Trio of Tornado's

I love Tiger Meet Aircraft!!!

I am going to jump in with a small mini group build so that I can clear off some shelf space. I am going to build three of the Revell 1:72 Tornado's. They will be out of the box with kit decals so it should be pretty quick.

01_zps5467545b.jpg

Els

I agree, the Tornado's have some great TM schemes.

I am not much of a 72nd scale builder but many of the Tiger Meet kits are released in this scale so I build what I can get. I had a couple days off work and built up the cockpits. Nothing special, I just used the kit decals because the canopies will be closed and not much will be visible.

100_6548_zpsa3c56eb9.jpg

The wings and rear area of the aircraft were also worked on.

100_6562_zps869d01af.jpg

Revell must have refreshed the molds for these kits. The oldest one has a little flash, the middle release has a lot of flash but the latest release has no flash.

Els

I had a little time to work on the trio today. Getting the wings inside the fuselage was a bit of a pain. I am not sure why this step in the instruction tells the builder not to glue part 30 into the upper fuselage.

100_6570_zps7d2c21a7.jpg

On the first Tornado I did not glue this part in the beginning and it was just too much to try to hold/line up the wings, spar, part 30, upper and lower fuselage. I then glued the part in and it was much easier. With the help of some clamps it went together.

100_6568_zpse57d85c2.jpg

The intakes were not much fun either. There is a lot of fitting and sanding. I finally have one that is starting to resemble a Tornado.

100_6573_zps11a85fe0.jpg

Els

Lancer512, you are right. I looked at the instructions for 04361 and it does say to glue the part. Both of the newer kits say do not glue. I am not sure when that got changed but it needs to be fixed.

Only one of the three needs the refueling pod. It doesn't fit very well.

100_6579a_zpsjrtvksrn-1.jpg

I guess I will cut it so that it will lay flat instead of trying to fill the gap.

I was out of fishing weights for the nose and got lucky when I went to buy some. I wasn't paying much attention when I bought them because I picked up a variety of sizes/weights for different kits. Once I got home I noticed that these weights had just the right taper and fit perfectly into the nose cone.

100_6581_zpsp8jiayh1-1.jpg

100_6582_zpsmuowig6r-1.jpg

100_6585_zpsxjiqaucq-1.jpg

Other than that I started working on the fuel tanks.

100_6590_zpsm5olbjhk-1.jpg

I am looking forward to getting to the painting stage with these.

Els

100_6579a_zpsjrtvksrn-1.jpg[/url]

I guess I will cut it so that it will lay flat instead of trying to fill the gap.

Is the part really strong? I would just try forcing it down and using lots of liquid cement and holding it there with a rubber band for a few hours until it is nice and dry. You'll want to preserve the curve of the actual aircraft refueling probe.

Spejic,

I tried your method to fix the gap and it worked great.

They are all together and I started to try and figure out the best way to paint them today. I sprayed orange on two of them and some grey on the third.

100_6593_zpstian1c2o_1.jpg

The orange looks a little dark to me so I might end up lightening it up a bit. After the paint cures overnight I will mask and add the other colors.

Els

The Revell instruction say to mix silver and black for the stripes on the 2011 Tiger Meet aircraft. I tried to cheat and paint it with some Tamiya gun metal. I then put some Silly Putty worms over it and sprayed the black. When the Silly Putty was removed the gun metal looked very bright.

100_6613_zpsjhjzajx6.jpg

I thought I would just spray some Tamiya smoke over it to darken it up but the jar of smoke I had was about 12 years old and it came out gray. I have never had that happen before but at least it was obvious right away so I didn't have to fix much. After fixing it I mixed some Tamiya black and clear and when over it with that.

100_6615_zpswbzhen65.jpg

It still looks a little bright in the pictures but in person I think it is about right. Some of the orange peeled up when I removed the masking but it should be an easy fix.

100_6617_zpshnravlyx.jpg

I don't remember drinking when I masked up the right side but I must have been in a hurry to paint because I forgot to trim the masking there.

100_6619_zpsfieuwfm1.jpg

Els

I did not think that I would be able to paint the black arc on the nose of the 2009 Tiger Meet aircraft so I decided to put the decal on first.

100_6616_zpsvzdm7sei.jpg

After that was on, some thinned down black was brush painted around the black edge of the decal and the rest of the nose of the aircraft.

100_6620_zpso2ipxdwp.jpg

I started the decals on the 2011 Tiger Meet aircraft.

100_6621_zpsoydeje0d.jpg

I am not sure how well this is going to work because the white is a a little opaque. At the tail end of the aircraft you can see the difference in how the white decal covers the orange and the black.

100_6622_zpsgrdt2c1t.jpg

The decal fit doesn't exactly match the painting guide but it should be an easy fix. You can see here where the orange and decal will have to be covered by some black paint.

100_6625_zpsgafrl6mx.jpg

Here is how they stand now. I don't have to work tomorrow so I should get some time to work on them.

100_6631_zpsuf8aebfq.jpg

Els

I spent a couple of hours on decals today. It doesn't look like I made much progress but there are a lot of decals there.

100_6633_zpsylrbuaep.jpg

Since the decals on the 2011 Tiger Meet plane do not cover black very well I think I might have to paint over the black with a light grey and then brush paint the black over the parts that need it. It will be easier to cover with black than white.

Els

Thank you Crazy Snap Captain.

Since the white decals would not cover the blackthat I had already sprayed on the kit, I decided to overspray it with gray.

100_6697_zps1jznalk2.jpg

The decals were good enough to cover the gray.

100_6700_zpsqsqsrc2i.jpg

Because the gray was a little darker than the white of the decals I was able to go over it with a brush and some thinned down black paint.

100_6701_zpsxcubt5vo.jpg

Much more of a pain than it should have been.

Els

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working my way through the decals on these kits. I have hit a snag though. On the 1998 TM jet there are black lines for the walkways on the top of the aircraft.

100_6709_zpszynqlnk8.jpg

The kit supplies the modeler with 21 three inch black stripes that you are supposed to cut and position on the kit.

100_6711_zpszflayis8.jpg

100_6712_zpszdqmfzh7.jpg

To do the top of this kit that is close to 6o different measured cuts to the black stripes. I tried taping the lines to paint them but the line is so narrow I had trouble keeping a consistent line width. So.... the laziness factor is going to keep me from putting these on the aircraft.

Els

• 4 weeks later...

Since I have been moved to page 2 I guess I better post some progress.

All the decaling is done and I am just working on the faddily bits. Today I also worked on some of the under wing stuff.

t100_6961_zpsnqcwerd9.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get them all up on their gear.

Els

• 4 weeks later...