Hi Folks-

Recently, the subject of banners has come to the attention of the moderating staff. While we recognize the importance of banners as an affiliation with group builds, some of them have grown quite large as of late. This can cause a problem for people running a monitor resolution of 800 x 600, which forces the reader to scroll left to right to read posts in scome cases.

We'd like to ask that all banners be kept to a maximum width of 750 pixels. As an example of an ideal banner size, check out some of the excellent banner work done by our very own Ming Ho (raptor22). If you notice, all of the banners that he has created are 750 x 150 pixels, and this is a good baseline for banner size. It's large enough to get the point across, yet small enough to accomodate 800 x 600 monitor resolution.

Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated by the moderating staff. Thanks for your time and consideration. :lol:

Just curious......

How many people actually still use 800x600 resolution?

Jeff

Well... there are users out there who still use 800x600 res on their monitors. We can't judge them for that but we can try to accomodate for them. As much as I want to express my works to other people, I still need to remember that I want everyone to be able to see it... and have them see it without any restraints, inconveniences, or anything that will cause them to have a hard time viewing it.

Let's put it this way, I have a BIG 20 inch flat screen monitor, and sometimes because of the added width on banners and attached images I have to scroll over to the right to get all the text in a message. Also, not everybody here has a fast DSL connection.

:wasntme:

Old Blind Dog

Very pertinent points gents

I too have a wombat powered internet connection and would also appreciate if posted images, as good as most are, were kept to about 700 max so that it does not take forever to appear on my 17" monitor running 1024x768. Some images are so large that I still have to scroll across to see the whole image.

:wasntme:

MikeJ

hi

alot of people i know still use 800X600 espically outside the conteniental united states, as sadly computing & electronics in general arnt as cheep as in the US so alot o fppl have smaller monitors adn slower net

flat paneled 17" will set you back $700!!!!!!! basic cable here is $39.99 per month

see what im getting at!!!

thanks to all who keep the pics small, or atleast warn of it!, its HUGELY appreciated!!!! :lol: :wasntme:

regards

Raymond

Guys

In case you did not know, and would like to change settings so you don't see avatars, signatures and/or linked pictures.... you can go to:

My Controls (on the top)

Board Settings (lower left corner)

3 different settings available.

Make any changes, and click Change My Account Options.

This will probably help with dial up connection members.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Just curious......

Jeff

What's wrong with 600x800? It looks fine on my 15" crt monitor. Sometimes I'll step it up a notch depending on the site I am browsing or game I am playing.

I'm running 1024x768 and it still drives me nuts when someone posts a huge image. There are tons of programs out there that can shrink an image.

Another point about banners - if a banner is very tall and the member posts several messages in one thread, then we have to scroll past the image over, and over, and over.

What would be really cool would be if the board could be configured so that it only showed a banner once, the first time someone posts in a thread, then deletes it for subsequent responses in the thread.

WB

Just curious......

Jeff

What's wrong with 600x800? It looks fine on my 15" crt monitor. Sometimes I'll step it up a notch depending on the site I am browsing or game I am playing.

This goes for me too .

Stef

I keep mine at 1024 x 768 myself. Of course, my monitor is only a 15" midget, but one of these days, I'm going to get a 17" flat panel. Problem is, I don't have enough room on my computer desk for a 17 with the way everything is oriented in my computer room, but to be honest, the 15 is just fine for now. My son was happy to get the larger monitor out of the deal as well. <_<

I am a fan of small banners as well since I also use only a small monitor (15" I think, its been so long since I installed it that I forgot how big it is). Why do I keep using this? Because it works and I am too cheap to get a bigger one! Thats right, I figure I need the money to spend on more model goodies and kits that I probably will never build unless I find that I am an immortal like the MacLeods of the Highlander movie and TV series. Of course, flight lessons also tend to put a crimp in my PC upgrade budget as well.

Rant over. :cheers: