formation of B-17 Special Interest Group (B-17 SIG)

To my knowledge there is no online resource that is an authoritarian conglamoration of B-17 research. I could bring some great revelantions to such a group if it were formed however I have not the time nor desire to establish and monitor such an undertaking. There are many entusiasts here. If one were to take this formation on I would lend my support. There is more to the B-17 story that has yet been collected.

Edited by flip marchese

I would be interested in helping as well. The Flying Fortress was always something of interest to me. It is unfortunate that there isn't anything for RCAF aircraft of interest. Our avaiation history isn't as boring as some may think... but I digress. Again, I'd be interested in helping.

Slartibartfast said: "Not even this will get me to sign-on to Facebook. Have fun."

To which I add: DITTOS!

I have enough to do already, and of course the privacy/security issues, which abound in social media.

My 2c worth...

I belong to a couple of B-17 related Facebook groups: "Fans of the B-17" and "The B-17 Modeling Group." The modeling group is mainly just people posting their builds..occasionally some nice work, but not a lot in the way of research info. The "Fan" group tends to be a lot of the same stuff posted over and over, since new people are constantly joining. That god-awful "Mighty Eighth" video clip gets posted at least once a month by someone who just found it and can't wait to share their incredible "discovery" (and then has to be convinced that it has nothing to do with the upcoming HBO miniseries) and many of the same old myths and legends get repeated ad nauseam. Many of the "discussions" consist of an extremely basic questions written so badly as to be barely comprehensible, followed by interminable arguments among various self-proclaimed experts. There are occasionally good pictures and info posted, but the signal-to-noise ratio can be pretty low.

As Flip says, the format of FB is much to ephemeral to serve as any kind of comprehensive repository of information. It's a social network, nothing more..anything more than 36 hours old is considered ancient history and long forgotten.

SN

Jesus...wasn't expecting some kind of Spanish Inquisition...

Sorry, I didn't mean to get testy..the Facebook B-17 Fan Group just has me a bit annoyed these days. But as has been said, FB simply isn't organized in a way that lends itself to this sort of thing. I agree it might be nice to have a "one stop shop" for B-17 reference and research..maybe then we could get people to stop painting the insides "interior green" and putting big black streaks coming out of the wing vents. B)

SN

That's the thing there's no way something like this could get off the ground. There would be so much infighting and banning of members/posters that traffic would probably cease.

There's a phenomenal info thread in the Fortress GB from a few years ago. Maybe we can get a mod to sticky it in the props section? Like the mustang wings sticky.

Well, my offer stands. We know who the " essentials" are to some degree and we realize that without some archive, the 4th generation of enthusiast will never get beyond the thrashing of the wheat. Whereas if the 2nd and 3rd generations can create a foundation of solid references, the effort can be expended in progress rather than sifting.

Perfection might not be possible however a foundation and framework is if thoughtfully constructed and room is established for theory apart from documentation.

I belong to a Facebook group about the Lancaster Bomber (well, actually it is one of many that I belong to re the Lanc) and despite the appearance of the occasional new bit of info, the "signal-to-noise ratio" as Steve N so aptly put it, is nearly unacceptable. I recommend that you follow this forum for a few days to understand what we are saying...The Lancaster Bomber. I love your idea but having it on a public forum such as Faecesbook could be a real challenge IMHO.

BD

Facebook is not the answer. The idea is fixed repository, not a discussion forum.

Have you been on the Warbird Information Exchange forum? This may be the ideal place to set up a sub-forum for your idea. It's a great and knowledgeable bunch of warbird fanatics.