The workbench of shame

Interesting...

I noticed that some of you have Found a way to spend time with SO's and still model, where I am banished to my "Modeling Vault".

Sometimes I have a little guilt going to "The Vault" and abandoning my wife, even if we are just watching TV.

In all Fairness my "Modeling Vault" is in the Study, where she also has a desk and a computer, and I work at my desk, which also has a computer on it.

I have to airbrush in the garage of course. Tried it in the study, it was an unhappy time.

I do brush paint in the study/ Vault though. But not while anybody is in there.

Eventually I am going to build a room in my garage for my hobby addictions.

Then I really will be very separated from my wife.

She may enjoy that though. She writes, and I talk. Not a spanking good combo.

Oh, and when my desk gets too cluttered I am reminded of what Ripley Said:

"Nuke the site from Orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

And I start cleaning.

Warmest Regards,

Jester

Invest in some plastic various size storage boxes. The lids help keep dust, dirt, cats and other stuff off the builds, helps prevent loss and makes clean up a breeze.

Outstanding job of cleaning and organizing. Now you need to keep it that way. This is how the modeling section of my man cave looks before and after every work session:

F-15C01_12_15_143.jpg

It's also my computer and tv room for sports.

Joel

And it's done. I'll need to replace that cutting mat eventually, it's got some glue spots and part of the laminate of my old modeling bench stuck underneath. Hard to make decent cuts with it. The three boxes across are the ones I really want to get done, so those are my focus. Thanks for your encouragement guys!

Photo%2520Jan%252010%252C%25209%252008%252004%2520PM.jpg

That's basically mine on a really good day, lol. But my pretty little wife and her ma got me a new workbench for the garage....

CAM02016_zps4e6cbf3a.jpg

Edited by Exhausted

Very funny title :) I'm a slob so I'm really ashamed to post mine. A well-lit, self-cleaning, self-organizing workbench with the necessary tools in their own spots within easy reach --- is what I desire. Hi Joel, not magnifying glass anywhere -- I'm amazed how you manage without it. I've been saving up for an upgrade for the longest time.

Very funny title :)/> I'm a slob so I'm really ashamed to post mine. A well-lit, self-cleaning, self-organizing workbench with the necessary tools in their own spots within easy reach --- is what I desire. Hi Joel, not magnifying glass anywhere -- I'm amazed how you manage without it. I've been saving up for an upgrade for the longest time.

Crackerjazz,

Well, not exactly. If you look closely at the lower right hand corner, you'll see my #5 Optivisor hanging on it's assigned bracket. Yep, even it has a place and a home. Although I wear it for just about every modeling task.

Joel

...Hi Joel, not magnifying glass anywhere -- I'm amazed how you manage without it. I've been saving up for an upgrade for the longest time.

I've used a magnifying lamp in the past. But, I strongly recommend an OptiVISOR instead! I have #5 and #10 lens plates; I normally use the former, but every so often, need the latter.

Somebody help motivate me to clean this up! I can't work in this mess :crying2:/>/>

And I know some of you guys are just as bad.

Workbench%2520of%2520Shame.jpg

How did you get into my apartment without the dog bitting your ankles off and get a picture of my workbench? lol my is just as bad

Just gotta ask this as it's driving me nuts. How do you manage to find anything? And where do you actually find open space to build on?

Joel

I used to work with somebody in Plant 35 at Grumman who's desk looked like that. He literally only had clear space on his deck for a single sheet of paper. He'd figure out who wasn't at work on any given day and squat until they came back. If you came in late some morning, you'd likely find him sitting at your desk.

Fire marshals came through one day and forced a clean-up. :)

• 1 month later...

Went out of the country for a few weeks. Got to put a little in here and there though. Got the silver on a day or two before my flight, and last night I did a marathon session getting the fluorescent red and black paint on:

IMG_2130.JPG

I thought I took some more in-progress shots, but I can't find them :(

Future goes on tonight.

Went out of the country for a few weeks. Got to put a little in here and there though. Got the silver on a day or two before my flight, and last night I did a marathon session getting the fluorescent red and black paint on:

IMG_2130.JPG

I thought I took some more in-progress shots, but I can't find them :(/>

Future goes on tonight.

Its a great feeling! :thumbsup: