With the fitting involved with using the G parts in the F kit, a modeler would be better off using the G parts to trace out on sheet styrene and essentially scratchbuilding the parts. That way the G parts can still be used in the G kit. And yes, the moldings on the G kit are much crisper and cleaner than the F kit.

The most interesting difference (and on subject with your issue, Bill) is the part missing from this build. Where the G kit cockpit and all of the fuselage for that matter is just right half/left half and sandwich the interior parts within, the F kit has an odd separate turtledeck part for the top of the cockpit with the upper turret and windows fitted in it first. And having built a dozen or so of both F and G kits over the years I have never seen this part fit on the F kit without a fight. It's too narrow at the base and tall at the top.

Ken

You're a true motivator Ken :bandhead2: Lol. Quick post before I head off to work, the IP is painted, sort if, I scratched it a bit placing it, so I'll need to touch that up later, then paint the switches and things, and give it a once over with a silver pencil. And I need to put future on the gauge faces. The floor matting is painted on, I could find any black construction paper, and I had black Vellajo out for some figure stuff, so why not. I have the obvious painting left in the cockpit and the aft bulkhead.

FE1B597C-4352-4700-A59C-0C3767D6E42C.jpg

110A47B1-EB69-4A18-A9BC-1BB3304CFCD0.jpg

B9A251C5-4BE1-4FE7-A465-008132A0526D.jpg

I'm kind of in a hurry right now, I'll post more later. Thanks for looking!

Bill

I got to working on some other projects, and got behind on this, so I had to get out the mustard and catch up. Like I had said earlier, I was toying with the idea of scratch building more in the cockpit, but, after dry fitting the aft bulkhead, I discovered that my previous scratch build had caused such close tolerances, the cockpit floor was hitting the top oxygen bottle in the lower equipment bay. Easy fix with a little surgery, but that did it, I'm going to end up causing myself a&s pain if I do anymore. So, I finished painting the pit, not perfect, but it'll be hard to see anyway.

2C8D3446-9482-494B-9B1E-2C093E159AD1.jpg

18F1A4AD-006F-4E5E-B4A1-E4940EB6C938.jpg

Tomorrow I'll start working on the control columns and the seats, glue in the nose floor and the bombsight, then all I have to do is modify the crap out of the navigators windows to get them to fit and I can glue the fuselage together.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Nice work :thumbsup: ! She's comming along nicely. But watch out that those Confederate soldiers don't attempt to high jack your B-17...it may tip the Civil War in their favor :lol: .

Regards,

Don

Ok, out of town trip is cancelled for the time being, so I got some work done. The interior is just about wrapped up, at least to the point I could close the fuselage.

3F33E3B7-59EC-409A-98A9-6C7B881359B7.jpg

3DD0D429-0B48-4338-97DC-91B3AA4103E1.jpg

20C1280B-0713-4391-B4BD-06D91939EC9E.jpg

2DB6B83C-150C-4A86-95C7-319E2B81F828.jpg

AEF5148D-12F1-4A79-817F-C24705E98402.jpg

Tomorrow, I'm going to work on the control columns and the pilots seats, then work can move on to the wings.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

I've got some plans for a stellar paint job, plus, AMS got the better of me and I'm going to do some scratch work in the main wheel wells since they will be highly visible. I was just searching google for a picture of Lulu Belle I remember seeing, and my build was near the top of the search results........I'm a Google-ebtriy........to much pressure to continue now :coolio:

Edited by rightwinger26

If you can call this progress, I've been sanding seams endlessly. The spots where the horizontal stabs meet the fuselage have terrible gaps on the bottom, they still need to be filled, as does most of the tail gun piece.

DFE4A8DA-4D34-46FD-A7D1-A4CF315E9267.jpg

F1D23EA6-620D-4E43-8548-067FD178F021.jpg

I know pictures of sanding are less exciting to look at than actually sanding, so thanks for looking!

Bill

They may be less exciting, but we all know a huge amount of work can be hidden in those filled seams!

That is a very true statement. I had to start an Airfix -109 as a side project so I can actually add something to my shelf in a reasonable amount of time. Everything I am working is very long term builds.

Thanks Don. So some progress has been made, I got tied up with a ship project I'm working for a few days. I filled the gaps on the bottom of the horizontal stabs with putty, I'm going to use the nail polish trick instead of sanding, I already lost some of the raised panel lines. After getting those cleaned up, I just need to sand forward of the bomb bay, install the last of the windows and the fuselage is done for now.

FE57E616-FA95-416C-8254-DC2E311374BD.jpg

Now, as a little planning ahead, to give her a faded look to reflect New Guinea '43, I'm planning on priming with flat white, hoping that that should give a coat of lightened olive drab a faded look. What do you guys think? I'm planning on adding three drops of white to the olive for the control surfaces and one drop for the aluminum surfaces. It will also make painting on the national insignias a little easier.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

I've learned that lightening the color for fabric surfaces works nicely. I've used white in the past, but next time I'll try gray. Better still may be the complementary color. Just be very careful...as you wrote, just a couple of drops will do ya. :)

I have a different way of dealing with fabric surfaces. After the color coats are done I mask them off before gloss coating for decals. Once the decals are done I'll unmask them for the dull coats. It creates contrast without having to mix colors and mask for paint. Works well enough when there are no decals on them but it's a bit hairy when there are:

l_CA0_L6_A65.jpg

Ken

All good advice fellas, much appreciated. From the few pictures of Belle I've been able to find over the past couple years, it looks like the New Guinea sun took a good toll on her. Note in this picture the difference in the rudder to the rest of the vertical stab, and just the overall "weariness"

7ADF25AE-127D-4823-92F7-ECFE2FAF295D.jpg

Then there is this one.

AD106714-A527-4BC2-8252-7B3508A03235.jpg

I'm not going to go crazy with it, but I feel like the fading effect should be lighter than normally seen. I could go absolutely crazy, fair over the top turret, and paint her in NMF after she was withdrawn from combat! NAH!

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Thanks TT, I always try to add little points of interest to most of my builds.

The sanding on the fuselage is done, at least until I prime!! Using nail polish remover made quick work of the seams I filled, at least by running a finger nail over it, it seems to be smooth and level, but again, priming will tell.

E311A18A-28FE-46B6-8854-5A05C670E351_1.jpg

1C0BCD6B-6CF6-4F83-8BF6-44721037F22C.jpg

F6C87BDD-C5D2-45C2-98ED-E5063F47BE5D.jpg

There isn't much to the wings on this kit, so I'm hoping I can get them put together tonight, or in the morning befor work. Thanks for looking!

Bill

Oh yeah, I need to install the last of the windows, it's amazing what pictures reveal!

Edited by rightwinger26

She has wings!!!!!!!

B6B5C53D-106E-46B0-965A-F194DD930A23.jpg

Just dry fitted for now, the gaps aren't as bad as I thought they would be, really manageable. I need to clean up the edges and fill the holes for the external bomb racks. I'm kicking around the idea of getting some quick boost engines or trying to doctor up the kit parts, not sure yet.

Thanks for looking!

Bill