Early F-15A Ejection Seat???

I'm planning to build an early F-15A, from like 1974 or so, from the 555th FIS out of Luke AFB...still sporting the "Air Superiority Blue" scheme like this:

McDonnell-Douglas-F-15A-8-MC-Eagle-73-0090-Air-Superiority-Blue-_zps567b5414.jpg

My question is, what type of ejection seat did these early F-15s have? Was it the ESCAPAC?

Yes, they had the ESCAPAC IC-7 seat.

IC-7

The IC-7 lacks the primary ejection control handle atop the headrest, and IIRC, it's also lacks the canopy breakers.

You could either select from the available aftermarket ESCAPACs (mainly A-4 and A-7 versions) the one that comes closest to the IC-7

or you could ask those folks having the GWH F-15B/D in their stash, whether they have one to spare in case they might plan to use the kit's ACES II seats instead.

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Very Cool.... hope to see the build online.

Which decal sheet are you going to use? Interesting the F-15A also has that Red/Brown Canopy frame colour as the early F/A-18's did.

:cheers:

Emil

Edited by Emvar

All right...cool. Thanks for the info guys.

I think I'll pick up one of Quickboost's A-4 seats, certainly looks the part.

Emil, I'm going to use the decals from Two Bobs (48-220) but without the "candy stripes". I just want to do one of these early F-15As in the ASB paint and black wheel hubs, some real Cold War 70s stuff!

The Aires Escapac seats are a bit on the small size unfortunately. The GWH kit has Escapac seats as well as the early style wheel hubs, but you will need to find some turkey feathered exhausts from Aires. The GWH kit seats are rather large to compensate for a cockpit that is too low. Pick your poison...

Jens

I'm planning to build an early F-15A, from like 1974 or so, from the 555th FIS out of Luke AFB...still sporting the "Air Superiority Blue" scheme like this:

McDonnell-Douglas-F-15A-8-MC-Eagle-73-0090-Air-Superiority-Blue-_zps567b5414.jpg

My question is, what type of ejection seat did these early F-15s have? Was it the ESCAPAC?

What kit do you plan on using? You will find you will need to change the wheels to A model to which in 1:48 only Monograms are passable for an A/B model.

Also there is a bunch of other minor retrograde to be done to the cockpit and airframe concerning equipment, antenae and panel arrange ment, don't forget the turkey feathers on the nozzles...

What kit do you plan on using? You will find you will need to change the wheels to A model to which in 1:48 only Monograms are passable for an A/B model.

Also there is a bunch of other minor retrograde to be done to the cockpit and airframe concerning equipment, antenae and panel arrange ment, don't forget the turkey feathers on the nozzles...

I have an old Hasegawa F-15J...looks to me to be basically an "A" kit. Has the old style exhaust pipes in the kit (I put out a req for a set from an Academy kit down in the "Classifieds...sorry Emil! I can return them or if they are better...use them!). Not sure on the wheel hubs in the kit but if you say the Monogram ones are accurate I believe you since you've busted knuckles on these things. Anyone got a set??!!

As far as the rest (antennas, etc.) I'm gonna go off that reference pic and any else I find...not looking to go too crazy with the cheez whiz.

"Spruemeister"...I put in a req down in the "Classifieds" for a SUU-20 pod...got one?!

I'm looking forward to doing this project (it'll be a while, knee deep in a C-2A at the moment), you see lots of F-15s at the shows/contests and forums...but not many in ASB.

I have an old Hasegawa F-15J...looks to me to be basically an "A" kit. Has the old style exhaust pipes in the kit (I put out a req for a set from an Academy kit down in the "Classifieds...sorry Emil! I can return them or if they are better...use them!). Not sure on the wheel hubs in the kit but if you say the Monogram ones are accurate I believe you since you've busted knuckles on these things. Anyone got a set??!!

As far as the rest (antennas, etc.) I'm gonna go off that reference pic and any else I find...not looking to go too crazy with the cheez whiz.

"Spruemeister"...I put in a req down in the "Classifieds" for a SUU-20 pod...got one?!

I'm looking forward to doing this project (it'll be a while, knee deep in a C-2A at the moment), you see lots of F-15s at the shows/contests and forums...but not many in ASB.

I've got a pair of the ACA ones if you want them

You gotta love that pod under the wing. Not a pound for air to ground huh? I remember at Kadena the squadrons were told to try bombs using only their on board equipment. Not a lot of happy pilots that day.

scan0052.jpg

You gotta love that pod under the wing. Not a pound for air to ground huh? I remember at Kadena the squadrons were told to try bombs using only their on board equipment. Not a lot of happy pilots that day.

scan0052.jpg

At Langley we started flying with Su-20s with the rocket portion inert in 83 - 84. We also flew iron bombs and CFT's on our C/D models. Never flew bombs on our A models though.

There was nothing internal for dropping the bombs so yes not a pound for ground at least until the Mudhen arrived...

The F-15A/C had a CCIP mode for air to ground delivery, but that got dumped when they added the weather mapping mode and GDS software.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Don't forget the ALQ ant on the LVS will need to be installed as the J models has counter weights installed on both vertical stabs.

Those early F-15's also had a for lack of the better word, a stiffiner on the speedbrake, you can see it in the photo. The Fujimi early releases all had this feature.

OK, I was wondering what that extra "hump" was.

Now to find reference pics of that...

OK, I was wondering what that extra "hump" was.

Now to find reference pics of that...

The Lou Drendal Squdron book, the In Action book, Detail & Scale older version and fighter aircraft of the USAF by squadron comes to mind....

Older shorter speed brake was a third of its present length.

The F-15A/C had a CCIP mode for air to ground delivery, but that got dumped when they added the weather mapping mode and GDS software.

GDS? or did you mean GPS?

just clarifying, not criticizing... :)