Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Clear OVER Tamiya paints?

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to click on and read my post.

This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find the correct discussion when searching. I used Tamiya acrylic paints and their clear gloss coat on a couple of recent projects. Now that the projects have been decaled I want to spray the models with a flat clear. I have some Testors Model Master Acryl clear flat on hand and was wondering if I could spray it over the Tamiya paint and Tamiya clear gloss coated areas and not get a reaction? In other words, are Tamiya and Testors Acryl paints compatable?

Thank you for your advice and input.

Regards,

Don.

I spray testors clear gloss and flat over Tamiya paint all the time works great.

Paul

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Don.

Again, thanks Gents. You guys know how it is when you near the end of a project and you get a little gun shy of making a mistake. I was sitting here looking at my Testors Model Master Acryl flat clear and my Tamiya painted models and I could see cracking or ruined paint if I didn't ask. Better safe then sorry. Glad I can use it!

Many thanks :thumbsup: .

Regards,

Don

Don,

Airbrushing the MM Acrylic Flat by chance?

The stuff goes on in a very devious way. Make sure as you airbrush, you have a light setup so you can see the reflection of the acrylic just "wet" the surface of your model in an area. Otherwise, by the time you see it, it's a milky film. At that point, it has gone on way too thick, and you'll get wrinkles and runs. Ask me how I know... :bandhead2:

So yes, please, avoid what I did! From now on, when I spray it, and I use it a lot, I use thin coats, only once the model has a slight wet look to it, then I let it dry, and go at it again until I am satisfied with the finish. Once it is done, I take a very light cloth (not coarse at all), and lightly rub it down. The last part is totally up to you, it just flattens out the dull coat in any place where it may be slightly textured.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mark

Don,

Airbrushing the MM Acrylic Flat by chance?

The stuff goes on in a very devious way. Make sure as you airbrush, you have a light setup so you can see the reflection of the acrylic just "wet" the surface of your model in an area. Otherwise, by the time you see it, it's a milky film. At that point, it has gone on way too thick, and you'll get wrinkles and runs. Ask me how I know... :bandhead2:/>

So yes, please, avoid what I did! From now on, when I spray it, and I use it a lot, I use thin coats, only once the model has a slight wet look to it, then I let it dry, and go at it again until I am satisfied with the finish. Once it is done, I take a very light cloth (not coarse at all), and lightly rub it down. The last part is totally up to you, it just flattens out the dull coat in any place where it may be slightly textured.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mark

Thanks Mark! Yes it is Model Masters Acrylic flat being sprayed over TAMIYA acrylic paints and a thin coat of TAMIYA acrylic gloss. I will follow your advice. Keep it thin... :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Don.

I know you specified acryl, which i've never had problems with in regards to using it over tamiya paint, but I guess I'll note that the Testors Dull Cote Spray Lacquer WILL fudge up Tamiya paints - I've had them crack and "bleed" after being coted with Testors lacquer spray. Funnily enough, years ago their spray was just fine going over Tamiya paints. I don't know what happened or if one or the other changed their formula.

I used Tamiya acrylic paints and their clear gloss coat on a couple of recent projects. Now that the projects have been decaled I want to spray the models with a flat clear.

You could use MM Acryl Flat, but use multiple light coats. On the other hand, Tamiya relatively new XF-86 Flat Clear is excellent and trouble-free.

I even use Lacquer thinner to thin my Tamiya Acrylic paint all the time Tamiya Acrylic paint is some what solvent based as is that's why it has to be shipped by ground carrier.

Paul

Edited by happy1

I know you specified acryl, which i've never had problems with in regards to using it over tamiya paint, but I guess I'll note that the Testors Dull Cote Spray Lacquer WILL fudge up Tamiya paints - I've had them crack and "bleed" after being coted with Testors lacquer spray. Funnily enough, years ago their spray was just fine going over Tamiya paints. I don't know what happened or if one or the other changed their formula.

I've been using Testors Dullcoat and Glosscoat since the early 1970s and never had a single issue with either one. I've originally used it over Testors enamels, and for the last 4 years over mostly Tamiya Acrylics, which is a solvent based acrylic, not a water based acrylic, and like I've said, not one single issue. I thin both 1:1 with store brand Lacquer Thinner, and air brush it at a flow rate of 16 psi.

If your paint cracked after being over coated, the reason isn't the protective coating, it's caused by the paint not curing completely, and trapping moisture in the paint. Acrylic paint forms a skim coat and dries from the bottom up. The amount of paint applied, temp, and humidity, all factor into the needed drying time.

Joel