleton preservation trust has no say in the matter other than who they allow to access their particular plane. Your out and out denial does not seem very plausible on the evidence as I'm sure Revell and Airfix don't make all their dealings public so how can you say for sure..

Edited by RCAFFAN

First things first. Airfix are not sharing the Concord with Revell. Heller are. The Concord was never an Airfix kit. It was Heller, and when Humbrol divested itself of Heller the tooling stayed with Heller. So that has zero connection to Airfix. Airfix have never collaborated with Revell, full stop. The Airfix kit is well past CAD. Airfix showed test shots built up on their own site several weeks ago. Revell? A picture in their catalogue. If you think my denials are implausible then that's your prerogative, but Airfix and Revell have never collaborated, and would appear to have no plans to. And SAMI have no better access to Airfix than anyone else I'd wager. Why would they? But, you know, whatever you want to believe!

Oh, and as far as the SPT goes, it was FAR more than access to the plane. They are the design authority for the aircraft following an agreement with British Aerospace in the 1990's , and have all remaining design and production documentation for the aircraft. Access to THAT as well as the aircraft is what's important in that story. Airfix had it, Revell didn't.

Edited by Dmanton300

The March issue of SAMI believes they are the same mold and that Airfix and Revell are sharing as they did with the recent Concorde kit. Since only Airfix has shown any info (CAD drawings) on developing the kit, this makes more sense than anything else as your Shackleton preservation trust has no say in the matter other than who they allow to access their particular plane. Your out and out denial does not seem very plausible on the evidence as I'm sure Revell and Airfix don't make all their dealings public so how can you say for sure..

The March issue of SAMI believes wrong. They are not the same kit.

SAMI had it that Airfix were doing all three versions of the Shack - the moulds make it clear that's not the case (and you'd need pretty much new moulds anyway). SAMI are renowned for putting half-baked rumours in their magazine as 'fact'

I was only repeating what SAMI said, and have no idea if right or wrong but I have seen no proof from Drew that the kits are in fact different and suspect he has no proof either. Since Revell hasn't done any real research as he says maybe they have plans around this such as sharing moulds as they are famous for but until we see both kits who knows. We will have to wait and see.

I was only repeating what SAMI said, and have no idea if right or wrong but I have seen no proof from Drew that the kits are in fact different and suspect he has no proof either. Since Revell hasn't done any real research as he says maybe they have plans around this such as sharing moulds as they are famous for but until we see both kits who knows. We will have to wait and see.

I;m not actually trying to start an argument here, but I seem to have anyway. You're right, I have no proof. What I have is the weight of history and and the established relationship between Revell and Airfix (to whit - none at all) on my side. Revell and Airfix have never collaborated. On anything. Ever. That's a historical FACT. What you have is something reported as fact from a magazine renowned for reporting wildly speculative rumour as such. Generally the first clue you need to double check something written in SAMI is that *it's in SAMI*. But you're right. Time will prove me right, not speculation on here.