1/32 Su-7 Fitter full resin kit

Gianni,

I plan on doing a boring USSR silver scheme with red bort numbers.

I had wanted to paint this as a wild and exotic Czech or Egypt camo jet, but those export versions are Su-7BMK, which has an apparatus on the tail fin which this kit lacks. The ebay seller also sells a BMK with the right fin if you're interested.

Terry

Gianni,

I plan on doing a boring USSR silver scheme with red bort numbers.

I had wanted to paint this as a wild and exotic Czech or Egypt camo jet, but those export versions are Su-7BMK, which has an apparatus on the tail fin which this kit lacks. The ebay seller also sells a BMK with the right fin if you're interested.

Terry

Hi,

Czech AF used many BM with camo, here the link for google search:

My link

BMK variant was only for non Warsaw Pact countries. CzAF camo it's a very good idea and I hope you will choose one. Really nice build. Good luck.

While deciding whether to build a Czech jet or Soviet jet, I discovered a frustrating problem with the kit.

According to Google pics, Czech jets did not have the outer wing pylons. Some Soviet jets and Polish jets have them, but not on any operational silver painted jets. The outer wing pylons were only found on museum displays (Soviet and Polish) that were painted silver, or camo'd Soviet jets. After some more research, I found that the outer pylons were installed after 1972, by which time the Soviet jets were camouflage painted, and Czech AF might have retired their fleet already.

The problem with the kit is the base of the outer pylons are integrally cast into the wing, and it extends all the way to the flaps. Therefore in order to build a Czech NMF jet or any silver painted jets, I'd need to Dremel off the base, which runs a high risk of ruining the very thinly cast wings. Here is how the base looks like for the outer pylon, notice it goes all the way to the flaps:

image.jpg3_zps1b0sk7ko.jpg

So I think I'll just go build whatever that pleases me, and leave the pylons in there. So at this moment I'm digging NMF with multiple shades of Alclad, with Soviet red stars and some generic red bort numbers.

In other news, I closed up the canopy bulk head with a plastic sheet with fictitious details. The whole thing is filled with fishing weights and is deceptively heavy.

image.jpg1_zpsjrmacwsy.jpg

Also working on the ordnance:

image.jpg2_zpsz3rvjr1c.jpg

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort

While deciding whether to build a Czech jet or Soviet jet, I discovered a frustrating problem with the kit

The problem with the kit is the base of the outer pylons are integrally cast into the wing, and it extends all the way to the flaps. Therefore in order to build a Czech NMF jet or any silver painted jets, I'd need to Dremel off the base, which runs a high risk of ruining the very thinly cast wings. Here is how the base looks like for the outer pylon, notice it goes all the way to the flaps:

image.jpg3_zps1b0sk7ko.jpg

So I think I'll just go build whatever that pleases me, and leave the pylons in there. So at this moment I'm digging NMF with multiple shades of Alclad, with Soviet red stars and some generic red bort numbers.

Terry

Terry, the long outer pylon is actually correctly shown on the model for Su-7BKL

Sergey

While deciding whether to build a Czech jet or Soviet jet, I discovered a frustrating problem with the kit.

According to Google pics, Czech jets did not have the outer wing pylons. Some Soviet jets and Polish jets have them, but not on any operational silver painted jets.

Well yes you have right, I don't know why but Czechs didn't upgraded BM, only BKL ( Polish AF upgraded all aircrafts after 1972 ). All Soviet aircrafts ( except UM ) produced after 1969 had six hardpoint and almost all earlier produced machines got them starting from 1970, so if you want camo BM with six hardpoints only solution is some Soviet scheme. Here the example:

66c523e20d8fea6bmed.jpg

dda0ea1c8681760bmed.jpg

67926b6900e979b7med.jpg

477a417633295a2dmed.jpg

1733ebda3b822ad6med.jpg

This scheme is from Modelsvit 1/72 Su-7BM kit and show aircraft from 229 APIB Birofeld airfield East Germany, late 70's. Great work so far.

Edited by foxbat155

In Czechoslovakia was Su-7BM as nuclear attack bomber. Attack fighter-bombers were MiG-15SB and Su-7BKL and later MiG-23BN. Therefore were not upgraded to version BKL.

I gave photo Su-7BM CSAF with wings for Su-7BKL.....

czech5606_zps6a38248a.jpg

... only bomb racks removed and it's OK :thumbsup:/>

Edited by harvy5
  • 3 weeks later...

I've done touching up and further weathering and effects on the camouflage over the weekend.

First I worked on the green. This is how the camo looks without the effects:

image.jpg1_zps6z4nls2c.jpg

I misted on patches of yellow on the green:

image.jpg2_zpsq4hhx1kx.jpg

Then I added a drop of the green into Tamiya clear gloss (almost like a green tint), and sprayed it over the yellow to blend it back into the green:

image.jpg3_zpsl9o6m6mk.jpg

Now tan patches over the dark brown:

image.jpg4_zpsib2b5ueu.jpg

then tied it back with brown tinted Tamiya clear gloss:

image.jpg5_zpsxemtcobw.jpg

It's still looks somewhat "meh" at the moment, but once I do some post shading, highlight the panel lines, then tie everything together with weathering and a flat coat, it will look better.

For the tan, it's already quite light so I don't think the fading effect is needed. I do need to post shade it and weather it with some grime, though.

There are still some touching up, and the odds and ends to be painted (tail interior, pitot tube and such, dielectric panel etc). Then I'll gloss the whole thing and apply decals.

Terry

Good progress made on the big Russian tube.

I did some post-shading, then gloss coated it with Alclad Klear Kote, then a panel line wash, then applied some generic bort number and red star decals by Delta One. Now here she is:

image.jpg2_zpshhak2yud.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsvmibdoh6.jpg

Next I'll work on the various odds and ends (landing gears, ordnance, pitots etc), then flat coat and final assembly.

Thank you for looking.

Terry