Ever since seeing the new MH-60M from the 160th SOAR, I've wanted to build one with the new UES installed. To me,that is one bad looking Black Hawk and now that Cobra Company has a UH-60M detail set and a MH-60M set in the pipeline, along with the new ceiling modification I drew up (thanks to Andy Bass for the initial drawing), I finally decided to jump in the water.

I still need to order all the detail sets and decals, but i'm going to model a MH-60M from the 4/160th SOAR based out of Joint Base Lewis McCord in Washington.

My bird will be a UES hawk-tail # 20276.

It has the number 63 in the window of the cargo door and since my friend Joe Pascetti was the crew chief on Super 63 in Somalia, it felt like that was the helo I wanted to do.

First, I began to modify the rear troop wall to better replicate the wall of a MH-60M from a pic I found on the net.

imgHandler_zps8tx1oyhn.jpg

I cut .020 sheet styrene for the bottom half while using .010 for the hell hole access doors followed by .020 sheet for the middle.

Here's what I've got so far. I need to order some rivet decals for the bottom wall and make some latches for the doors and then it should be finished.

1230140458_zpst8hckuf_edit_1419933585249_zpsu93sfvns.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Looking forward to your build. I'm surprised that this hawk doesn't have the large fuel cell at the rear of the cabin. Just about every MH-60 I've seen has this installed. I always thought it was pretty much a standard fit.

I think it is. However, I also think it is removable. Here's one of the shots I took in Yakima that shows it installed. It must be mission-dependant. If you don't need the fuel, you don't need the weight of the tank. Also, it probably is removed when they just need more space. It does seem to take up quite a bit.

IMG_9560_zpsbc14ad6b.jpg

Tim-I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!

Edited by strikeeagle801

Hey-

Indeed the aux tanks are a mission kit and can be installed and removed as the mission dictates. On the Navy MH-60S you can install one or two 200 gal tanks or no tanks. I suspect the MH-60M would be the same since the tanks are all made by the same company.

Phil

Thanks guys, I guess for a paradrop mission, they would have to remove the fuel tank.

My bird will have the tank installed.

Tim

Hey Tim, if your bird is going to have the fuel tank installed will the rivets be visible?

I look forward to following your build. I hope to be able to borrow from your techniques. :whistle:

Chris

Hey Tim, if your bird is going to have the fuel tank installed will the rivets be visible?

I look forward to following your build. I hope to be able to borrow from your techniques. :whistle:/>/>

Chris

IMG_6790_zpsfui4kows.jpg

After looking at this pic, it looks like the whole bottom is covered by the fuel tank, I guess there's no need in riveting the bottom of the wall!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

They've got the armored floor in that pic too. If I can, I'll try to get around your tail number at JBLM and get some specific shots to see if it is installed on yours. I know it is the same way...It can be removed as needed. During their trip over here, the Chinooks did NOT have them installed. More weight to carry the Rangers around.

Aaron

Hey guys, is there advantage or disadvantage to start a MH-60M from the MH-60DAP version or the MH-60G version? Thanks.

Chuck

Yes, I meant building a MH-60M.

Edited by otis252

Just an FYI for you DAP fans. The 4th does not have any DAP kits, and does not fly that mission. Ft. Campbell does, however. Also, from what a pilot said, if you are modelling a DAP, there is no passenger capacity at all. The whole back is filled with fuel and ammo.

Hey guys, is there advantage or disadvantage to start a MH-60M from the MH-60DAP version or the MH-60G version?

You would be better off starting with the MH-60L DAP kit. There are a bunch of MH-60L-specific parts (a whole sprue worth - instrument panels, radar and plume detectors, center nose-mounted weather radar, FLIR parts, SATCOM antennas, chaff/flare dispensers, etc., etc...) that are not included in the MH-60G kit.

Edited by HeavyArty

Hey-

Just as a follow-up to the aux tank discussion, the above pics of the M show that it looks like Army is still using the square 200 gal aux tanks that sit side-by-side in the aft cabin. I think this is also what comes in the 1/35 scale H-60 kits including the Navy MH-60S kit. Just a caution that this is not correct for the MH-60S, as they use the narrow 200 gal tanks that sit front-to-back when they carry both. This gives then the ability to carry a single 200 gal tank and buy back some cabin space. You can take a look at the tanks at www.robbietanks.com.

Hope this is helpful.

Phil

the above pics of the M show that it looks like Army is still using the square 200 gal aux tanks that sit side-by-side in the aft cabin. I think this is also what comes in the 1/35 scale H-60 kits including the Navy MH-60S kit. Just a caution that this is not correct for the MH-60S, as they use the narrow 200 gal tanks that sit front-to-back when they carry both.

The Academy MH-60S kit comes with the new, narrower tank on the new sprue of Navy-specific parts (upper left in the below pic).

aca_12120_parts2.jpg

Well, after looking at my rear wall for a little, I realized it still lacked the detail I wanted, so I redid the wall by removing the small strips and walling it in with .020 sheet styrene and redrilling the holes. I then added the internal tank fuel pump? to the wall using .080 rod.

I'm waiting for the glue to dry before I sand it flat on the end.(I need to by some CA glue).

Just need to order some HO scale rivets to put them on.

I also added small 1mm strips around the access doors to simulate the l shaped pieces attached to the doors, but I still need to make some hinges out of thin foil.

0106150327_zpshvjjcya_edit_1420533002682_zps4zgexvob.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
  • 3 months later...

Well, after mulling over my decision and the fact that Oliver wants me to continue my build, I've decided to do just that.

This one's for Rotorman.

After 4 months of wait, I finally got the chance to start on it once again.

Tonight, I began to apply the resin rivet decals I ordered. These things look like the real deal, but man are they delicate and a real pain to apply right.

So here's the back wall about half way decaled and I also began to work on the 2 fuel inlet and outlet lines coming out of the wall.

0502150327_zpspzaeaoot_edit_1430551733668_zpsugkutzbt.jpg

Sorry about the bad lighting, My living room lights stink!

Until next update!, clear up right!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench