Tamiya 1/35 T-34/76.

My first build for this Group Build, my 1/35 TAMIYA Sherman, needs some drying rack time. So I figured I would go ahead and get working on this 40 year old kit:

IMG_20150104_231035968.jpg

I bought it back in the mid to late 80's with the idea of making it a knocked out T-34/76 in a diorama with a Panzer IV. The Panzer IV got built but the diorama idea never materialized. I had started it... but then boxed it back up after not pursuing the diorama...took it out again sometime in the early 1990's...worked on it a bit...then boxed it back up and forgot about it.

Here is where it currently sits completion wise:

IMG_20150104_231110975.jpg

Lower hull has been assembled, as has part of the turret.

The road wheels need to be assembled and attached, as do the sprockets and idlers. Grab handles need to be assembled and attached, stowage, exhaust shrouds, two crew figures need to be assembled and painted (not my strong suit), and the three external fuel tanks need to be assembled and attached.

Then we have these:

IMG_20150104_231219608.jpg

OUCH! These 40 year old rubber band tracks are really brittle and badly warped. I may need to seek out aftermarket replacements but I would prefer to keep this OOB.

Plans are missing and decals are completely shot. No worries on the decals as many photos show Soviet World War II T-34's without any markings at all. Plans can be found online...so again, no worries there.

My goal here is for a quick build. Nothing fancy. Straight OOB. I also want to test Mig Pigments for the first time on this model to achieve a light dusty look...like what many Russian and German vehicles looked like in the hot summer sun on the Russian steppes.

Well that's it for now. Stay tuned.

Regards all,

Don.

There's got to be tracks for that guy out there.

Yeah there are. But they cost more then the kit :doh: . I think if they stay together and don't fall apart, I can get them straightened with warm water. I will find out tonight... :o

Stay tuned.

Regards,

Don.

Good news! I was able to get the tracks apart after a soak in warm water and got them fairly straight (remember, these are those old TAMIYA rubber band tracks...they were rarely straight when they were new and these are 40 years old!):

IMG_20150106_095921746.jpg

They are still pretty fragile, but I think I can use them.

I also assembled the three rear external fuel tanks. Fit was really bad here so I will have some sanding ahead of me tomorrow:

IMG_20150106_095854278.jpg

Fortunately, these external fuel tanks were notorious for getting beaten and banged (and blown up... ;)). So they will clean up nicely with elbow grease.

And lastly, I worked on the exhaust shrouds and pipes. As TAMIYA would have you assemble them the pipes seem to protrude from beneath the shrouds too far to my liking based on my references:

IMG_20150104_232610783.jpg

Easy fix by shortening the inside portion of the pipe (nobody even sees up in there anyway):

IMG_20150104_232640204.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos Gents. Its late...the lighting is terrible...and I have had enough for one day.

Building continues.

Regards all.

Don.

Sorry, one more as kind of a side. One of my New Years Resolutions heading into 2015 was to build more figures and improve my figure building skills. Right now I tend to shy away from figures and merely button up my tanks. Well my Wife knowing this, bought me this kit for Christmas:

IMG_20150111_194125000.jpg

As you can see its a T-34 albeit an 85 rather then a 76. But look at those figures that come with the kit!! Its a real beauty of a kit and I am really looking forward to it. But I knew that if I didn't get this shelf queen built, it probably would never get completed. So my motivation is to complete my 40 year old T-34/76 before I can start my Christmas present :D .

Nothing like a little motivation to get a wiggle in your builds. :lol:

Cheers fellas!

Don.

I got a lot of work done on my T-34/76 today. The turret top has been installed (the two shelf looking things inside the turret hatches are for the crew figures. They will be invisible once the figures are placed inside the turret openings), the road wheels have been assembled and dry fitted to the running gear (I went with the all metal road wheel configuration seen in late 1943 early 1944 as opposed to having two rubber rimmed and three steal rimmed wheels per side). The idler wheel was meant to be attached to a steel axel as these old TAMIYA kits could be built to be motorized. It would NOT fit! I ended up drilling it out to make it fit. You don't notice as its covered by the idler hub:

IMG_20150105_134338241_HDR.jpg

You will also notice that I installed the aerial mount, two tool boxes, exhaust shrouds/pipes from last nights work, the T-34/76 single head lamp, tow hooks, and front machine gun:

IMG_20150105_134411703.jpg

IMG_20150105_134428973_HDR.jpg

I still need to attach turret grab handles, upper hull grab handles, turret vision ports on either side, the three external fuel tanks, turret hatches (in the open position), and a few other bits and pieces. I still need to assemble the two crew figures. This is all on tap for tonight.

Stay tuned. Work continues...comments welcome.

Regards all,

Don.

I'm going to pay close attention to painting this beast. I've got a few 1/48 in the stash, and need to learn the ways of AFV painting... :)

LOL...I am no expert, but I truly do appreciate your vote of confidence. With regards the painting of Soviet World War II era armor...suffice it to say you have a large palette... ;)! More in a later update.

Thank you for your comment. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Don.

More progress last night and earlier today. My T-34/76 is rapidly approaching the painting stage.

Crew assembled and dry fitted for photo purposes, turret hatches mounted. I thinned the front left fender and right rear mud guard for battle/operational damage. The Germans nicknamed this turret hatch configuration of the T-34 "Mickey Mouse"...it fits I think:

IMG_20150106_095837359_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150106_095823448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150106_095738878_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150107_083450742_HDR.jpg

In the above photo you can see that the turret periscope is attached, external fuel tanks have been cleaned up and mounted, grab handles attached to the upper hull sides, grab handles attached to turret sides and back (I used a homemade jig to make sure they were level on all three sides as TAMIYA does not provide holes or attachment locations), two figures are now mounted on sticks to facilitate painting, stowage cleaned up (one bedroll and one ammo crate dry fitted for picture purposes only), one spare track dry fitted to the turret as additional armor (it will be affixed after painting).

IMG_20150107_083534727_HDR-1.jpg

Really, all I need to do is wash the model, let it dry, then prime, paint, weather the tank, stowage, and the figures and call it finished. Should be wrapped up within the week. Told you...quick build.

Building continues...comments welcome.

Regards all,

Don.

More progress last night and earlier today. My T-34/76 is rapidly approaching the painting stage.

Crew assembled and dry fitted for photo purposes, turret hatches mounted. I thinned the front left fender and right rear mud guard for battle/operational damage. The Germans nicknamed this turret hatch configuration of the T-34 "Mickey Mouse"...it fits I think

Really? It's interesting to think about US popular culture having that reach back then...

Really? It's interesting to think about US popular culture having that reach back then...

Yes indeed. Adolf Galland, the famous Luftwaffe ACE had Mickey Mouse as his personal nose art.

NAJN8JTZ6nx451n0HVLRePmco1_500.jpg

There were a number of German tanks and aircraft that used Disney characters of the day to personalize their mounts.

Regards,

Don.

Here she is under an initial coat of paint and one light misting to allow for color differences:

IMG_20150107_160732211.jpg

Soviet armor was painted in many different shades of green (sometimes one tank was a slightly different shade of green then the next one on the assembly line). The general rule of thumb is to choose a color of green that falls somewhere between light olive drab and black green. That's quite a lot of greens to choose from! Personally I go with TAMIYA XF-13 J.A. Green as my base coat and then lighten it to suit my desired color fading for the specific build.

IMG_20150107_160721061.jpg

There have also been stories of Russian tanks being driven off the assembly line and not painted at all. They were sent out in raw steel color (blackish-brownish-steal-grey...think steal beam color used in building construction). Also, multicolor camouflage schemes on Soviet World War II tanks was rare, despite kit manufacturers penchant for including them as markings options. I don't mean winter whitewash over green (that WAS used a great deal) but more green and brown (often called Russian Earth) patterns. They did paint tanks in green/brown camouflage, but they were few in numbers compared to straight green.

IMG_20150107_175905413_HDR.jpg

My goal is to have this build wrapped up this weekend and refocus on my Sherman. The tank needs to be weathered, as does the track, track needs to be installed, figures finished and installed. Really not that much when you get down to it. I am also thinking of doing a simple base to mount my T-34/76 on.

Thanks for looking all.

Work continues...comments more then welcome.

Regards,

Don.

Those bare metal T-34s were made at the factory at Stalingrad, while the battle raged on the outskirts. They armed them, crewed them and sent them straight into the battle off the floor. I have the Maquette 1/35 T-34 Stalingrad and it's another one I look forward to building.

Looking good so far. Those older Tamiya armor kits are nice little quickie builds.

Ken

A little off topic, but I thought some folks might enjoy this:

It's a completely intact T-34 recovered from a bog in 2000. It broke through the ice during the war and was forgotten. What's unique is that it wears captured markings (German). It had live rounds of ammo still inside and was remarkably preserved. So much so that just days after it was pulled from the bog, it's plugs were changed, fuel, oil, and other lubricants changed...and it fired up! Amazing. I guess finding tanks and even aircraft in bogs in Europe happens more then we know.

Anyways...I will have new pictures of my soon to be completed T-34/76.

Regards,

Don.

FINISHED!!!!

IMG_20150119_132319623.jpg

This was my second time using Mig Pigments and I still have a lot to learn. I normally use pastels. These figures are my first in at least a decade...again, much room for improvement:

IMG_20150114_165306581.jpg

My goal was to achieve a dusty dry look as was seen in the late summer months where rain may not come for a week or more:

IMG_20150119_132338426.jpg

The idea is that my T-34/76 is one in a column of Soviet tanks moving in the tall grass against German forces (a dangerous endeavor when you consider the camouflage open to German anti-tank guns, mines and well hidden infantry with anti- armor weapons). This explains the crushed tall dry grass behind and in front on the tank:

IMG_20150119_132300673.jpg

Thank you all for your kind notes and words of encouragement. I do appreciate them!

More pictures to be found here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=281385&st=0&gopid=2682442entry2682442

As always, comments and opinions are more then welcome.

Kindest regards,

Don