Search for the Red October 2.0

Interesting article about a possible Russian sub lurking near the UK's primary sub base. Although the press seems to be making a big deal over this, I'm sure it's no different than what the USN / Royal Navy are doing near Russian and Chinese sub bases. The Cold War is over but the subsurface games continue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11334836/MoD-forced-to-ask-US-for-help-in-tracking-Russian-submarine.html

Looks like US Navy P-3 / P-8 crews may gets some decent deployments in the future. I'd rather be deployed to RAF Lossiemouth than some godforsaken location in the mid-east. Thought I read somewhere that the RAF was thinking about a purchase of P-8's so that they could again have a fixed wing ASW capability.

Interesting article about a possible Russian sub lurking near the UK's primary sub base. Although the press seems to be making a big deal over this, I'm sure it's no different than what the USN / Royal Navy are doing near Russian and Chinese sub bases. The Cold War is over but the subsurface games continue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11334836/MoD-forced-to-ask-US-for-help-in-tracking-Russian-submarine.html

Looks like US Navy P-3 / P-8 crews may gets some decent deployments in the future. I'd rather be deployed to RAF Lossiemouth than some godforsaken location in the mid-east. Thought I read somewhere that the RAF was thinking about a purchase of P-8's so that they could again have a fixed wing ASW capability.

You give them too much credit.

Who, the MOD for thinking about buying P-8, or MPA capability?

The Russians keep doing these token gestures to "scare the west" as if they didn't have a military that is a shadow of its former self and is largely using equipment from the Soviet Era.

I promise this whatever is going on still pales in comparison to the 1980s. Everything was bigger with higher stakes back then.

Speaking of Russian subs and where they don't belong, any further news on Sweden? Saw an additional report regarding photographs of tracks on the sea bed indicating a mini-sub. I remember reports similar to this from the 1980s along the Swedish coast, including line drawings of the tracks and screw marks along the bottom. Have the Russians ever released photos of a tracked submarine?

Latest Typhoon class...? :lol:/>/>

What's with the POL tank tied to the front?

I think this problem can be solved just like everything else -- by taking something we always use and make it even bigger. What we need is a really large fishnet.

173345314_black_fishnet_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Edited by Exhausted

Mmmm, I love fishing.

One thing is certain, if there is one nation that is better at making a specific sub, for a specific purpose, it is the Russians. For years we pretended that they didn't have a good idea about what they were doing; not the case at all. I have an incredible amount of respect for their naval fleet (surface and subsurface). I have to say, they are good at what they do. Very good.

Mark.

One thing is certain, if there is one nation that is better at making a specific sub, for a specific purpose, it is the Russians.

One would argue that the only reason their subs are even remotely close to western designs was because the Russians stole key technology from the west.

They do have some pretty revolutionary designs though (the Alpha and Typhoon classes come to mind).

If your single criteria is building an undetectable sub, many would argue that the Swedes should be considered at the top of that particular pyramid.

Edited by 11bee