FM 1/72 Tie Interceptor

Man, there are a lot of great models done already in this GB. I will be building the Fine Molds 1/72 Tie Interceptor. Watch out X-wings! :touche:/>/>/>/>

Tom

DSC_0004_zpsf1fad60c.jpg

DSC_0005_zps02962a4d.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Handy tip: use double-sided tape to attach the wing panel inserts. The fit is excellent, so you can avoid some tricky masking if you leave your panels out until everything is painted. Then, to avoid any potential glue mishaps, use double-sided tape to 'sandwich' the panels together, trapping the wing in the middle.

Something like this:

Part1_zpsb59afb39.jpg

Handy tip: use double-sided tape to attach the wing panel inserts. The fit is excellent, so you can avoid some tricky masking if you leave your panels out until everything is painted. Then, to avoid any potential glue mishaps, use double-sided tape to 'sandwich' the panels together, trapping the wing in the middle.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely give that a try.

Tom

Work at the Sienar Fleet Systems Model Works began on the latest Tie Interceptor. The workers are enthuiastic about building this advanced space fighter. We will crush the rebellion with it.

Work began on the cockpit. The overall color was Gunze Neutral Gray and then I put an oil wash of ivory black and dry brushed some silver on the floor to simulate some wear. The pilot was painted in gloss and flat black per the instructions and the helmet and flight suit were decalled. Thank heavens for magnifying visors.

I also sprayed the solar panels flat black but they looked too uniform and bland to me so I added some Mig gunmetal pigment to get some sheen. I have taken a picture with it half done so you can see the difference.

Construction will continue tomorrow evening...

Tom

DSC_0016_zps268e5149.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsdea444f7.jpg

Edited by Tom G
  • 3 weeks later...

More progress....

The Tie Interceptor is assembled and has been to the paint barn. The appropriate color of Air Superiority Blue has been applied along with Neutral Gray for the cockpit front view window. Gunze Mr. Color was used throughout. The kit fits so well and is nicely detailed. I used just a little putty on the capsule seam. The stand was painted with Mr. Color Super Metallic Super Fine Silver. It went on really nice and smooth. Next is a coat of gloss and decals. Watch out Rebels, soon you will feel the wrath of the Tie Interceptor!

Tom

DSC_0056_zpsff1721e6.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsf8c36dea.jpg

DSC_0054_zps8515bbf0.jpg

DSC_0053_zps44ac4d0d.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsc90ce51e.jpg

DSC_0051_zps0ad33eb6.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Will you be bringing this to work on Sunday? I'm on the fence about going to the meeting. I really don't have anything to pack up and work on. Although I may come hang out for a couple hours.

Kris,

Yes, I will bring this in and a Tamiya A6M3 Hamp to the build and bull session. It will be nice to see everyone. I hope to you can make it.

Tom

Fighting off a sickness (again) so it's still up in the air. I love having little petrie dishes at home all the time. (Young kids!)

I may still come for a little bit. I want to get that build the same kit so I can do that one.

The Tie Interceptor is ready to join the Imperial Fleet and serve the Emperor. It, along with the fully operational Death Star, will crush the Rebellion!

Things went great in final assembly. The parts fit really well. I assembled the capsule and solar panel framework and airbrushed it with Gunze Mr. Color Air Superiority Blue, C-74. The front capsule window and various small external parts are painted Mr. Color Neutral Gray, C-13. I then airbrushed a coat of Testors lacquer GlossCote. I decalled with MicroSet and MicroSol solutions. All of the external decals are really small but I know they are on there. I then wanted to put a wash on to highlight some of the panel lines and features on the exterior. I tried the new Ammo by Mig enamel wash, Deep Grey. It covered very nicely and after drying a few hours I removed the excess with Turpenoid and q-tips. I liked the way it turned out. It didn't bead up on the gloss surface and was really easy to remove. I then flat coated the model with Testors lacquer Dullcote. The solar panels were previously painted with Mr. Color Flat Black C-33 and then I added Mig gunmetal pigment and sealed them. It gave the panels some sheen. They were added to the framework with CA glue (I didn't have any two sided tape and it was snowing like crazy yesterday so didn't want to go out). They fit very precisely and turned out pretty nice. The final thing was removing the masks from the clear parts and a final polish with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover.

I recommend the kit very much for anyone interested in building it. It is one of the nicest kits I have built. There aren't many parts but they all fit together very well and are nicely detailed. Give one a go!

Tom

DSC_0115_zpsed55784d.jpg

DSC_0116_zpsadd49cbf.jpg

DSC_0117_zps8c98b6c2.jpg

DSC_0119_zps605ad407.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsd8209fa6.jpg

Edited by Tom G