Toying with the idea of starting my own decal line specializing in Helicopters from all branches of service (USA,USAF,NAVY,USMC, and COAST GUARD) and in all scales 1/72,1/48, 1/32, 1/35. Would be from Vietnam to present day more than likely starting out with some Hawk stuff then working outward, the new MH-60S kit has some great markings that I am drooling over. Nothing set in stone yet but looking for feedback to see how many here would be interested.. Erick

How about serving a need for the 1/144 scale community? DML makes all kinds of H-60's, Sweet makes SH-3's, and Revell makes an amazing AH-64D. So far the decal choises are too few and far between. Just an idea y'all might want to think about.

MattP

Erick

Great Idea, but have you really considered the size of the market for this? Put your personal interests aside and look at this from a business point. There is a reason helicopter models are not top sellers. The interest/market is not very big. The smaller the order quantity for most decal printers makes the per item cost pretty pricey. And every one that does not sell just puts you farther into the financial hole that makes the next item more difficult.

Another thought is almost all the really great artwork Flygirl is putting on Navy stuff includes gradients and transparencies that are about impossible to do properly with silk screen printing. There are options out there.

I would love to see some of the Navy stuff in decal form. I have profiled almost all of them, but they mostly would be really interesting stuff to lay out as decals. The fit would be critical to specific kits as most cover the entire tail/aft fuselage. A careful paint instruction and decal would be in order.

Not meant to discourage you at all, would like to do just the opposite, but please be sure you're doing this for the right reasons.

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

Erick, I'm a bit late to this topic but I'd be all for seeing helo decals too, I'm a big fan for anything helo and wish there were more kits out there. For decals though I'm probably in the minority in that I don't care for the special/fancy markings, I'd rather have a typical line scheme.

As Norm hit on, you may have an issue with the market base for them. If you're not aware already, Microscale and Cartograf have a minimum print quanity of 250 and 300 sheets respectively. And it will be multiple thousands of dollars up front to cover the printing cost; and more colors required, the more money.

I just started doing decals myself with zero experience prior, process was overall easier than I expected but it took/takes a lot of time upfront. Considering my time invested, I will never get my return for "labor" but the selling price would at least cover the out of pocket money I had to spend to print, shipping materials, and postage. But I enjoyed doing the research and decal artwork process and most of all I covered subjects I wanted and it turned into a hobby into itself, so I'm not overly at a heartache if it turns out I'm still sitting on unsold decals years from now (though would be nice to sell them all of course...). Obviously others may feel different about that prospect of unsold sheets than I. Something to consider.

I'm with Salvador, I'd like to see more foreign subjects as well. That being said, they probably wouldn't be as popular with the average modeler as more familiar aircraft.

Edited by DonSS3

i think it would be great to have more decals available to the helicopter market. maybe the market would be bigger if there were more options and variety available to modelers. Do heed the experience of those before you who have tried to make a business, but if its something that you would really like to do then find a way and dont get discouraged. maybe start small, start with something you know well and make it awesome. build a fan base and then when your reputation as a company is solid, then expand. personally, i would LOVE to see more options for army aviation, ESPECIALLY Black Hawks, and i would be happy to contribute reference photos (although i didnt take the best of pictures back then - i was too busy having fun on the job!)

either way sir, good luck and i wish you success in your future business because when you succeed, we all succeed.

-Ramon