I have a four (4) year old son who is Autistic. I was looking at the Christmas Raffle prize donated so graciously by Sluggo2u when my son entered our world. He lit up, engaged me in his best way (he is non communicative) and then proceeded to go into the stash and pull out models for us to look at together. For thirty glorious minutes we looked at models together, him holding plastic and instruction sheets, and completely connecting. It was, and is a beautiful thing.

He was holding fuselage pieces together, saying "models" and smiling and in sheer bliss. Tomorrow I am going to push the envelope and see if he wants to help daddy build. I am hoping for the best.

Today was possible because of Sluggo2u, thank you so much, you never know how your actions can bring joy beyond what you anticipated, thanks so much!

Ric

I know for a fact I have a few models he can have. Pretty simple kits, not Hasegawa or Tamiya quality, but starter kits to wet his whistle as they say. Let me know how things go tomorrow. If all good, let me know and I'll send some his way.

you never know what is going to get their attention. might watch out, though, he might get to building some amazing stuff real quick. some of the autistic kids i worked with, once they got into something they were all in. you might have to give him his own work area if he decides he has to have it all set up his way.

That´s great... with luck you´ve found the key to your son´s lock :D

The best place to start social and communicative habilitation is through the interests of a person with autism. If it´s shared with someone in the family it´s a great touching point where truly wonderous things may happen since you may conncet on a deeper level of understanding.

Best of luck to you and your boy!

Fantastic!!!!....I'm hoping you and he will do many builds together, if and that's a big IF, you haven't given it any thought, perhaps he'd do well with a Snap-tite starter ;) , Sluggo2U is a special ARC'er. Should you want/need a snap tite kit let me know.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I have been a member here for years and I am constantly blown away by the generosity and decency of the folks on here. We did not get a chance to build, he had other things on his mind, but when the opportunity presents itself, I am positive it will be a great experience.

As to the snap tight, I am thinking I will build a simple on that requires both of us at the same time to work it together, I have some fairly simple kits in the stash, some thing in 1/72 and that he can play with when we are done.

Richard,

After having a less than stellar day today, it was a really great way to end the day reading your post.

I pretty much looked at the six models I gave away as a simple act of participating in the raffle and a way to thin the herd of models in scales that are no longer friendly to my 50 year old eyes and to make room for the influx of 32nd scale stuff that has occupied my compulsive mind.

To be honest, I had a moment of panic when I realized that I might have offered up a few less kits and maybe even some smaller kits since I was on the hook for shipping. It was nearly 80 bucks to ship them all out but I'll tell you this right now, it's the best money I've ever spent!

The true credit for your connection lies in your love for your son. I am quite honored by your thoughts.

Thanks for posting this and brightening up my day!

Randy

Awesome I too have a grandchild thats 4 years old and is Autistic and non communicative. I am waiting for the time he shows interest in the hobby so I can teach him all I know. He wants to play with my models he hasn't seen me build yet because I would like him to get a little older first. He is already a very bright kid and we think he will be very very smart when he gets older. He already has OCD like granddad and has to have everything in a certain order. I just hope that Model building will help to calm his temper and frustration. I will be following along to see what progress you have with him. Autism can be quite tough if you ever need any advice or need to talk let me know. JOSH