French Mirage Colours

Hi guys

I need the correct colours for the French Air Force Mirage III E/R. The Grey-Blue and Green camouflage colour. Not much on the web about the FAF. I know that Air International Magazine Vol 9 Number 9 (approx 1975) has an article on the FAF possible it mentioned the colours, anyone who can supply me with a scan of the article? It will be much appreciated. My email is: mechinf(at)netactive.co.za.

Regards and a prosperous New Year to all!

William Marshall

Pretoria, ZA

French colors are hard to research. I believe their system is called colmar. The standard FAF grey is a darker grey with a bluish hue similar to dark sea grey. The standard green has an olive cast to it more then British dark green or FS 34079.

I'm niot an expert but I've seen French aircraft lined up near RAF and other NATO aircraft ( German F-4's) in similar schemes are the tonal differences are noticeable.

I'm working on the Italeri F-1 right now, about ready to paint actually. The paint callout in the instructions are grey = fs 35237 ad green = fs 34092.

Not sure that's right, but maybe a start ? I did a Mirage 2000 earlier this year and used Tamiya xf-61 Dark Green and xf-54 Dark Sea Grey. I think it turned out ok. But I'm not an expert. Just looked close to photos by my eye.

Will watch this topic with interest.

I'm working on the Italeri F-1 right now, about ready to paint actually. The paint callout in the instructions are grey = fs 35237 ad green = fs 34092.

Not sure that's right, but maybe a start ? I did a Mirage 2000 earlier this year and used Tamiya xf-61 Dark Green and xf-54 Dark Sea Grey. I think it turned out ok. But I'm not an expert. Just looked close to photos by my eye.

Will watch this topic with interest.

I think that grey match is definitely wrong. That's the top trim color in the TPS . It's too blue and too light.

Don't forgot that the NATO grey is a local mix in Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy and Germany so there are big variances. I would go with the German RAL callouts.

Gris vert fonce/ dark green : Xtracolor X375 or X391, Humbrol 75, Lifecolor UA091

Gris bleu fonce/ dark grey blue : Xtracolor X376 or X254(Basaltgrey), Humbrol 92, Lifecolor UA108

Aluminium : Xtracolor X378, Humbrol 56, Lifecolor LC 74, Modelmaster 1781.

I would personally go with Xtracolor. If you can give Hannants a phone or email as the colours are still available but they've changed X--- codes on more than one occasion.

Edited by scotthldr