Banner 1/350 USS Pennsylvania 1941 conversion

Oh, I'm far from a pro! I build very few ships and the ones I do tend to go way too far. But every now and then I get a kit that I look at for the potential of a showcase build and this one happened to be one of them. Which is why it's not done yet ;)

Ken

It looks just great to me :thumbsup: . One of these days I will need to build a ship...or something that floats that doesn't have wings :D .

Looking forward to seeing more progress. Well done!

Regards,

Don

After a week of sanding on my spare moments the hull still needs some work but the deck is as ready as it'll be. It looks rather bland cleaned up:

001a.jpg

So I gave it a quick coat of linseed oil. It doesn't alter the color like stain would and makes the details pop a little. Here it is halfway done:

007.jpg

You would normally let it soak for 5-10 minutes before wiping it off but I wanted a subtler effect, being 1/350 scale and not 1/1. I'll let it dry out overnight and give it a coat or two of satin lacquer (varnish) tomorrow.

Ken

Well thanks guys. And most of that stuff in that tub is getting ripped apart and redone-stay tuned wink.gif

The deck, as far as I'm taking the woodwork:

DSC01173.jpg

I'm OK with it other than what appears an obvious patch on the bow. Still hoping the anchor chain parts bury a lot of that when it's on.

The next step will be a border. I learned (after the fact) that ship decks are planked with a wooden border on the edge and the planks fill in the rest. Since I'm past that now it'll be a miss on this build (but not on future sailing ship builds) but this pic shows as well as any that there's also a steel-what?-"toe catch"? around the border as well and this I can replicate in strip styrene. Other pics show there's also a trough behind it with holes I would assume are for water drainage:

0138022.jpg

Just the border will be enough for this. It'll clean up the edges on the deck as well as the vertical edges on the hull, and it'll also give me a little something to secure photo etch deck rails to which are really chains or cables on the deck and not solid rails.

Ken

There we go-thank you! Heard the terms before but never knew what they were. So yes, I'll be adding the combing but not the scupper. Gotta draw the line somewhere ;)

Truth is, sometimes you do or these things never get done...

Ken

"Scupped" ;)

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

.010 x .020 Evergreen strip styrene, stood up on edge and superglued down bit by bit. Some cleanup left to do but not as tough as I though it could be. Once the cleanup is done I can mask off the deck and get it ready for some paint.

Ken