CD72122 - 1/72 C-47 Dakota

I would like to do a couple of postwar US C-47 sheets in both 1/48 and 1/72 scales: it looks like there is a lack of interesting postwar decal subjects for the C-47.

I would like to limit these sheets to US subjects for the time being: I am open to doing foreign C-47 sheets later, I would like to have some US C-47 sheets in circulation first. AC-47s, Air National Guard, Navy R4Ds, Vietnam, Berlin Airlift, Air America etc. are all appropriate. Let me know if you have any suggestions..

Edited by KursadA

R4D-5 Assigned to NAS Corpus Christi was the Blue Angels logistics aircraft in the Bearcat and Panther eras. Side number (repeated on the nose) is 123 and "123 Corpus Christi" is the text under the port wing. Metal except for the antiglare panel.

blue-angels-skytrain-01.jpg

Chris

Some of the USAFE support C-47s have nice colorful markings. Profiles in the USAF Europe in Color volume 2 book from Squadron.

http://www.squadron.com/USAF-Europe-Vol-2-Color-SC-Squadron-Signal-p/ss6563.htm

Would love to see some of those in decal form. Think similar markings to the 81st TFW Voodoos, and other quite interesting schemes.

Rick L.

Some of the USAFE support C-47s have nice colorful markings. Profiles in the USAF Europe in Color volume 2 book from Squadron.

http://www.squadron.com/USAF-Europe-Vol-2-Color-SC-Squadron-Signal-p/ss6563.htm

Would love to see some of those in decal form. Think similar markings to the 81st TFW Voodoos, and other quite interesting schemes.

Rick L.

Some may already be in the works

Britmodeller link

yeah I am in for this one.....

How about some Air Rescue Service ships. They have been done before but I do not think any are currently available.

1f-DouglasSC-47DSkytrainoftheCFlightofthe6thRescueSquadronUSAFAirRescueService_zps5c9bbfaa.jpg

302513808335087884.jpg

And a coast guard option would be cool if not super colorful:

3_35.jpg

either way looking forward to what ends up on this sheet.

Zach

Some may already be in the works

Britmodeller link

Couple things: I'm not familiar with the individual and he will be selling them personally. Not necessarily a problem, but I like dealing with a known entity. His initial releases are the 1/72 sheets, so who knows when or if he gets to the 1/48 sheets. They are going to be laser printed on a white background. They are sized for the 1/72 kits, not the 1/48 kits. Don't know if that could be an issue or not.

Those subjects are exactly what I'm talking about, though.

Rick L.

Excellent suggestions, everyone - please keep them coming. I have seen the following die-cast model some time ago; but I can't seem to find photos of the real aircraft. Can anyone help?

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/FM-B11E372

I like this plane too. I would love to see this on a sheet. I found this 3 view on the interwebs. Not sure if it helps at all....

3_25.jpg

Zach

I like this plane too. I would love to see this on a sheet. I found this 3 view on the interwebs. Not sure if it helps at all....

Zach

Thanks - I have seen the same drawing, too; and I am thinking there must be some photographs of it somewhere. The same goes for the other rescue C-47s; these are big markings but would look pretty good on the re-released Monogram C-47.

That 3 view profile is out the Dana Bell book Air Force Colors Vol3 Pacific & Homefront 1942-47.

There no image of the real aircraft in the book, But I believe Dana still hangs out over on the Hyperscale forums....maybe he has a image of it in his archives.

• 2 months later...

For a VX-6 R4D-5L, #17221 seems to be a good prospect. Seems to be many photos, both historical and present day. Also, this R4D is being restored in New Zealand.

Here's a link to the NZ restoration, Ferrymead Aeronautical Society R4D link

Here's a link to a VXE-6 R4D historical website, VXE-6 R4D's

VXE-6's R4D-5L #17221 link VX-6 R4D #17221 link Photo credits are all on the linked websites...

r4d_yankee14.jpg

r4dfmeadphulliptreweek.jpg

r4ddc322.jpg

Hope these help...

:cheers:/>/> and happy modeling, Bryan

Edited by Bryan H.
  • 3 months later...

This New Mexico ANG C-47 would be a nice addition if this sheet is still in the works?

11742677_952805998072999_6826671672157659155_n_zpspbnwj2kq.jpg

Image taken from IPMS UK USAF SIG Facebook page,Original Copyright unknown

Edited by mungo1974

How about the Bird of the Sun (travel club) C-53? Was one of the more colorful local birds in the 70s. See at http://photovalet.com/281344 and http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39677-dc-3-bird-of-the-sun-travel-club-decals/ Never did finish photographing the whole plane. Parks682Decals actually did a very limited run of decals in 2010. Dean

Edited by stryker1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Ah, the excitement of youth. Those heady days when you forget there are only 24 hours in a day and you think you can do anything..🙂

Kidding aside, I had done a bunch of design work on this. Colorful USAFE tails, the works. I just have a bunch of items on my list for the first 3-4 months of 2019. I will then bring this back to the front burners and work on it.

Edited by KursadA
  • KursadA changed the title to CD72122 - 1/72 C-47 Dakota