M.E.K. or Methylene Chloride

Yessir, I don't quite understand your question, but M.E.K. is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. AND, it is nasty stuff if not handled properly. It can cause havoc with your body, and it is very flammable. It is used in a lot of "stuff" that we modelers use, such as glues, paints, and so on. The same goes for M.E.K. as does most of the "stuff" that we use. Use in a well ventilated area. Wear organic breathing apparatus. Don't handle with bare hands, because M.E.K. is quite readily absorbed through any bodily tissue, i.e. hands, lungs, etc. In other words, M.E.K. can be safely if used properly. I am sure that our neighborhood chemist, Triarius, will chime in on this one. He is much more learned in these matters than I am. Be safe!

I've used methylene chloride in my modeling for years. Started using it when I discovered that a quart can of methylene chloride was only a dollar more than a 2 ounce bottle of IPS Weld-On #3 (which for all practical purposes is almost pure methylene chloride). If you take proper precautions (ie properly ventilated room, protective mask, Eye protection and rubber gloves) you shouldn't have any problems.

Gentlemen, I have never used Methyl Chloride. (or maybe I was using it and didn't know it!) But, Hawk hit it right on the button when he mentioned the safety issue. I use M.E.K. for the same reason. A quart of M.E.K. (essentially two or three lifetimes worth of the stuff) cost me just a bit more than a small bottle of modeler's glue. And, it works almost identical. It has the consistency of water, evaporates quickly, and essentially welds the parts together. A lot of the glues that we use contain M.E.K. anyway. Again, safety is the issue. Good ventilation, proper breathing equipment, rubber gloves, eye protection, etc. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...

DOnt get either of them on your skin.... they absorb super fast into the bloodstream.... Both are really bad for you... but frim what Ive read Methylene Chloride is alot more toxic and a stronger carcinogen.... Keep these away from youngsters as they can cause a plethora of developmental problems