ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kingoalie

F-15E from the 391st FS

Hey Everyone,

I plan to build a 1/144th F-15E of the 391st FS, Bold Tigers. I'll be modeling 90-0250, which I was fortunate enough to fly in back at Mountain Home.

20150102_221636_zps89609332.jpg

I'll start with the new Revell of Germany F-15E kit. I'm adding Zactomodel's ejection seats, centerline pylon, and burner cans. I also plan to do some more details in the cockpit and scratch build the SNIPER pod. Decals will be homemade using Spejic's templates. The weapons loadout will consist of GBU-12s and GBU-38s.

Cheers,

John

I'll be following this. If you need any help with the decals, I will be glad to make modifications.

Wow! You flew this bird!?!? Nice! Looking forward to your build!

Yes, it was one of seven orientation flights I got when I was attached to the 391st FS.

This will be my second 1/144th F-15E. The first one turned out OK, but I'm hoping to do a little better on this current build.

DSCN4251.jpg

Yes, it was one of seven orientation flights I got when I was attached to the 391st FS.

Hey "Kingoalie," Were you by any chance in Life Support?

Well, my apologies for not responding sooner, and I don't have much to show. I have painted the seats and cockpit (forgot to get a picture). I also spent an entire morning trying to make intake ducts and was not happy with any of my results. So, I decided to make intake covers and then cast copies in resin since I plan to make more F-15Es.

20150419_203759_zpsjlxnt9rs.jpg

20150419_203914_zpspdjcmrrb.jpg

20150419_203829_zps76sczurh.jpg

The real thing:

90-0234%20with%20Wikids%20name_zps286cavnp.jpg

I hope to get more work on this soon.

Cheers,

John

Well, I know the GB is long over, but I wanted to continue to post pictures of my slow progress. Tonight, I managed to scratch build a HUD (still needs tinting), the handle above back instrument panel, and I've attached my resin intakes.

12232939_10103232657944529_1741273672869436332_o_zpsh7drbbrq.jpg

Cheers,

John

Wow! I must have missed this thread.

Nice work. Are you going for drooped ailerons?

I wasn't planning on it, but I probably should since I've put intake covers on and most pictures would indicate the ailerons dropped...

More progress. I was able to spray primer on the model today. Why black primer? For one, I had it on hand, but in 1/144th scale I find black primer helps accent the panel lines after I spray the final colors. It's almost like pre-shading.

85ee680a-efea-4955-b96e-36fc0d80deac_zpsitn5wejf.jpg

I also scratch built a SNIPER pod and have been attempting to cast copies of it in resin. I'm not having much luck in that department.

Cheers,

Ailerons will always be down unless it is right after a test stand has been used or right after engine shut down. How in the world did you get 7 rides???

Yeah I think I'll have to cut amd reposition mine. I was attached to thw 391st when I was stationed at Mointain Home.

Cool, I was a crew chief in the 391st from 05-08. Never got a ride there.