1/48 HB F-14B Tomcat: Jolly Rogers!

BJ,

Impressive doesn't do your build justice. An absolutely 1st rate paint scheme and decaling effort.

I have Eduard's Danger Zone HB F-14A sitting on my to built shelf. Sure hope it turns out half as good as yours.

Joel

Looks fantastic. Makes me want to bring my HB F-14D next on to the bench. How did you deal with the seam line running down the exhaust tubes? With the B, the GE nozzles perhaps make the seam less visible but I had an A and that was a major source of headache, which eventually forced me to abort the project!

BJ.... just simply gorgeous work! I hope my own canopy work comes out as good as yours. It looks like glass with no bleed over. Extremely skillful and just great to look at!

-Mark

Thanks Mark

Result was achieved thanks to set of particular skills, plus Eduard masks :)/>/>. Now seriously, there are some blemishes on that canopy, you just can't see them on the pictures. This is second time this happened to me, and like before it probably has something to do with time the masking tape was on the canopy (a couple of months). Seems to me that adhesive comes in to some kind of reaction with clear plastic. Never had this issue when masking tape was applied for only a couple of days.

BJ,

Impressive doesn't do your build justice. An absolutely 1st rate paint scheme and decaling effort.

I have Eduard's Danger Zone HB F-14A sitting on my to built shelf. Sure hope it turns out half as good as yours.

Joel

Thank you Joel!

After seeing some of your models here, I'd say it turns out at least 85% as good as mine :)/>/>

Looks fantastic. Makes me want to bring my HB F-14D next on to the bench. How did you deal with the seam line running down the exhaust tubes? With the B, the GE nozzles perhaps make the seam less visible but I had an A and that was a major source of headache, which eventually forced me to abort the project!

Hi Janissary

Well, the engines...For me one of the biggest mysteries (next to the riveting) of this kit. When you see the effort they put to add all the external detail (not visible) and then you see those alignment pins and holes inside the tube (visible), you have to ask yourself: where is the logic here??

Anyway, I have not even tried to sort that out. The seam lines are still there, I only removed the alignment guides. I'm quite relaxed about it, because you can't really see it in normal circumstances, in daylight.

I have not seen the A variant breakdown, but this is how they did it in B:

DSC_3668_zps21hhlmhp.jpg

End result:

DSC_3683_zpsfr498tqn.jpg

With flash:

DSC_3669_zpsztawlr98.jpg

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

BJ,

Believe me, I'd be thrilled to settle with 85% :thumbsup:/>

From the instructions, I can see that they made those alignment pins so that they're visible from the inside. Didn't seem to be a very big issue with your exhausts, as the painting and weathering just "makes them invisible" to the viewers eye.

Joel

• 5 weeks later...

Slowly getting there...

The question is..... WHERE are you going!? Haha.

Looks great BJ! What else are you working on with this kit? I am not a F-14 guy per se so I am not studying your pics for what may be left. I can't wait for the photo's of the finished bird.

-Mark

Wise words, Aigore :)

The question is..... WHERE are you going!? Haha.

Looks great BJ! What else are you working on with this kit? I am not a F-14 guy per se so I am not studying your pics for what may be left. I can't wait for the photo's of the finished bird.

-Mark

Thanks, Mark

List of things to do is as follows:

-fuel tanks

-wheel wells doors

-antennas

-LANTRIN pod, bombs and some missiles

Talking about the stores, what was the usual load during last cruise missions?

Great looking Cat! Love the paint work!

I am a fan of the HB Cats... There are a few accuracy shortcomings, But nothing that I cant live with.... And the HB offering goes together way better than the Hasagawa!

Looking forward to seeing the completed kit!

Dave

Talking about the stores, what was the usual load during last cruise missions?

Hey BJ! You probably already have your "load out" for your bird by now but, I will offer up my opinion based on what I have read in regards to your question. I am by "no stretch" an expert so hopefully some other Tomcat experts have/or will help you confirm or suggest other "load outs" for last cruise sorties.

You could arm your bird with AIM-9L's and a LANTRIN pod for last cruise stuff. From what I have read VF-103 got "to the game late" for OEF in 2002 and didn't get to drop any bombs while in country but, you could arm the "cat" with some GBU-12's in addition to the AIM-9's and the LANTRIN pod. I would guess that even though ordnance was not expended you could probably have seen some "cats" loaded "to go."

I hope maybe that may help. I currently only have one source book for my tomcat needs and I am sure it is not the "definitive" book on the subject.

-Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...