CF-104 Red Colour

I am finally getting around to painting a AETE (Test) CF-104 in the natural metal scheme. I am wondering if the horizontal tail and the tip tanks (on occasion) are a fluorescent red, fluorescent orange or just plain red?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Don

I am finally getting around to painting a AETE (Test) CF-104 in the natural metal scheme. I am wondering if the horizontal tail and the tip tanks (on occasion) are a fluorescent red, fluorescent orange or just plain red?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Don

Hi Don,

The horizontal stab will be red. The tip tanks have been seen in a variety of dayglo red/orange as well as red and over all bare metal. You really need to do a bit of photo research on the specific bird you're building in that time frame to see how the tip tanks were finished. Some tip tanks were also modified to fit cameras in them to film stores release tests. Do you have a specific tail # and time frame you're looking at?

Cheers,

John

Hi Don,

The horizontal stab will be red. The tip tanks have been seen in a variety of dayglo red/orange as well as red and over all bare metal. You really need to do a bit of photo research on the specific bird you're building in that time frame to see how the tip tanks were finished. Some tip tanks were also modified to fit cameras in them to film stores release tests. Do you have a specific tail # and time frame you're looking at?

Cheers,

John

Thanks John. I am doing an 1963 AETE 104 either 701, 702, 703, 704 or 705, There is a great black and white photo of the 5 of them in the Bashow book on page 14. I have seen colour photos where the tanks look orange and others where they look red...

This is the colour version of that photo...

104-1_zps6df0d2d9.jpg

Florescent Red-Orange FS28913 (Model Master makes this) with about 10% Guard Red added would probably work pretty well.

Thanks Rider Fan! I can see that the tanks and panels on the intakes are different coplours than the horizontal stabilizer from your photo. Colour photos, especially in books, can be deceiving when it comes to fluorescent colours, in my experience.