Removing Tamiya Flat Base + Future because I messed up bad

Anyways so I was applying my finishing coat after the the decals then I messed up... bad. It started with perhaps spraying too much onto the plane and causing some drips and uneven surfaces. I saw this small white spot so I decided to rub it off. I ended up rubbing off the pre-decal coat too that was underneath, which created a model plane's version of a batman 2-face. I decided to wash everything off and redo it all instead, but what ends up happening is now my plane is covered with white frosting which I suspected to be either dried Tamiya Flat base or also the Future.

Is there anything I can do to salvage my plane, or how I can get rid of it all? I am trying sanding but I can't seem to get to the seams. I wonder if there's anything I can use that can remove that flat base white frosting without hurting anything else like the paint underneath...because once the paint melts too, then I'm obviously back to starting line.

When I mess up with acrylics, windex and q-tips help clean it up. I just dip the q-tip in windex and lightly rub the paint off - works for the airbrushes as well. Unfortunately, all the acrylic paint comes off down to the plastic in this process. I hope this helps.

I'm not a fan of tamiya base because of the very thing you had. If the mix is not perfect, it can ruin a model.

I've heard that if you overspray again with just Future, it can gloss over the frost and make it clear again. Others have had to strip and repaint.

Good luck!

Something similar happened to me a few months ago, I ended up sanding and repainting. However, I heard later on about spraying the entire model with lacquer thinner, I would give that a go. I actually had some frosting occur the second time around on my Phantom build and used this trick with perfect results, although the frosting was only very mild in this case.

Good luck,

Marcel

All I can say is holy shoot (I literally said that 20 times or so) when trying the reapplying the Future technique as Storm had suggested. That stuff works like magic. I was thinking to myself, "Well my model's already fracked up, so nothing to lose right?" as I attempted it. And surely enough, ALL the frosting disappeared. The plane is still wet as we speak, but daymn I literally watched my baby restored to original colors as it occurred.

Man, if there is a God of Modelling and Craft somewhere up there, I bet you his blood flows Future or something. That stuff is crazy.

Just to be clear: when you say Tamiya flat base, are you talking about X21? Because if you are, keep in mind this is an additive for Tamiya gloss paints, to make them more flat BEFORE airbrushing. It is not a flat coat.

Edit: Ok, seems I've talked before my turn. I didn't know people were flatcoating with a mixture of Future and flat base. My bad.

Edited by huntermountain

Is the a particular reason why you're using Tamiya Clear flat base and Future? I've read about others having issues with Tamiya X-21 X-22. Personally, I've used Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat since the early 1970's, and I've never had a single instance where they ruined a finish. If a lacquer base isn't an option for you, there are also a few excellent Acrylic based clearcoats such as Vellejo and Microscale.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

... However, I heard later on about spraying the entire model with lacquer thinner, I would give that a go....

Good luck,

Marcel

Hey..this actually worked! It did smooth out the frostly/splotchy look.

I used an OTS, Lacquer Thinner from our local hardware store.