Re-direction to Women's Health web sites

Sometimes when viewing a page in the forum, the page gets redirected to some women's health related web site (stuff like Fit Mom Daily or Dr. Oz). This only happens to me on ARC, and it started about a month ago.

For what it's worth, it's been happening to me too. ARC forums recently started sometimes redirecting to lemode-mgz or url4short. It doesn't happen to me anywhere else, so maybe it is a problem with ARC forums itself. I thought my PC had downloaded a virus and spend an hour running repairs trying to fix it.

For what it's worth, it's been happening to me too. ARC forums recently started sometimes redirecting to lemode-mgz or url4short. It doesn't happen to me anywhere else, so maybe it is a problem with ARC forums itself. I thought my PC had downloaded a virus and spend an hour running repairs trying to fix it.

It's been happening to many forums that use the same advertising as ARC. But it stopped recently, so maybe Google figured it out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had it several times lately when following an ARC link posted somewhere else. The site I ended up in was about women, but definately not about their health :rolleyes:/>

Yes, this is getting very frustrating. This happens only for ARC and only when I try to get to ARC using google search. My usual process becomes:

- Google ARC

- Hit the ARC link from google's list

- See the redirection kicking in and immediately hit back

- Re-click ARC, which does not redirect.

Isn't there a way this can be fixed? I know I can bookmark ARC etc., but that does not change the fact that there is this annoying problem. Especially embarrassing in coffee shops.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is getting very frustrating. This happens only for ARC and only when I try to get to ARC using google search. My usual process becomes:

- Google ARC

- Hit the ARC link from google's list

- See the redirection kicking in and immediately hit back

- Re-click ARC, which does not redirect.

Isn't there a way this can be fixed? I know I can bookmark ARC etc., but that does not change the fact that there is this annoying problem. Especially embarrassing in coffee shops.

Happens to me to.

pretty nerve raking when at work!

I have this happen all the time.I will google an aircraft type, see a discussion

going on at ARC, click on the Arc discussion and get some fine looking female breasts

flashing at me. Sometimes I have to double my blood pressure meds after that!---John

Just did Google search of 1/48 Hawk U-2.....came up with ARC discussion

so I clicked it, nice blonde with accessories showing, did it again and

I got ARC discussion U-2 goodies....don't get it.---John

Edited by john53
  • 1 month later...

Has happened to me on an iPad while riding a crowded train! Issue for me is if I use google to help search for an ARC article, I get redirected to "Adult Finders" with a picture of a nude woman. Not every time or even the same link if you click it a second time.

Same things happened to me for at least a year or two - for the longest time it was forwarding me to a page about Cisco router qualification whenever I clicked on an Arcforums link, then suddenly it seemed to switch to redirecting me to an adult site instead. It's extremely annoying. It is absolutely *not* my system, or malware. Since it's gone on for so long with no attempt to fix it, I'm assuming ARC doesn't care. It only happens for the forums - the regular ARC site is fine. It's gotten to the point that when I'm looking for information, unless the summary in Google suggest that the article is The Answer, I'll look elsewhere first.

Same things happened to me for at least a year or two - for the longest time it was forwarding me to a page about Cisco router qualification whenever I clicked on an Arcforums link, then suddenly it seemed to switch to redirecting me to an adult site instead. It's extremely annoying. It is absolutely *not* my system, or malware. Since it's gone on for so long with no attempt to fix it, I'm assuming ARC doesn't care. It only happens for the forums - the regular ARC site is fine. It's gotten to the point that when I'm looking for information, unless the summary in Google suggest that the article is The Answer, I'll look elsewhere first.

Interesting - the day after I post this, I get a warning message from another modeling web site, stating that somebody has been trying to brute-force my password from an IP that resolved to a Tor portal. I don't see the two as unrelated.

As for this site, I'm going to assume my password here is compromised - when http://arcforums.com resolves to a hosting-service supplied, dynamically-generated web page, there's almost no limit to what can be done. The root page for the site may well be where the redirection is occurring - it'd be relatively trivial to have a page that has a Google referee address (or indeed, any referer that isn't an arcforums or arc address) forward to a click-revenue-generating site and just hope that most people will click again rather than trying to get the issue resolved. If the mess is happening at that basic a level, there's no reason not to suspect that every page fetch for the site is being similarly examined or that, for example, passwords are being grabbed.

So I'm off to change mine to something totally random, then leave this site alone.

• 1 month later...

I just had this issue myself, of being redirected after clicking a link to here in the Google results page. This is a known forum exploit that I know all too well as a site admin. It's caused by some malicious code being added to one of the language cache files in the forum software, and it also writes a cookie to your browser to ensure that the redirect only happens once per login session. I'll contact Steve about it and let him know it's happening.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Has happened to me on an iPad while riding a crowded train! Issue for me is if I use google to help search for an ARC article, I get redirected to "Adult Finders" with a picture of a nude woman. Not every time or even the same link if you click it a second time.

Happened to me yesterday on my wife's iPad.

Luckily nobody was around.

Collin