Polish MiG-21MF Markings Help

Guys and Gals,

I'm looking for some help with a very particular subject I want to do. MiG-21MF in Polish Markings, it is 9111, which is the MiG-21 on display often photographed showing the Eagle on the Tail. This bird belonged to 3 Eskadra Lotnictwa Taktycnego, in Poznan, Kresiny in 2002. There are two versions of this paint scheme:

20150108_141450_zps5a45be72.png

The one I am interested in is the early one, with the muted national insignia. Unfortunately, there are no images I can find through my regular means that show this aircraft in its muted scheme, other than those provided by Montex Mask in the instructions. I was wondering if anyone had any other photographs, or information on this aircraft with the muted markings. My hope is to model her exactly as she appears in the hangar photo on the bottom left; very clean, very glossy finish, just, with the canopy opened up.

Other images can be seen on the Montex Mask website, which show their instruction sheets as well. Here is the link, and the MiG-21 set is the first on the list:

Montex Mask Decal Sets

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this one.

Mark.

Can't provide any specific specific help on your question. But, I have the large eagle and bort number decals from the Academy kit that you're welcome to. PM me with your address and I'll mail them to you.

Edited by dnl42

Hi Mark,

Actually, it's one and the same scheme. The only difference is the colour of the Polish AF chequerboards originally applied in dark grey.

The photograph with dark grey chequerboards was taken almost immediately after 9111's repaint (under the direction of Warrant Officer Marcin Rogozínski) in May 2002. Reportedly painted with automotive lacquers...

9111 during an open day in August 2002

The finish seems rather dull from this angle. By then, the grey boards had been overpainted with "standard" national markings.

The initial dark grey version looked adnittedly pretty cool, but one does not simply play around with national insignia. wink.gif

For the Poles it's a matter of honour and they're taking much pride in their colours. Hence it was replaced with the "official" version almost ASAP.

A few sources claim, that 9111 didn't even take off with dark grey insignia...

9111 on display during the 3. ELT's MiG-21 retirement ceremony (16 December 2003)

Satin-gloss finish.

Another shot of 9111 taken during its retirement

Satin-gloss.

So it's perfectly up to you:

Fresh from the paint barn, sporting a spotlessly clean livery or 9111 with standard national insignia, depicting only very, very subtle and restraint wear-and-tear - if any.

Cheers,

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Thank you Erik.

The muted checkerboard is very unique, and so it caught my eye right away. Since seeing it, I've always wanted to build this one. There is just something about it. It makes sense that it didn't last long. Speaking with my dad, until I showed him photographs, he didn't believe that this was ever the case. Oh, he loved those MiG-21 aircraft.

It is a very unique paint scheme, and Montex was kind enough to also send me a vinyl cut of the Eagle to paint on the vertical stabilizer as well. I'm always making my models weathered, and tired, and so it would be a nice change to try and finish one looking almost new. I think this one is just the ticket for that type of project. There is a slight bit showing her age (the tail end exhaust for example), but otherwise, yeah, she is near perfectly spotless. If I'm doing one, it seems right it would be this one.

Cheers,

Mark.