Trumpeter 1/144 Grumman F-14A Tomcat

Getting more use out of Micro Mesh Sanding Pads

After some use of my 3200 Micro Mesh Sanding Pad it started to be less effective. You can see why in the image below:

Micro%20Mesh%203200_zpsgr1ti2db.jpg

Despite cleaning it constantly and wet sanding most of the time, over time the grit at the edges gets worn down. The product loses its effectiveness.

As this is the pad that I have been using the most, it is the only one in the set of 9 that has this problem.

When I was in the local hobby store I checked out the cost of a replacement kit (i.e. set of 9 pads). It was about $30. I couldn't bring myself to part with such a relatively large amount of money to replace one pad. I came away asking myself, what can I do that will get me more use out of the existing pad?

Here's what I came up with. Cutting the pad into 9 small squares increases the number of sanding corners from 8 to 64. The smaller size also feels more comfortable to use and I am very happy once more as I have a very effective product to use.

Micro%20Mesh%203200%20plus_zpsh7se0fjk.jpg

I have the basic set of polishing pads: 4,000, 6,000, 8,000, & 12,000 for almost 5 years, and while the 4, & 6,000 pads are wearing from use, they still work ok for my needs. Your solution of cutting them into 9 small pcs just seems too small for how I use a pad for polishing large sections of a model. There are numerous sites, both plastic modeling and non-modeling sites that sell the 9 pc set for $16, plus all the other Micro Mesh products. Here's one site: http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/abrasives/micromesh.htm

Personally, I'm about ready to switch over to the Novus 2 part liquid paste system using lint free cloths. I've also gotten excellent results using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 and Glazing polishes.

Joel

Interesting decision regarding the recessed panel lines! I was wondering about these in 1/144 scale; I don't have the Trumpeter kit but they are a worry on the brace of (late) Revell offerings I'm trying to hatch. I have a feeling they could make the whole thing look a bit toy-like (besides Revell seeming to use a good measure of 'artistic licence' with the panel layout!) because it is impossible to refine them enough at this scale.

Anyway, this I do know: if you approach a 1/144 project just as you would any other scale and put the same time and commitment into it, you can produce a truly stunning model!

Regarding your panel lines, I agree with your decision. I came to a similar conclusion with my project as well, although 1/48 is not anywhere near 1/144. Like you mention personal preference. I am not sure what is available in your area of the world but, a polyester based putty is the way to go to avoid shrinkage. I have mentioned Mori Mori used in my project and that may be more readily available in Australia. Auto putty like Bondo here in the states is a similar product and generally the grit is not so course even at the scale you are working with here. You would have to test it first. It would go right over the work you have already and seal in the plastic putty as well giving you a more durable surface.

With regards to your sanding, again, sandpapers marketed for auto body repair may be the way to go although I haven't seen anything beyond 2000 grit. The papers are made by 3M available here in the states. I do have some of the finer pads as you are using and at $30 I would feel the same about purchasing additional supplies.

Both the above option could probably be had for less than the replacement polishing pads with change for a burger and get you closer to the polish you are looking for in my estimation.

Great progress. My optivisor would be working "overtime" with your project. Old eyes you know! Looking forward to your next update.

Edited by taggor

Hello again. Thank you for contributing to my build log, all of you have raised some good points and I appreciate those.

There won't be any updates for the next 4 weeks as I will be moving residence. Looking forward to seeing my lovely daughters more often.

I'll be back at the bench as soon as possible as I can't stand the whole process of moving and I am likely to be in dire need of some stress relief when it is all done.

Until then, feel free to hijack this thread with your own pursuits.

Cheers

Hope all goes well with the moving -sounds like you will be in a better position at the end of it all, so worth all the grief!

I'm sure we'll look after this thread for you in the meantime, so you won't come back to find it has degenerated into barabarism (human sacrifices to the Snake God, cooking over open fires, assembling Kitty Hawk kits, etc.)

Make the most of the break! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...