Kinetic 1/48 F-16D Block 52+, Tiger Meet 2011

I'm building Kinetic's 1/48 F-16D Block 52+, flying for the Polish Air Force at Tiger Meet 2011

Here are the collected bits and references

f-16-start1_zps90716729.jpg

The pile o' parts from Kinetic

f-16-start2_zps072f1e15.jpg

f-16-start5_zps32c0ec6e.jpg

Looks like just one decal sheet and a couple of sprues are the differences from the base kit

f-16-start3_zps76e16637.jpg

At some point, I picked up a Master Models' pitot and AoA indicators from the LHS. Their MiG-21MF pitot saved my bacon on the Starfish GB

f-16-start4_zpsa47bfb2c.jpg

The top markings are what I'll be using. PM me if you're interested in the remainder of the sheet when I'm done (Royal Moroccan Air Force (4,500th F-16 delivery), Royal Bahraini Air Force, Royal Air Force of Oman)

f-16-start6_zps0512d463.jpg

Got the cockpit done. Sprayed it black overall, then masked the panels, painted gray, painted the control levers, and finally dry-brushed silver.

f-16-office_zps178ac2dd.jpg

Working on the seats now; they're going to need some loving to get together <_<

• 4 months later...

Seems it's been a while. Work and life got crazy for a bit. But, the main thing that stopped me was, well, contriving to spill Tamiya Thin on the fuselage :bandhead2: But, it seems I've done this stunt enough that I knew to just pick the model up and let it dry without touching the spill. I'm hoping it will be OK under primer and paint

f-16-fuse2_zps4kvfxec8.jpg

Anyway, I've got the major fuselage assembly done.

f-16-fuse1_zpsyjzejk03.jpg

f-16-fuse3_zpsgdbbk151.jpg

Next, it looks like I need to install paint and install the landing gear.

Oh yeah, as for the seats I mentioned above, I decided to ditch those and go with Brassin seats--much nicer!

Edited by dnl42
  • 2 weeks later...

Moving along again. I've got the landing gear in, wings built, and the spine on.

f-16-fuse4_zpssjd4wo98.jpg

This kit is fighting every step. The roof of the MLG bay along with the middle part of the intake trunk are supported by internal tabs on the side. I was very suspicious of them, and apparently for good reason, as quite a gap was present between the MLG bay forward bulkhead and the fuselage bottom. With some careful tapering, plastic strip filled in the gap sufficiently.

f-16-lower1_zpsjjkotnud.jpgf-16-lower2_zpsb2kicxrc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I cleaned up that huge seam down the centerline of the canopy.

f-16-canopy_zpst87k6nsi.jpg

And the airframe is painted the base color (FS-36375). There's no sign of Toxic River of Tamiya Death! :banana:

f-16-fs36375_zpsmknaodyc.jpg

I'm now working the seats. I got two of the Eduard seats--so much better than the kit versions.

Question about the rear set. According to The Modern Viper Guide, The F-16C/D Exposed, the rear seat is different:

The FLCS (Flight Control System) recorder is mounted to the seat's left side (except for the rear seat of the F-16D), unlike the ACES seat found in other types.

I presume this means that it's mounted on the right side. Yes? I'll need to saw it off and relocate it...

Or the rear seat does not have it? Now I think the only expert to answer this question is Jake Melampy himself...why not sending a PM to him in ARC forums?

Nice progress on your viper! I hope you can keep up the good good work make it finished soon. Only few days until the GBs deadline...

(means: we have still more than enough prices, more than finishers actually)

Or the rear seat does not have it? Now I think the only expert to answer this question is Jake Melampy himself...why not sending a PM to him in ARC forums?

Nice progress on your viper! I hope you can keep up the good good work make it finished soon. Only few days until the GBs deadline...

(means: we have still more than enough prices, more than finishers actually)

Thanks for the idea! Posted a question on the Reid Air Publications sub-forum

I hope I get it done, too! :woot.gif:

You see...just talk with us and "you will be helped". No back on your workbench and continue your beauty!

I already gave up due to so much seasional work and not enough progress yet...but you still can make it!

...we have to get rid of our prices!!

Got the paint applied to the airframe

f-16-camo_zpsfuiqnzac.jpg

I was able to use the kit's version of the wing, vertical stabilizer, and horizontal stabilizer camo patterns. Scaled them up to the right size, cut them out, and taped them onto the airframe. Sadly, the kit's fuselage top and side views conflicted with each other. Worse still, then didn't match the photos of this aircraft. So, I had to do those by hand with masking take. The demarcation line is too sharp, though. I'm thinking I may need to soften them up.

I know that problem, too. Was doing the same precedure making masks. Meanwhile I do freehand camo airbrushing and my refrence no.1 is a picture of the aircraft, then I follow the painting instruction.

Yep, do some softening...wish you a calm hand on the trigger!

A day late and a dollar short, but I will be done this weekend.

f-16-daydollar_zpsljaqzghq.jpg

Remaining:

1. Finish nose and pitot
  2. Paint AIM-120 fins
  3. Finish the seats
  4. Apply decals
  5. Flat coat
  6. Install all the bits

Edited by dnl42

Agree...so put in all your elbow grease and get it done! We wait for you! Keep up the good work!

But somehow very courageous to glue the nozzle parts after painting! Wheww...

Edited by tobiK

Got the airframe decals on! :banana:

f-16-decal1_zpsd8qn4zni.jpg

f-16-decal2_zpsgauaqcwx.jpg

My intention was to only use Caracal's Really Nice decals, but I found out they weren't sized for this kit. The first clue was the refueling door. The door markings were too long when placed. As you'd hope, the Kinetic decal fit fine. With that, I decided to go with the Kinetic's walkway markings. In summary, the refueling door and walkways markings are Kinetic while everything else is from Caracal.

Still have to decal the AIM-120's and centerline fuel tank.

Thanks. This was a bit of a fight, more than I expected. The Caracal decals performed flawlessly. Printed by Cartograf, the smallest stencils were very crisp, they all settled quite nicely. The Kinetic decals were more of a struggle, with some silvering particularly on the refueling door markings.