Merlin to Cormorant RCAF SAR

Thanks guys. I'm getting there. Was away for work last week so I couldn't paint this one. Got two F-4Js 80% built though.

Leaving again for holidays and work for two weeks in a row soon. I hope to have all the paint done before I go.

So between work, visitors for 4 days, my own exercise training plan activity and being daddy with my little girl, I did manage to get most of the painting done. Thinking about that sentence, it's a wonder I get anything on model planes done.

the pics to date:

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

As I was taking the tape off one window fell off. And the main rotor needs more work. It's drooping too much. There is also some paint touch up needed. I was a little over zealous spraying red. But overall, not bad I guess.

now for another break. We're off on holidays, and as soon as I'm back I'm travelling with work again.

Thanks for the comments. I found it a surprisingly tough scheme to paint.

First it was hard to find clear photos of the topside showing where the red / black / yellow met.

Then just because of all the awkward shapes on the beast it was hard to mask.

I would love to just to finish off a grey jet right now.

Not much more to go on this though, but it'll be a couple weeks til I'm back.

• 1 month later...

Good morning Gentlemen.

Yes I'm back. My holiday trip got extended, not for good reasons, and that meant I missed a week of work, which meant playing serious catch-up, which meant limited time to work on models. Added to that, this Cormorant gave me some more frustration. So I took a little time away, worked on some other planes, thought about how to go ahead, and well, as you'll see I'm nearly ready to decal the beast.

One thing I've come across, which I'm guessing others have found, is that because of the length of time I have been working on this, and moving things around from work bench to paint booth and back, then letting it sit for a few weeks, well I lost a couple pieces, one quite significant. The pictures will explain.

Main painting is done, including touch-ups.

Now adding some of the details that really make the Cormorant unique:

Searchlight and mount: The Belcher Bits conversion set did not include a mount, so I had to scratch build one using good photos and instructions provided by Belcher. Belcher did include a resin searchlight - one of those items I lost. Crap. So I thought about this a while, found some styrene tubing in my scrap pile, and came up with what you see in the photo. I need a little more painting, and a bit more plastic to make a lens shield, but I think this will work out fine.

IMG_2919.JPG

On the other side of the helo, next to the main door is a hoist system. The parts for these were included in the Belcher set, but the instructions left me a bit confused, and I didn't have any really great photos that clearly showed how it all went together. So I walked away, thought about it, found a better photo and this is what it looks like now.

IMG_2922.JPG

And that's pretty much it.... I got the rotor sag fixed, mostly. I'm not entirely pleased with where it is at - one blade in particular is problematic- but I can't seem to get it any better and frankly, I'm tired of trying. So here's a pic of the overall for now.

IMG_2923.JPG

One other piece that went missing was a protruding disc that goes on the rear starboard fuselage. I painted it red, and since then - poof! gone. I have an idea of how to remake it but haven't had a chance to get to the model store to try and find the right size styrene tube. Maybe tomorrow.

After that, all that's left is finishing the spotlight, a bit of small detail painting, and decaling.

Ciao for now.

Edited by bikerider

Here's a few more pics.

This was, without doubt, the most challenging aircraft modelling project I've done. And it shows. There are some imperfections, and some flat out mistakes I made. I won't point them out, but I'm sure some of you have spotted them. Thing is, I just reached a point where I wanted it done. Some errors are a result of my own dumbness. Some though... well as I think you all noticed if you followed my posts, the basic Airfix Merlin kit was a real bear to work on, and that shows. Anyway, it's done. Thanks for all the comments along the way, and thanks also for the Group build idea. It's probably fair to say without the group build, this thing would still be on the shelf.

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

Here's a comparison with a Mig-21 so you can see just how big the Cormorant is.

IMG_2961.JPG

Very nicely done. Great (rare) kit to have on display.

Shows your perseverance in the face of adversity. You earned your stripes on that one. (I'm going to leave that kit conversion alone at least until I've forgotten about your and Phantom's threads.)

Cheers,

David :cheers:/>

Great!!!, as far as I know you and I are among 3 people known on earth to finish this beast in 1/48.

Thanks for this ! I don't know too many other modellers ( I tend to stick to my own ) but I can't expect too many more. I certainly would only recommend it for a real challenge. I can't believe how fast you built yours.

Going to work on a Hasegawa US Navy Phantom now. Easy peasy. Gray and white.