This is the 1/144 Minicraft B-52H kit, essentially converted to 60-0006, with a rather nice and bright colour scheme.

A few pics of the real aircraft first, then some In-Pogress pics of the model so far:

B-52H60-0006_zps3224da56.jpg

B-52H.jpg

B-52H_zpsc103934f.jpg

100_2142_zps6c7205d8.jpg

100_2143_zpsca2048d7.jpg

100_2146_zpsa9805403.jpg

100_2148_zps694dc6e2.jpg

100_3334_zps3d7b71b4.jpg

B)/>/>

Alclad is on, I used ALC-101 Aluminium and ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium; didn't seem much point in using lots of shades on a model this scale.

All U/C parts have been given coats of Black or White, and the drop tanks sprayed White, Lemon Yellow and finally Fluorescent Orange.

Quite pleased with it so far.

100_3338_zps993b2dba.jpg

B)/>

Would this be the B-52H that lost most of it's verticle tail in flight?

C2j

Quite a famous incident, but nope, that is a different aircraft, although they look very similar.

B)/>/>

Thinking about it again, that B-52 with the missing fin would itself make a neat model with most of the vertical tail missing!!

It was landed succesfully, repaired and flown again for many years.

Wow! The metal work is very nice on your BUFF

That really is down to the Alclad paint, makes a 'metal' finish relatively straightforward to achieve. :thumbsup:/>

B)/>

A most impressive build to date. I really like your Alcad NMF. Just to make sure I don't have it backwards, the dull Aluminum is the #119 Airframe Aluminum, and the glossy Aluminum is the #101 Aluminum, which is their basic Aluminum shade? Did you use a gloss black base for both?

Joel

A most impressive build to date. I really like your Alcad NMF. Just to make sure I don't have it backwards, the dull Aluminum is the #119 Airframe Aluminum, and the glossy Aluminum is the #101 Aluminum, which is their basic Aluminum shade? Did you use a gloss black base for both?

Joel

Appologies, I forgot to mention that a Gloss Black was applied first,for both (I used Humbrol Gloss Black enamel). The dull Aluminium is ALC-101, the shiny bright Aluminium is ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium.

To be honest, the shiny ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium came out brighter than I expected, but that is probably no bad thing I guess.

B)/>

Appologies, I forgot to mention that a Gloss Black was applied first,for both (I used Humbrol Gloss Black enamel). The dull Aluminium is ALC-101, the shiny bright Aluminium is ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium.

To be honest, the shiny ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium came out brighter than I expected, but that is probably no bad thing I guess.

B)/>/>

Neil,

I'm some what surprised that the Airframe Aluminum is that shinny. I have that shade, but have yet to use it.

Joel

Neil,

I'm some what surprised that the Airframe Aluminum is that shinny. I have that shade, but have yet to use it.

Joel

I had not used that shade before either, I was rather surprised how bright and shiny it turned out. It looks remarkably chrome-like!!

(I had made sure that the Gloss Black was nice and smooth and glossy before applying the Alclad though).

B)/>

Airframe aluminium takes it's properties from the surface it's sprayed on.... if you shoot it a shiny gloss surface you get a mirror like sheen unlike white aluminium that will be only gloss or flat depending on he surface.

Airframe aluminium takes it's properties from the surface it's sprayed on.... if you shoot it a shiny gloss surface you get a mirror like sheen unlike white aluminium that will be only gloss or flat depending on he surface.

Janne,

Basically, that holds true for all Alcad Aluminum and metal paints.

Joel

That's pretty much standard procedure for high-quality, high-shine Alclad metal finishes. I generally do not bother with a Gloss Black undercoat for flatter, duller metalic finishes.

B)

Progress so far, most of the Fluorescent Orange is now on, although the wing leading edges and nacelles have a fuller, heavier coat than the fin, upper tailplane surfaces, upper drop-tank surfaces because these appear to have a more worn and faded appearance in all of the photo's that I have of this aircraft at that time. The forward fuselage is also about to receive a faded/worn coat of Orange too.

100_3344_zpsowxofk5w.jpg

All surfaces which are eventually to have a final finish of Orange were firstly given a coat of Humbrol Lemon Yellow as an undercoat. Orange tends to apply very well on top of a yellow undercoat.

B)/>

This is looking good. I really like the look of the faded orange!

Sean

Stunning work overall Neil. But the orange really pops. Can't wait for the final.

Well done Sir.

Jeff

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. :)/>

Forward fuselage is now sprayed Orange also, again with a heavier coat on the underside and a lighter coat on the top surface to simulate fading which so often happens with Fluorescent colours on aircraft, as in pics of the real 'plane. The coat of Orange was also rubbed down carefully (with Alclad polishing cloths) which also enhances the faded look as the Yellow undercoat begins to show through. I must be honest here and state that this was not entirely my own idea to simulate the faded look, it was suggested to me by 'dehowie' in another post after he had used this method on the Orange drop tanks of his German F-104. It works very nicely! I just need to refine the faded paint around the rear crew escape/ejection hatch on the upper fuselage.

Also shown are closer pics of the upper and lower surfaces of the tailplanes, with the contrast of the very faded look to the Orange on the upper surface compared to the underside.

100_3345_zpsm1w1e7tr.jpg

A little bit of weathering overall and application of the decals will be next on the list.

B)/>

• 2 weeks later...