Waiting for the extra goodies to arrive I am going to make major surgery to the fuselage;

I want to replicate the twisted rear fuselage of the real thing and, having the chainsaw at hand, I also want to try to improve the general proportion of the kit.

The kit fuselage is shorter (an extension bit is comprised in the CMK kit) and taller (most noticeable is the hump around the APU that seems much cumbersome than the real one, but everything above the wing is stretched)

001.jpg

I dont want to mod the canopy or the air intakes, so I wll cut just a couple of mm along this seam:

002.jpg

Upper part removed and trimmed, the vertical line behind the cockpit will be cut later to allow the bending of the fuselage:

003.jpg

After a bit of sanding the fit is quite good:

004.jpg

Major surgery finished: port side got an extension (port side is taller than starboard because of fuselage twist), engine cowling cut was not so clean so I had to remove the panel below the APU, it will be fixed later.

005.jpg

Due the missing panel I had to leave in place the cowling end so it is possible to see the amount removed:

006.jpg

Then I cut just behind the cockpit, gently bent the rear fuselage and fixed it in the new position with CA glue; not the best image but the result is quite ok:

008.jpg

Waiting to fix the tail lenght just a test of the tiger nose:

007.jpg

Nice work on this!

Are you making your own decals?

I've got to say, I've always thought a head-on view of the Hind was fairly menacing...

497px-Mi-24_in_flight._%283741855036%29.jpg

Edited by dnl42

Yes, I am going to laser print my own decal. MPD makes them only in 1/72. I plan to print only the nose art and the join stripe on the tail; I will mask and paint all the tiger stripes.

Dang! THAT is going to be some awesome masking job! :woot.gif:

Lovely job getting the kink into the fuselage! :worship:/>/>/>/>/>

Thanks, but not so good as planned: the missing panel below the APU caused a structural failure sanding the fuselage :bandhead2:/>/>/>/>

Fixed but armour panel detail lost:

009.jpg

Interior sanded smooth ready for detail work:

010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

what seam filler are you using? What is the different colored one by the cockpit? I am building the zvezda 1/72 Mi-35 and its tough lining up the mulitple fuselage cockpit parts. I have my share of filling to do. I cant wait to see your finished job.

what seam filler are you using? What is the different colored one by the cockpit? I am building the zvezda 1/72 Mi-35 and its tough lining up the mulitple fuselage cockpit parts. I have my share of filling to do. I cant wait to see your finished job.

I used 2 components polyester filler behind the cockpit and around the tail extension plug; the white line on the port side is a plasicard shim fixed and filled with CA glue (same around the engine exhausts).

• 1 month later...

Ciao ANdrea,

any progress? You started so ambitious and showing superd craftmanship...changing the fuselage! Wow, not everbody is doing such surgery!! complimenti!