I've been wanting to build this one for a while...like for the past 25 years or so. I used to turn wrenches and fly "unofficially" as a COD bubbah. One of these in '48 scale has always been a dream (along with the E-2C!), so, when it hit the streets I of course had to get it. I'd been putting off starting it in order to gather a few of the aftermarket items for it. Namely the wheels (Royale Resin) and the Eduard detail sets.

That being said, OOB this kit builds into a great model! But being somewhat intimate with the subject I wanted to go all out...well, as all out as I can anyway.

If I had to point out any "major flaws" in the kit they would be;

1. The APU exhaust, starboard side just aft and below the co pilot window. It is represented by a blanked off hole.

2. Hydraulic service panel. Located along the starboard fuselage, is a rather large rectangular panel that opens to reveal the hyd service connections.

3. Missing one of the overhead escape hatches in the aft fuselage.

All easy fixes with a little scribing and a little scratch building.

First thing I did was get on the APU exhaust port. I drilled out the hole and thinned the plastic on the inside. Then cut a piece of plastic tube at the correct angle. I put some heat to it and bent it appropriately. Fashioned the supports and was in business.

DSC_0012_zps94a568d1.jpg

DSC_0013_zps331aef0d.jpg

DSC_0108_zps512bfbbb.jpg

DSC_0107_zps88f4a231.jpg

If you do this, you will have to cut the aft cockpit bulkhead and part of the floor to make room. No worries, the forward electronics rack covers this area.

DSC_0015_zps8156b9f7.jpg

DSC_0016_zps2377829b.jpg

The next area I addressed was the aft cargo/crewman area. The side walls are a bit bare and also the overhead on the real thing has an equipment rack and supporting structure not represented in the kit. Long and short of it, this is a pretty busy area to the eye but the kit provides the basics. The Eduard interior detail set provides a nice representation of the cargo ramp area side walls. I scratchbuilt the overhead support and used pieces out of the scrap box the represent pneumatic bottles and hydraulic filters, walk around O2 bottles, etc. There will be actuators in the overhead as well to represent the rudder and elevator controls. For the Radio faces I used Reheat p/e...love those generic sets they used to make.

Rack_zps80781a3a.jpg

DSC_0158_zpsa5a2669f.jpg

DSC_0157_zps17b3c3e6.jpg

Next, I'll start on the passenger seats. My plan is to remove the solid plastic supports and replace with supporting rods to more represent the real deal.

Looking good.........Although not one of my favorite aircraft, definitely one I'd like to build sometime just because of how different it is. good luck with the rest of the build......looking real good so far.

Elmo

Great work. Funny how OCD we get on building the aircraft we've worked or flew on. Your improvements are excellent.

Jeff

Or anything we're involved with for that matter. Everytime I see a carrier build or dio, I find myself picking it apart without even realizing it.

Bill

Still poking along on the interior of the COD.

I added the step to the cockpit, just drill out an oval hole in the aft bulkhead piece before gluing in place:

DSC_0256_zps44a31c20.jpg

Then on to the passenger seats. They come with solid plastic base/supports and I didn't like that look so I removed and replaced with some Plastistruct cross member and Evergreen rod. My original intention was to do the first couple of rows, figuring you liklely won't see all the way forward...but AMS set it and I did them all;

DSC_0253_zps610125b4.jpg

DSC_0255_zps0b46e629.jpg

Note; There are holes in the cargo deck for 12 rows of seats but only 10 sets of seats. Not a big deal as configurations vary but, the aft two rows are the crewmember seats...so start at the back and work forward.

next thing I added was the cargo ramps. They aren't included in the kit but fleet CODs have a pair stowed on the port side aft bulkhead. Made from Evergreen and Plastistruct and fashioned the stowage brackets from scrap photo-etch;

DSC_0257_zps355f9270.jpg

My next task is to make the overhead survival equipment stowage area.

Very interesting subject Whitey!

I'm interested to see the aircraft's interior configuration as a COD. I have the ESCI S-3 as a COD but never dared to start building it. Especially since I don't have the Goffy Model cockpit. :angry:

Good luck with your build!!!

Whitey, you're COD looks fantastic. I've never really seen a COD being built up, but from all the reference pictures out there, I think you're certainly setting the bar high up!

Cheers,

Mark.

ps. You should order that 1/48 Vac of the P-3 now... by the time you're wrapping up the COD, your straight-jacket P-3 will be ready for you!

Edited by Aurora Mark
  • 3 weeks later...

Slow going on this one, I was out on the road for a week or so as well for some work business but back on it.

Still plugging away on the interior. I finished up all the passenger seats and got them glued into place this afternoon. Very repetitive task...not fun. But hopefully worth it to a degree, not sure how much will be visible once the fuselage comes together. Prior to that I scribed floor panels and seat tracks into the cargo area floor then moved on to paint and weathering.

I used the Eduard pre colored interior for the cockpit. I sort of feel like it's just a step above using decals, the side consoles are especially two dimensional but I'm going to knock out a few small discs to make a few knobs to dress it up. I do like the details they provide for the center pedestal. The E-2/C-2 center pedestal is a busy area of knobs and levers. I added the wing fold lever (co pilot side, lower) displayed in the "wings folded" position as well as the parking brake "T" handle ( aft, center lower) and "Cat Grip" "T" handle at the top in front of the power levers.

DSC_0137_zpsd5486ba2.jpg

DSC_0138_zpsf7d7e554.jpg

DSC_0136_zps13174dfb.jpg

DSC_0135_zpscff9af26.jpg

I'm still painting the interior side walls and made the overhead emergency equipment/liferaft stowage area using some 1/48 "armor" accessories and strips of tape.

DSC_0140_zps7a681cd8.jpg

DSC_0139_zpsad6375c7.jpg

I still have a lot of interior painting ahead but should be getting the fuselage buttoned up this week.

Nice works on this interior, it looks great even the parachutes are looking top notch

folded up Ramp down?

Thanks for the compliment.

Definitely ramp down after all that interior work. If I ever build another though, it's staying closed up!