1/72 Academy F/A-18 D VMFA(aw)-224

It's awesome that GB rules allow for the tiger themed squadrons. This makes my second entry possible. A black tailed VMFA(aw)-224 Bengals jet from Al Assad air base from around 2005. I don't really know yet which markings I'm going to use, since I have the kit markings for a jet with outboard black tails and inboard gray, or MAW Decals for all black tails. I'll just have to look for some more pictures to get some confirmation which of these markings were present in 2005 over the skies of Iraq.

DSCN3797.JPG

DSCN3798.JPG

Thanks for watching!

According to Osprey's US Marine Corps and RAAF Hornet units of OIF by Tony Holmes

Bengal's operated the black tails from JAN 05. With that being said, just the O/B of the tail was completely black, with the I/B having the Fin with a diagonal line to the lower part of the leading edge black.

HTH

regards

Brendon

Edited by Aussie_superbug

According to Osprey's US Marine Corps and RAAF Hornet units of OIF by Tony Holmes

Bengal's operated the black tails from JAN 05. With that being said, just the O/B of the tail was completely black, with the I/B having the Fin with a diagonal line to the lower part of the leading edge black.

HTH

regards

Brendon

Thanks Brandon! This helped out a lot :) I do have some searching still to do. Apparently I've made my first mistake :) Both options considered by me are of the same jet with the same tail markings. There are some minor differences in other decals, such as size of the VMFA(AW)-224 sign, and the size of the stripes on the fuselage. It can be caused by the MAW decal sheet being scaled to the Hasegawa Hornet, howaver, there's no indication of such on the decal sheet. Or (more likely) it's just an error on the Academy part :) I'm off to take some measurements :)

I've managed to push forward with my builds. I cut up the wing and prepared the flaps to assemble them drooped. I've also assembled some smaller pieces, such as fuel tanks and cut off most parts from the sprues.

DSCN3912.JPG

Hopefully next week I'll be able to make some more progress - the most tiresome part is pretty much done. Other one - the modification to the main landing gear - is still before me.

Thanks for watching!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh maaaan... I'm having some troubles with motivating myself to work on modeling... I've barely touched my started models in 6 weeks.

Well, luckily, my both Hornets are ready to be painted :) Just need to temporarily attach the canopies and mask them :).

This is how it looks now:

DSCN4020.JPG

I just love those double seaters.

I hope to finish both till the end of this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeeeeey! It's alive! Alive! Ok... not yet, but I'm getting close ;)

DSCN4022.JPG

That's going to be one sexy looking bird when finised :) But first I have to finis my Spanish Hornet.

Thanks for looking!

Done!

I've used the kit decals. They were of the proper size, while the ones from MAW Decals were too small. Unfortunatly, most markings should have been black, while Academy made them dark gray. GBU-12's and AIM-9 came from the kit, while the LMAV and Litening is from Hasegawa weapon set. I've also used seats from Wolfpak - I've yet to use better looking Naces seats - I simply love them!!!

I might have to dirty those wheels some more...

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4038.JPG

DSCN4040.JPG

DSCN4042.JPG

DSCN4043.JPG

DSCN4044.JPG

Thanks for watching Guys! Hope You like my Hornets :)

DSCN4047.JPG