1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5

I posted some pics in the intro thread.

The problem with digging out an old build is the possibility of missing pieces. I had a bit of a scare over the weekend when I went through the box to discover a lot of missing pieces. Last night I was able to take some time and really go exploring in the stash closet. Long story short - its all recovered but thats 45 minutes I'll never get back!

I did some painting and masking on Sunday. I'd like to get the medium blue shot this week.... that's the goal anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I'll have photos tomorrow when I take off the masks. So far I've painted the 'tricolour' for mid war dauntlesses. I like how the colours have come out so far.

One question though: what colour paint is the blue in the star n bars marking? Sort of a dark blue? I need some mix for tamiya paints as I bought masks for the markings.

With some luck I could have everything painted tomorrow.

I guess I tried to blend in the paint a little too much!

So here is the painted plane. I then rubbed down the paint with a cloth and a lot of paint dust came off - it can look like a cool weathering effect if its a little more uniform but what I will do is go over those areas with a second coat. I think this is by far my best effort to reproduce the elusive top blue on this type of cammo

DSC_0029_zps3a0e3058.jpg

DSC_0030_zps341dc3d4.jpg

DSC_0031_zps7c0ce158.jpg

Ok.. Two ARHG!!! moments today. One was about the middle dive break actuator. Its gone. I was able to make a reasonable representation out of rod and strip styrene.

IMG_20150118_221353_zpsjutnhtbb.jpg

The second was the crappy masks. They are a vinyl like material and they have deteriorated... Distorted really. So I'll be using the kit decals to make new masks out of kibuki tape. Time consuming but these things need to be precise!

I did finish the paint and touchups...that was satisfying except I peeled off more MM acryl from the cockpit. In swear, I'm chucking this paint as far as I can throw it after I'm done this plane!

IMG_20150118_221330_zps5zwyjulp.jpg

Edited by CorsairMan

I finished the markings and I'm very happy with them! Of course the vinyl outline masks distorted over time so I had to cut new ones from tamiya tape. So much for that saving time.

I also painted the walkways and I'm likely going to paint a few more things so as to avoid trumpy decals

IMG_20150124_083034_zpsmsfttxkk.jpg

Ok - no picture yet but I have been busy painting all the bits left for this build. I've also glossed up the airframe in advance of applying some stencil decals and a wash or two. The bombs have been prepped as well as I can make them and they will get painted tonight. We're gradually getting there. Maybe this one will be ready to fly by the end of the weekend. Won't that be amazing?

• 2 weeks later...

I'l going to post some pics tomorrow, hopefully.

The decals went on - only had an issue with one of them. The rest went on nicely. The instructions call for another set of "45"s on the wing tops - it was too late to paint them so I used the kit decals and I was surprised at how well they went on with a minimal amount of set. No sol at all!

The washes went on nicely except at the top of the fuselage - I suspected this would be the case as the rivets would be shallow here. Too late to re-rivet though. I've attempted a further coat of wash up there and we'll see how that goes.

So all that I have left to do is to flat coat, a few shots of silver paint... touchup the terrible MM Acryl Green parts that flaked off again (grrrr) and put all the bits together.

Hey - its only been some 5 years... what's another few days?

Ok - here we go!

Paint is all on - glossed with some Alclad Glosscote and it was better than my future attempts but still not 100% what I would like to have in a gloss. Its my holy grail... not sure I will ever get there except through polishing... I digress

Anyhow - starting with the bits and there are a lot of them:

CIMG1899_zpsis84lnq2.jpg

CIMG1900_zpsvdwxwyax.jpg

CIMG1901_zpshtpayj5j.jpg

CIMG1903_zpsraplxeiz.jpg

CIMG1904_zpsaequj60o.jpg

Need to finish with the dive brakes and such on the bottom and then I can get to work on the canopy, antenna, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

VERY nice!

is that the kit engine?

how do you get your panel lines to stand out so well?

I tried pre-shade on the 1:32 corsair, but ended up being ham fisted with the paint and covered it all...

for the most part, im happy with it, although there are some areas I should have spent more time on...

whats the diameter of the circle you use for painting the markings? I have the star cut out, but the circle is giving me fits...

truly a fantastic paint job!

VERY nice!

is that the kit engine?

how do you get your panel lines to stand out so well?

I tried pre-shade on the 1:32 corsair, but ended up being ham fisted with the paint and covered it all...

for the most part, im happy with it, although there are some areas I should have spent more time on...

whats the diameter of the circle you use for painting the markings? I have the star cut out, but the circle is giving me fits...

truly a fantastic paint job!

Let me reply in the same order

Thanks so much!

It is the kit engine. I also have the Corsair and this engine is miles better. There is no comparing the two. The only things I added were the ignition wires and the plugs.

For panel lines I do a preshade (nato black for the dark blue portions and dark grey for the rest) I thin it a lot so that I can 'build' up the panel lines gradually but even if I mess up, its not that big a deal to fix. After the colours go on I use Flory washes in the panel lines and rivets. I've tried a lot of other washes and so far this is the one that gives me the most consistent results.

Preshading a dark plane is difficult - especially with dark blues and greens. There are 2 ways to handle:

1) preshade in black and then spray a mix of lightened blue/green that is thinner than you would normally use. This takes a while to build up the paint and you are less likely to completely cover up your preshade. But its not fool proof.

2) don't bother with preshade - just paint the blue or green. Then post shade using grey or white - again, a thinned mix. Hit the middle of the panels and such with the white or grey paint. Then cover all of it with a very thin mix of the original colour. I used this technique on the betty and it really worked well for me.

The Stars and Bars were paint masks - so I didn't cut them out. That said - if you do use paint masks and they are vinyl, use them right away as the vinyl tends to deteriorate quickly. The circles were fine but the straight lines were gone forever and I had to mask them using tamiya tape.