CF-18 439 Tiger Meet Special 1992

• 2 weeks later...

Small update today.

Finally got some progress to report. Got the external tanks, pylons, gear doors and landing gear painted. The pylons and tanks are ready for decals so I'll do the shatter test of the Leading Edge decals on them before I tackle the main decals on the whole aircraft. The landing gear and doors are ready for detail painting.

hkaAPm.jpg

Cheers,

John

Seams a Hornet takes its time to build! But I like what I see, you make a clean and good model! Keep up the good work, still no need to hurry and spoil something!

Great work John! Loving the build. How did you manage to mask of the intakes so well? They look great.

I used foam earplugs. I use the 3M style with a flat end so when they expand the intake is sealed right off.

Cheers,

John

Well, the Hornet has some Tiger Stripes!

I decided to apply the decals to the pylons and external tanks so I could get a feel for how they perform. They held together and didn't shatter but are very thin and somewhat difficult to work with. The pylon stripe decals had carrier film between the stripes to help aid in placing the decal. In fact this hinders decal placement and I unfortunately ruined one decal. Lesson learned..... each stripe will have to be individually cut out and placed on the model to minimize problems working with multiple stripes on a single decal. I have a backup set of decals on the way just in case of any other problems.

yHaQ6s.jpg

Cheers,

John

Very good work John. The cockpit detail looks quite nice. Great work removing the canopy seam too. Always a PITA to fix. I'm glad the decals are holding together but it looks like you're in for the long haul if you have to lay each stripe individually. No doubts though that the results will be well worth the effort.

Good luck and pray your eyes don't cross too much.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Nice build, looking great!

You do have the early batch Tiger Stripe decals, so be careful as you already know. The newer release has differen packaging.

Make sure you trim the girly on the tail properly. She is the best part of the scheme!