Here is my second oldest shelf queen. I purchased this 1/48 Testors RF-4C back in the early 80s and didn't start it till about 5 or 6 years ago when I got back into the hobby. At the time I didn't have a dedicated area for building so when company came over I would just pack everything up. One day I just never unpacked it to continue. Looks like I was doing some filling and sanding when it was last boxed up.

Now is a good time to get this one done since I have a bench, a spray booth, this GB and it deserves to be completed.

P1060004_zps19f041aa.jpg

P1060001_zps1a100fda.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

I built that kit many many moons ago and if I remember correctly it was a real beast to get together (mine was a Marine RF-4 though). Looks good when done...just took patience is all. Looking forward to seeing her all done and dressed up.

Cheers!

Don

The decals look to be still in good shape and they offer USAF and US Marine options. I think I'm going to go with the USAF option.

Having built the 72 version of this kit and the F-4E/F/G the RF seems to have a better fit for some reason. There is a bit of putty on this one but I'll chalk that up to being out of practice at the time I started it.

• 2 weeks later...

happened so fast the first thing I can remember was sliding down the stairs. I don't remember whacking my hand but must have cause my wrist hurts.

Maybe I'll change it to "Don't Bring the Rain!". 2nd time in 13 years that I took a ride down the 6 steps so I have to look at it as it not being too bad.

• 1 month later...

Well, Winter time - sickness time! (How do I know?) So get well soon!

Wheeewww...the Testors Phantom is a real dog! I remember building the "G" when I was Teenager, even the old ESCI kits were better. Moreover I wish you good patience and a nice result. With elbow grease and filling, glueing, sanding and scribing skills you can finsih it nicely.

Edited by tobiK
  • 2 weeks later...

Did some more work to the RF and noticed that the clear windows on the sides of the nose are missing. I'll have to make some.

The single biggest problem in resurrecting a model.... i've learned that as soon as I snip something, I bag it.... lessons learned the hard way

The single biggest problem in resurrecting a model.... i've learned that as soon as I snip something, I bag it.... lessons learned the hard way

That and don't lose the bag. In my last build, Academy's fine MiG-21MF, I somehow contrived to lose the canopy. :bandhead2:

Had to resort to a vac canopy for Eduard's MiG-21MF, which is the kit I should have chosen in the first place...

Hornet looks real nice and the Phantom is coming along nicely too. Missing windows look small enough that you should be able to use Elmer's White Glue, Micro Krystal Klear or Testor Clear Part Cement and Window Maker instead of having to make other parts out of clear styrene. Unless, of course, you refer to making new windows as applying one of the aforementioned product and letting it cure. :)

Keep it up.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Been playing around with trying to make the side panels in the nose when I have time. I did manage to complete this one from the Hornet GB though.

P5020014_zpsiuv0cujn.jpg

P5020013_zps8mydqj8o.jpg

!/72 scale HobbyBoss kit with Two Bobs decals.

Very nice!!

I had the same loss of windows on my Testors RF-4C, and just went with painted red Styrene for "FOD Covers"