I'm trying to stay away from favorite flat coat -- Testor's Dullcote.

I've experimented with Future/Tamiya Flat-base, Windsor/Newton Matt clear acrylic and Liquitex Matt (or something like that). There's nothing else that's readily available here.

I've noticed that these will pool in to little dots of clear and they end up drying splotchy on the surface, gloss-coated with Future. I've tried thinning all of them with distilled water, Tamiya's acrylic thinner, Windex...etc. with the same results. Light misty coats around 10-12 PSI, to heavy, wet coats (which of course caused other issues).

I've noticed that these work well on flat, painted surface, but not when it's glossy. Would lightly sanding the surface to provide the clear some grip help?

Any idea on how I can lay down a nice matt coat (like Dullcote) with the above mentioned acrylic matt clears?

I've already ruined two almost finished projects and I'm getting somewhat frustrated here.

Had the same issue initially with the Il-2 when I wanted to dull down the paint. I found that by warming up the Tamiya dull coat before airbrushing helped quite a bit. Warm water, and I left the bottle (after shaking it up) in there for a good 15-20 minutes. Once I was ready, I shook it like it owed me money. Didn't have that issue after that. Same setup as you had, perhaps just slightly higher PSI (around 15 PSI), but no more splotchy dots. 2-3 thin coats, and it dried nice and dull. Hope this helps.

Mark.

I don't care for acrylic clears, if something goes wrong there's not much you can do to correct it.

Stick with the Dullcote Lacquer, works every time, and if something does go wrong, you can fix it.

Curt

I'm with Netz on the Dullcote. It's bulletproof. However, I have tried using more acrylic clear coats. The problems arise when you don't have it mixed up. Acrylics don't stay mixed up very well compared to enamels and lacquers. Warm it up and stir the snot out of it. Also, when you are ready to spray the model, spray your mixture on a test dummy first.

There is no smoother flat finish on the planet than Testors Dullcoat thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner. Stick with that. As has been mentioned, it is bulletproof. The only time you have to worry about the supposed yellowing with Testors clear coats is if you apply them heavily out of a rattle can.

When it comes to acrylics, I agree 100% with "Snap Crazy Captain". Tamiya's XF86 Flat Clear is great. I thin it a bit with Tamiya thinner and add a tiny squirt of Windex which keeps my fine tip airbrush from clogging. Great results time after time.

Thanks guys. I can't seem to find Tamiya's flat coat @ the LHS.

I'm looking for alternatives mainly because I'm not sure how long our LHS will stay in business and I can't mail order hobby paints (due to shipping restrictions). I'm experimenting with artist arcylics/oils, etc if/when the LHS' go belly up and/or my supplies run out.

Try Ammo of MIG Matt Varnish for a dead flat or their Satin Varnish for a flat varnish with a light shine. Thin with their original A.MIG2000 thinner. Those are the best flat/semi flat varnishes I tried until today! It resembles me a bit to the old formula Polly Scale flat varnish in the green labeled bottles, but Ammo of MIG still is superior. I dont´t really like Ammo of MIG´s range of normal colour acrylics, but their varnishes are superb stuff! Try it and you will be satisfied.

I've been using Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat since the early 1970s, and just never had any issues with either of them. I use Future only for hand glossing small parts that I'm just to lazy to air brush.

Joel