Jack was probably the first person to let the rest of us into the nightmare called "Route Pack Six." He introduced us to other men like "Kingpen Six", and at times called out their pluses and minuses. He was very outspoken, and would call a spade when he saw a spade. I applaud him for that. Never realized he was that old, but also never thought much about it. Jack was gone before I got out on the border, so we never heard him on the "fire push." Others yes. Might have heard Olds at one time or another.

I never knew that Jack wrote a third book! I will hunt up a copy for sure as his books are a great read. Robin Olds book is a dead parallel to Jack's books. I have a 1/48th F105D and will get another. Want to build Jack's plane and Kingpen Six's.

gary

I read Thud Ridge and even saw a few of the places he had been at Clark A.B. years ago.

He was also assigned to the 5th F.I.S. which was assigned to in time for the transition to the F-15.

I regret not having a chance of meeting him.

A shining example for all, he told the truth, made it known where the problems were, no matter who it was, who was screwing the pooch, and got shafted for it. He should have been at minimum a 3 star....but when you step on toes and they belong to folks with more pull than you, you'd better don your asbestos flame proof BVD's. RIP Col. your legacy will speak for itself, and many admire you for your convictions, and having the cojones to make them known.

The very first military history novel I actually read was "Pack Six" by G.I. Basel when I was probably in 7th or 8th grade. I quickly got hooked about the air war in Vietnam and F-105's. I followed that one up with Col. Broughton's "Thud Ridge" and just continued to want more. I read "Going Downtown" a year or two later in high school and just ordered his third book "Rupert Red Two." A true legend and a personal hero of mine. You will be sorely missed Colonel.

A shining example for all, he told the truth, made it known where the problems were, no matter who it was, who was screwing the pooch, and got shafted for it. He should have been at minimum a 3 star....but when you step on toes and they belong to folks with more pull than you, you'd better don your asbestos flame proof BVD's. RIP Col. your legacy will speak for itself, and many admire you for your convictions, and having the cojones to make them known.

Jack's plight wasn't as uncommon as many of us believe. My all time favorite injustice was Col. Anthony Herbert of the 173rd Brigade. Herbert was (and probably still is) the most decorated person in the U.S. Military. He was assigned the IG slot in the Brigade, but held some other positions. He had a combat tour in Korea that was hard to believe. Was well known all over the world for his exploits. The General staff in the 173rd were a joke, and he basically called them out on it. Folks were dyeing every day due to their incompetence. They literally drummed him out of the Army to cover their butts.

We saw the samething down at Mary Anne. Lots of folks lost their jobs and others had their careers ruined, but the ones at fault were literally left untouched. Then afterwards they got the rest of them for a B.S. incident that's been done over and over for a hundred fifty years. The base was untenable on a good day, and had the ten cent General asked the folks that lived in the area for an opinion they'd had a change of heart. Instead eighty young men died.

Khe Sahn wasn't any better. They got themselves in an unwinnable position after being warned about the place for two years. But they took orders from an Admiral that had never stepped foot on the ground. The day before the start of Tet in 68, they sent Abrams up there to relieve the entire General Staff. Of course nothing happened as every warm body was needed. But afterwards they did the job all the way to the guy in the boat. Who lost out? The guys in middle management. Sure the big boys were retired, but they never lost a dime.

gary