A Hog Swimming with the Sharks, 1/48 Hobby Boss A-10A

Update Part IV

All right.... this post is all about Aires wheel well set. As has been mentioned before, the A-10's wheel wells are pretty unremarkable concering details and generally not fussed over BUT, Aires has all the goodies in their set! The question is to paint all those "goodies." The answer for me was a resounding YES! I love torture! Haha. No, really, it wasn't that bad but, certainly challenging. So, with my trusty Gunze #20/0 and a handful of Acrylic's and one Enamel bottle, I set out to pick out some of those "goodies."

20151011_075536.jpg

20150915_181745.jpg

20150915_181909.jpg

20150922_095755.jpg

The little "black box" in the lower part of the nose gear well is a separate part that Aires includes on a separate sprue. It's an engine diagnostics box which, I might mention, Jake Melampy details in his Modern Hog Guide.

20151001_235355.jpg

The photo below shows the weights applied in the nose gear well to counter balance various ammunition load outs for the GAU-8 and, believe it or not, they are painted white while all the gear bays are a light grey. You can also see here the new antenna fairing on the gun cowling.

20151011_090336.jpg

I can see here that I missed painting some cable ties! Again, you have to love shooting in macro! Haha. If it's not photos of dust on your model, then it has to be what you missed! Happens all the time for me! Haha.

20151011_075448.jpg

End Part IV.

Suprise Part V! 10/11/2015

This pig has wings now! Yay! I will discuss more in a later post but, I have to say that all the rumors are true....... the fit of the wings to the fuselage is TERRIBLE!

20151011_075203.jpg

20151011_075755.jpg

That concludes the October update. Until next time!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Mark,

I've only read parts 1 & 2 so far, but just had to comment on both those incrediable seat belts, and just how spectacular those intake fans look now that you have them installed in the nacelles. I've got to checkout those Nano Aviation belts and hope that they make more versions of them in 1/48 scale, like for WW11 props. Boy do they look great. What a huge improvement over even Eduards prepainted ones. Now on to update 3.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Mark,

Just finished reading through the rest of your update. As usual, just an outstanding amount of super detailed work. Whether with plastic, resin, or in this case a paint brush. Just rock solid detail painting, especially, when one considers that we're looking at your work via macro pictures. Well done my friend, very well done.

Joel

Really well done...

Regards,

Thanks so much Saul for stopping in and posting! The encouragement is VERY much appreciated!

Mark,

I've only read parts 1 & 2 so far, but just had to comment on both those incrediable seat belts, and just how spectacular those intake fans look now that you have them installed in the nacelles. I've got to checkout those Nano Aviation belts and hope that they make more versions of them in 1/48 scale, like for WW11 props. Boy do they look great. What a huge improvement over even Eduards prepainted ones. Now on two update 3.

Joel

Mark,

Just finished reading through the rest of your update. As usual, just an outstanding amount of super detailed work. Whether with plastic, resin, or in this case a paint brush. Just rock solid detail painting, especially, when one considers that we're looking at your work via macro pictures. Well done my friend, very well done.

Joel

Thank you Joel! You are always too gracious with your kind comments. Sierra Hotel Models is really the one to thank for the engine fans and cowlings! I just added paint to their great product. I have inserted a link below from HLJ for the Nano Aviation products in 1/48. They also have seat belts in 1/32 and 1/72 as well but, I am not really familiar with how much variety they offer in the other two scales. If you haven't looked into them yet, there are a few products for WWII planes. More so than modern aviation subjects.

Fine Molds Nano Aviation @ HLJ in 1/48

As is the case with the photos..... the setting is called Superfine on the Samsung Galaxy SIII with a resolution of 3264 X 2448. So I guess I can't "officially" call it macro but it's larger than looking though my 5X Optivisor! I should put my trusty dime in some of the shots again. Maybe I will do a "quick pic" for scale/ size comparison. Thanks again Joel. I appreciate your participation and encouragement!

-Mark

Sorry all! Sometimes I forget that it's hard to get an idea of how small the details I show in my WIP are and many times when I take photos I don't take a reference shot of something more common to relate the size with. Thanks to Joel for reminding me of this so here is one last photo to maybe help with the size of these things. I know it doesn't help for all my photos but, it should give a good "general" idea of size.

20151011_172607.jpg

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Mark, funny thing i just realized that this WIP is yours, i have been reading all of it, cause after i am done with the cookie monster (EA-6B) this will be my next one, with all the goodies, minus the wheel whels from aires, i read they ar out of scale, to short and to narrow also, the rest is on its way, one question, the engine fans are those PE pieces from Eduard??

i will keep following this post all the way

Jorge

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

Mark, funny thing i just realized that this WIP is yours, i have been reading all of it, cause after i am done with the cookie monster (EA-6B) this will be my next one, with all the goodies, minus the wheel whels from aires, i read they ar out of scale, to short and to narrow also, the rest is on its way, one question, the engine fans are those PE pieces from Eduard??

i will keep following this post all the way

Jorge

Hey Jorge! Thank you so much for stopping in! I am most humbled that you have been following my build. I know that you will build an AMAZING A-10! The engine fans that you are referring to come from Sierra Hotel Models and are made of resin. They can be found at the following link:

SHM A-10 Inlets

I couldn't find any information about International shipping but, currently as of todays date (10/12/15), they are in stock. Let me know what you find out.

As far as the Aires wheel wells go.... they might be just a millimeter too short but I think, personally, they are not too narrow at all. What you see in my build here are the Aires wheel wells. So you can see them and decide. Some of my earlier posts show a comparison between the shape of the kit part vs. the Aires part. It wont matter at all what you choose with the skills that you possess! The Hobby Boss kit, itself, will test your patience though. Thanks again Jorge!

-Mark

Mark,

Now I'm even more impressed with the dime for a reference.

Jorge is another online modeler friend whose work I both follow and admire, as his skill level is just top flight. I'm already looking forward to following his A10 build.

And Mark, thanks for the link, I'm headed over there in a few.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Well, Mark, i am taking your words on the wheel bays, i ordered them as well as the engine inlets from sierra, with this two i think i have all the gadgets available for this model.

I will hold you responsible for this two items, hahahaha, just kidding , thanks for the input on the wheel bays, i hope i can start this model as soon as i can, depending on how much work gives me the EA-6B.

Hi Joel, i have been away from this forum but i am back in with a new proyect as you can see in this very forum.

Jorge

Mark,

Now I'm even more impressed with the dime for a reference.

Jorge is another online modeler friend whose work I both follow and admire, as his skill level is just top flight. I'm already looking forward to following his A10 build.

And Mark, thanks for the link, I'm headed over there in a few.

Joel

Hey Joel! Thanks, as always for the kind comments. I am very aware of Jorge's work! All aspects of his work are extremely well done and very inspirational. I caught his last "splinter" camo F-15 in the display case. I need to hurry up and get my Hog done because it's bad enough I have to follow Vincenzo's Hog! Haha. If I have to follow Jorge's...... well..... I might be a little embarrassed to even say that my "lump of plastic, resin, and brass" is even an A-10! Haha! You are welcome for the link. I think you will be delighted at the WWII offerings.

-Mark

Fantastic work, mark! I really enjoy watching your updates.

Jake

Thank you Jake! Thanks for stopping in, posting, and your kind words. I also need to thank you (again)for publishing this great reference book on the A-10! I have used it though-out the build (you may have noticed it in the background of the photos where the model has the wings on.)and will continue to use it as I go! It is certainly is a "must have" item for anyone building a Hog (IMHO). I can't wait for Volume II!

-Mark

Well, Mark, i am taking your words on the wheel bays, i ordered them as well as the engine inlets from sierra, with this two i think i have all the gadgets available for this model.

I will hold you responsible for this two items, hahahaha, just kidding , thanks for the input on the wheel bays, i hope i can start this model as soon as i can, depending on how much work gives me the EA-6B.

Hahah! Thanks Jorge! One thing that does come immediately to mind is the fact that the HB kit does not have any sway braces for the weapons pylons. You can source these from the Eduard PE exterior set, The Italeri boxing of the A-10A or C, or the Revell Monogram boxing of the A-10. I would also highly recommend Royale Resin wheel set below (if you haven't gotten them yet!)

Royale Resin A-10 wheel set

I am certainly NOT trying to be presumptuous..... only trying to help! No matter what you choose Jorge.... your build will be...... just...... INCREDIBLE, I know it!

-Mark

Finally I see you work !!!!! :woot.gif:/>

Thanks for showing belts ...... after the effort I made to bend photoeched !!! :crying2:/> :D/>

Your progress is good, when the model begins to take its final shape is faced with a different spirit.

I'm always here to follow you! :thumbsup:/>

Mark, i think your main purpose is to ruin my retirement funds from my bank account, thanks for the link but i will stick with the rubber tires from hobby boss, by the time i wil start my A-10 yours will be ready and you will be up to your neck in another proyect.

Thanks for your kind words about my models and work, but you are much more meticulous on details, you are almost like a rivet counter hahahaha, my work is like Chuck said earlier in you WIP, i am not in doing exact copies of the real plane, i just want them to look nice and interesting to other peoples eyes.

Said enough i will return into my mess called EA-6

Jorge

Finally I see you work !!!!! :woot.gif:/>/>

Thanks for showing belts ...... after the effort I made to bend photoeched !!! :crying2:/>/> :D/>/>

Your progress is good, when the model begins to take its final shape is faced with a different spirit.

I'm always here to follow you! :thumbsup:/>/>

Thanks for stopping in Vincenzo! Sorry about the belts but, I didn't have them until later. After I had the seat painted. Well.... you can get some for your next project! Thanks for supporting me!

-Mark

Those belts are lovely! Keep up the good work Mark.

Thank you for stopping in and posting Sid! I am doing my best not to embarrass your name with as many times as I tell folks how your work has influenced me! Haha.

-Mark

Mark, i think your main purpose is to ruin my retirement funds from my bank account, thanks for the link but i will stick with the rubber tires from hobby boss, by the time i wil start my A-10 yours will be ready and you will be up to your neck in another proyect.

Thanks for your kind words about my models and work, but you are much more meticulous on details, you are almost like a rivet counter hahahaha, my work is like Chuck said earlier in you WIP, i am not in doing exact copies of the real plane, i just want them to look nice and interesting to other peoples eyes.

Said enough i will return into my mess called EA-6

Jorge

Haha! You have found me out Jorge! With your skills the kit wheels will probably look even better. Thanks for your kind words and yes, I am trying my best to be meticulous with the A-10. Probably more so than any other subject since it is my very favorite plane!

-Mark