Here is my entry. I started this years ago......4 I think, for the B-17 GB.

D0D8029D-D444-4F05-84D8-57DEB86E194E.jpg

As you can see, I was doing an insane amount of scratch building, I fact, my goal was to completely scratch build the interior. But, due to the daunting task of doing that, plus a crazy work schedule at the time, I gave up on this because it just got to be too much to keep me interested. The per thing that stalled me, was that once I installed the kit windows, I realized just how thick they are and how much the distorted everything.....so you can barely make out the details, even in such an open space as the nose

450B1806-97A8-461F-9945-9D9C22799BFC.jpg

F1E4DAF7-A15D-47E7-9732-B911F5261C57.jpg

26AC6468-6025-4AFF-B168-899210DE2F48.jpg

So, I may do some more scratch building, maybe just finish off the nose and lower equipment bay........or just make the last few oxygen bottles.......or just leave it as is and just be satisfied with the work that was finished. I guess I'll figure that out when I start, and see if AMS takes over. One thing I do know, scratch building the whole interior is out, I'm going to close the waist windows and the radio room hatch. I am going to finish this with Mike Grant decals for Lulu Belle. She was one of the first 300, and operated in the South Pacific, so this will be something a little different, it's not very often you see a model of a Pacific Theater Fort.

7C1BEC5C-E1E5-4AEA-9165-F6FE5549E735.jpg

More to come later!

Bill

Yes

Finish it!

I knew when I posted something about a B-17, you'd come sniffing around! :woot.gif: I still have the other one from that GB, 'A Bit O Lace, but I had to deploy before I finished that one, it may be next.

Great interior work :thumbsup:/> ! Gotta love the B-17.

Cheers!

Don.

Thanks Don. There is a lot more detail you could see if I'd zoomed in more, flight control cables and such.....I think that is what killed it, lol

Bill

And so it begins! Tonight I scratch built the Navigators table, and with my feeble attempt at wood grain, I made a really bad map of the Northern Solomons and Eastern New Guinea. If the little plastic people follow my map, Lulu Belle is going to end up on Unsolved History :rolleyes:

A9E3D5B3-BB35-4CA2-8921-856366D3D651.jpg

14CBD4B6-1240-4AC7-8765-ECBB8633DB10.jpg

When I attach the floor, I'll also fit a lag at the front end of the table. Other than that, I'm just going to make supports for the Navigators chair, a lamp, put the windows in, add the gun and the ammo boxes, and make the spring and cable racks to balance the guns and the nose is done. Then I'll move to the lower equipment bay and make more oxygen bottles. Thanks for looking!!

Bill

Well, the navigators seat is done, the support is made from three pieces or round styrene, and the seat is actually the kits bombardiers seat. From most the period photos I have seen of F's, the bombardiers seat was removed and he kneeled on a cushion to make more room. Not sure if that would be accurate for a very early war Fort, but that is what I did.

97D26A86-6777-4196-9661-F8D6B00AC8BD.jpg

6B6FF938-D4E0-410B-9CD1-BA8BA27D062F.jpg

Next up is to scratch build a desk lamp. Thanks for looking!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Show stopper gentleman!! I JUST realized I'm missing the upper piece for the cockpit, that is a complete showstopper. Not yet a major crises, I AM in the process of completely gutting, cleaning and rearranging my model room, and it is in there somewhere. I'm going to give a good look for it on the surface, and if I can't find it right away, I still have plenty of work to do before that becomes an absolute stopper, in fact, I can use it as an excuse to scratch build more! Worse case, I place an add in the classified, or hack the top off a G that I have parted out to make other B-17's.

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Thanks guys, that's definatly an avenue to try. It's got to be in the model room, the kit has never left there. While I was away for work, my wife used it as a storage room, so I'm still cleaning it out, it's got to be in there somewhere.

I retract my statement......it doesn't have to be in there somewhere, I've gotten the room pretty squared away, still can't find it. I even checked the spares box. The only thing I can think of is that it got mixed up and put in the box of another kit, and I am NOT pulling out my whole stash. I just requested a new one from RoG, they say about 8 weeks, that means the original one will surface in 9 weeks, lol.

Nothing reall picture worthy to post, unless you guys want to see future dry :woot.gif: While waiting for the part, I'm going to get the windows installed and mask them. I discovered the navigators seat blocks the view of the oxygen bottles in the lower equipment bay, and unless you get in really close and look around the crew hatch, you can't even see the port side bottles, so I think I won't be making those. However, I have been kicking around the idea of making the bottles for the cockpit, since they are yellow, you should be able to somewhat see them, so they might add a little something. While I was at it, I started thinking about adding ribs to the cockpit, then soaking a paper towel in white glue and make the sound proofing, but, I don't think anyone will ever notice, so I may not........I hate me <_< I am going to add the Eduard IP. I am most likely going to close it up as is, otherwise, I'm going to run into the same old problem and this will end up back int the box. I guess I can make up for the lack of interior with a snappy exterior. More to follow.

Bill

.. I just requested a new one from RoG, they say about 8 weeks, that means the original one will surface in 9 weeks, lol.

Guar·an·teed...unless it doesn't!

This is a specific yet also a general question:

What's the difference between the Revellogram and the RofG?

My LHS has both kits and have been eyeballing them.

And I assume part of the reason there is such a huge price difference is caused by import tariff tax.

TheG has a much more detailed interior..........that's about it. The F kit has a "cockpit" and a floor for the nose, that's it. The G has a detailed nose, cockpit, radio room, and details for the waist. Although ive never tried it, I've been told the parts are interchangeable, with some modifications. I think the molding is crisper on the G. OH, and the revellogram comes with crew figures and a little bomb cart!

Bill

There's no difference aside from maybe decals between the monogram/revell and the Revell of Germany kits. Not sure why there's always a huge price difference but probably import fees. I'm not sure if you can get the kits "new" anymore outside of the RoG boxings but there's plenty of R/M ones still around either in LHS or eBay or on here or whatever.

The G interior parts will fit in the F kit no problem. Only different is the way the wings mount on the F kit so you have to retain some of that. Or modify the F fuselage to accept G kit wings.

Thanks Don, I really appreciate it. When the B-17 GB was going on, there were some awesome references and information going around, and I did some pretty thorough research. My original intention was to build it as accurately as possible, and have every door open, interior and exterior, so you could see as much as possible, but things got so crazy with work, I lost steam on it. And now I am afraid if I start going down that road again.......history will repeat, so its just better I think to finish as is, and give it a really nice, weathered, South Pacific sunburn (faded paint) so I can get it on the shelf.

I did start the IP this afternoon before work, should be able to get that finished when I get home. I also painted the CP floor wood, when I get home I'm going to make a faux rubber mat for the floor out of construction paper, I should have some pictures up WAY later tonight.

Bill