Probelm with H&S Infinity airbrush: needle off-centre

Hi everyone

I just noticed problem with my new 0,2 mm Infinity CR plus airbrush. The needle seems to be off-cetre in relation to nozzle. When I pull the trigger and needle retracts, it is touching the the bottom edge of the nozzle along the way. As a result the spray is off centre as well. The needle and nozzle are OK, the problem seems to be with body...Anyone had a similar issue with this airbrush? Are your needles always perfectly centered?

Thanks

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

Are you sure your needle is not bent? It may not be a bent tip, but instead the needle is bent somewhere betwen the forward teflon seal and the tip.

Take it out and roll it over a glass plate or something similar to see if it is really straight.

Are you sure your needle is not bent? It may not be a bent tip, but instead the needle is bent somewhere betwen the forward teflon seal and the tip.

Take it out and roll it over a glass plate or something similar to see if it is really straight.

Thanks Lancer512

I double checked the needle and it's fine. I was turning both needle and nozzle in the ab assy and no matter what the angle of turn was, the needle was always touching the same, bottom edge of nozzle. I'm starting to think that it may be the needle seal that is somewhere in the middle of the body. When I disassembled the airbrush and inserted the needle only, I could clearly see (looking at the front of ab) that needle is pointing slightly downward and left. I could gently push the needle up and I felt the movement, but when I tried to push it down there is a resistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gents

Ok, so I have bought the special screwdriver that you use to undo the retaining screw and to remove the seal. I wanted to see if there is anything wrong with the old seal before I commit to buy the whole seal kit...And guess what? There is nothing wrong with the seal. I pulled the whole thing apart, checked everything, put it back toghether, and the result is always the same: Airbrush shoots approximatelly 5 degrees off to the left and less than 5 degrees down. I can use it, and it's probably not a big deal, but still, it's a new and expensive airbrush.. I'm not sure, maybe I expect too much? Maybe due to machining tolerances some small deviations in spraying pattern are acceptable? When you guys shoot from the airbrush, is spray alway perfectly straight?

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

BJ,

Machining tolerances was the first thing that I thought of, after reading your initial post. Even though the airbrush you have is a precision instrument, even more precise instruments than the airbrush are machined/assembled/made on Mpndays by folks who may have spent the entire weekend partying and hasn't fully recovered by work time on Monday. So it is highly possible that things could be a little "off". I guess it comes down to you as to how much it would be worth to you as to being able to "true" everything back up. You may have to just go out and buy you another new airbrush and pretty much compare the two and see if this one does the same thing. More or less a confirmation that this isn't just "the nature of the beast". If the new/new one doesn't have the same problem then you know that the first new has a flaw and then either sell the old/new one for a loss of contact customer service and explain to them what you have found out and see if they can help you with this. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Watch this video

Given that the manufacturing process has a spray test I'm left thinking it's not a production

or tolerance issue. To get something as small as a 5 degree spray variance I would think

that maybe the original idea of the bent needle is the issue. It's just that it's bent such

a minute amount it's not visually discernible but just small enough to create a 5 degree

deviation.

I've had mine for about 5 years and it sprays straight as an arrow. I have replaced

parts including needles, nozzles and gaskets however

According to the OP, rotating the needle does not change the position of the misalignment ... the misalignment remains the same. If the needle were bent, you would see the tip move eccentrically. If the airbrush is actually new, I would return it. Why I recommend testing every new airbrush with water, if there is a problem, it goes back ... nothing to clean up.

It shouldn't be doing Fig. 17

Airbrushing_15---17.jpg

And with a .2mm tip, not being centered is a significant issue. It can happen with the most expensive airbrushes.

Paul

Airbrushing for Modelers

Edited by Paul Budzik

I looked at the tips of 4 airbrushes...H&S Infinity and 3 Iwatas. One of the Iwata is a brand new CM-SB which was returned to Iwata for shipping damaged. Iwata repaired, inspected and tested the airbrush, which has not been used by anyone other than Iwata.

Viewing the tips of the 4 airbrushes through a jewelers loupe, none of the needles are perfectly aligned/centered with their nozzles. Retracting each needle from its nozzle, the gap around each needle does not remain consistent throughout. Eventually, the needles all start to favor one side of the nozzle, so that one side of the needle touches the side of the nozzle first.

FWIW, I personally sprayed through the Infinity and the other two Iwatas and didn't notice any problem with the spray being crooked.

Edited by waterman

I looked at the tips of 4 airbrushes...H&S Infinity and 3 Iwatas. One of the Iwata is a brand new CM-SB which was returned to Iwata for shipping damaged. Iwata repaired, inspected and tested the airbrush, which has not been used by anyone other than Iwata.

Viewing the tips of the 4 airbrushes through a jewelers loupe, none of the needles are perfectly aligned/centered with their nozzles. Retracting each needle from its nozzle, the gap around each needle does not remain consistent throughout. Eventually, the needles all start to favor one side of the nozzle, so that one side of the needle touches the side of the nozzle first.

FWIW, I personally sprayed through the Infinity and the other two Iwatas and didn't notice any problem with the spray being crooked.

Thanks waterman

When the needles of your airbrushes retract, does any one of them is touching the edge of nozzle for the whole lenght of travel?

Thanks waterman

When the needles of your airbrushes retract, does any one of them is touching the edge of nozzle for the whole lenght of travel?

No, none of the needles maintained contact with side of the nozzle during their full length of travel.

When I pull the trigger back very slightly to retract the needle just a tiny bit (where you can start to see a gap between the needle and nozzle opening), the side of the needle does make contact with nozzle...this is the point where the needle begins its taper. As I continue retract needle further into the nozzle, the needle stops touching the nozzle.

If your needle maintains contact with the side of your nozzle throughout the entire length of its travel, you have a problem.

Edited by waterman