1/32 Sturmovik snafu

Greetings all -

I am hip-deep into the Hobby Boss 1/32 Sturmovik, and I'll be damned if that freakin' engine doesn't come close to fitting properly in the fuselage. Not only are the mounting points not sturdy, but when the sub-assembly is in place as per the instructions, the exhaust stacks will not protrude from the fuselage slots!!!

I triple checked how I assembled the engine itself, and knew there might be a problem on the horizon when the rear bulkhead that gets attached to protruding struts on the engine made the bulkhead lean way further than perpendicular.

I have resin exhaust stacks, and they appear to be in perfect scale with the kit version, which have to be carefully assembled by gluing two halves together, and will use them.

Of all things, this kit has clear parts so you can show off the engine inside the cowling! I think this problem can be solved by tearing off the valves and gluing them up against the interior of the cowling with a little sprue to create a modest gap, and then glue in the exhausts from the outside. Then I'll have to figure out how to install what's left of the engine so the prop will have something to get attached to.

I just want to know if anyone else has had this same problem. I've been building for many moons, and I have never run into such a poor fitting sub-assembly. All I need is for one guy to tell me I'm not meshugga, that he knows what I am talking about, and jerry-rigged a similar fix.

Happy New Year to the ARC community of builders -

JA