Building Eduard's 1/48 Mig-21MF

Gents,

I am embarking on my next kit, the Eduard Mig-21MF and it's a lovely kit as some of you already know. I am using the Brassin exhaust for, but it doesn't really explain which colors to paint the interior of the exhaust. Also, can anyone let me know how much weight to put into the nose? Any thoughts to help out a Jet challenged guy would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

Edited by Brad-M

The liner inside the afterburner is painted dark green, just like Eduard's instructions say. It's odd, but it's accurate. I'd just use the same green you use for the wheels and dielectric panels.

I don't think you could make a MiG-21 into a tail-sitter. I've been building models for nigh on 50 years and I've never measured the weight I've put into a model. Balance the main airframe on your fingers and see how much it takes, then put that much plus some extra for mom and the kids just to make sure.

Sorry, but Jennings is mixing two very different things. The MiG-21 MF had the R-13 engine while the MiG-21 bis had the R-25 engines. They are different and so is the exhaust system both the exhaust pipe (from the turbine blades all the way to the constricting petals of the exhaust) and the exhaust petals.

- The engine pipe (which was a smooth surface pipe) of the MF is dark metallic grey,

- while the inside surface (which is directly exposed to heat) of the PETALS is painted with a ceramic paint (which is green), all other parts of the petals are light/mid/dark metallic grey with the top part (which is in contact with the ring which with its movement increases or decreases the exhaust diameter made up by the ring of petals) due to the friction is almost like polished bright metal.

- the afterburner flame holder rings are also painted in this particular green colour.

These are the colours for the MF while for the MiG-21 bis with R-25 engines is:

The R-25 engine exhaust is different.

- It had a corrugated internal surface which was painted in the same green colour, but with use it lost its colour fairly quickly going from green to all sorts of interim colours all the way to the white.

- here the inside surface of the petals was painted in a ceramic paint but this time it was white (similar to the one seen on US aircraft). The constriction ring of the petals is made up of two different petals: the ones “doing all the work” and there are narrow “interim” petals connecting the big ones. On the R-25 engine the interim petals were in most cases still in the green colour. So there is a lot of painting to do here!

Please don’t mix up the two very different engines and the exhausts conected to them!

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a look and a little study of inside the R-13 engine of the MiG-21MF aircraft. This is not from a publication but from several original aircraft. :coolio:

As noted before the inside of the pipe is a dark metallic grey. Sometimes the last ring was painted green but the rest remained grey metallic. During service life many parts were changed / replaced due to damage. The petals were just one such part so you could see very different petals side by side.

Please note that on museum aircraft you will find a considerable layer of dust inside the pipe making the colour more dull and grey.

MFpipe1_zps0a10cf7e.jpg

MFpipe2_zpsede2b3d2.jpg

MFpipe3_zpsff3d5ecf.jpg

MFpipe4_zpsf37249d6.jpg

All this is for the MiG-21MF with the R-13 engine but if you want to have fun and add a bit of extra colour to your kit then you should do a MiG-21 bis kit. The R-25 engine exhaust was really colourful!!!! The illustration is of a freshly used engine exhaust, all the colours are really vivid with tons of different shades! This is a well-used engine where the original green ceramic colour has been faded a lot by the heat.

It looks fantastic!!!! :) :D :)

MFbispipe5_zps00a4db04.jpg

Best regards

Gabor