1/72 Academy C.15 2007

What I really like about Hornets is there's planty schemes to choose from. I prefer operational ones, but frankly, ever since I bought my first Academy F/A-18 A I wanted to build the Spanish option from the kit. And now, the perfect occasion arrives :D

I don't really plan on any aftermarket items, but just in case I have an excellent F4Dable Models decal sheet.

DSCN3799.JPG

Oh I'm already excited ;)

Frankly I do not! Damn... I must be getting old. I have a few photos of the very same jet but with a slightly different paint scheme, and without the tiger striped fuel tanks. Guess I'll have to find some pics.

This is the jet I'd like to build.

My link

this is the other one:

My link

I've managed to make some progress with this one. I cut off most of the parts from their sprues - some progress, eh? ;)

DSCN3910.JPG

Thankfully, I also cut up the wings. I cut off the flaps and prepped them for drooping. I'm still wondering whether to put some ordnance on this bird. Well, theres still time to decide.

DSCN3911.JPG

I do however feel a strange urge to build an A-10 from 74th FS...

Thanks for stopping by :)

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I've assembled the fuselage, added the wings and filled the gaps. I've also sanded the flaps to shape.

It's starting to look like a real Hornet :) See?

DSCN3964.JPG

And since to me, the Academy kits are perfect, except for the main landing gear, I've started to rectify this problem.

DSCN3963.JPG

I just have to make the oleo strut. :)

Thanks for watching! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The spanish Hornet is one of my NTM faves too! But just in 1/48...let's see if can build and finish that one in time?

The yellow tank (centerline or underwing, afaik it depends on the year the aircraft took part in NTM) points out nicely and adding a color to the grey airframe. So keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

Oh maaaan... I'm having some troubles with motivating myself to work on modeling... I've barely touched my started models in 6 weeks.

Well, luckily, my both Hornets are ready to be painted :) Just need to temporarily attach the canopies and mask them :).

This is how it looks now:

DSCN4019.JPG

I hope to finish both till the end of this month.

• 2 weeks later...

It only took 10 days to actually paint the Bugger. And here I was, almost ready to glosscoat this beast, painted in overal fs36375 since I've remembered that Spanish Hornets are painted in a single color except for a few ex USN jets. WRONG! So f... wrong... :bandhead2: I went on to check how much weathering should I put on the jet and suddenly it struck me - there are TWO grays on this one :bandhead2: just like most of 'em out there. So it's back to the paint barn tomorrow :bandhead2:

Still, the yellow/white gas bags look awesome :) I'm thinking of adding resin seat to this one, but I'm apparently fresh out of SJU-5's. Guess I'll have to order some.

So the beast is painted :)

DSCN4023.JPG

and decaled ;) It's looking pretty good :)

DSCN4024.JPG

I'm in the process of matt coating the Hornet and finishing smaller thingies. I guess I'll need that resin seat soon...

Thanks for looking :)

Well, this one bugs me no more ;) It's done! The kit decals were quite good, I've had some minor problems aligning the fuel tank decals. I've finished it last weekend, but didn't have the SJU-5 seat. Today I've been going through my stash and I found two Verlinden SJU-5's :D They're pretty nice, while not really accurate for the Hornet seat. Headrest looks like it was mastered from a Hasegawa Hornet seat (the legacy one). Still, doesn't look bad :)

DSCN4025.JPG

DSCN4025a.JPG

DSCN4026.JPG

DSCN4028.JPG

DSCN4029.JPG

Here's the closeup for the seat. It looks passable to me.

DSCN4033.JPG

Thanks for looking!