Hi Guys,

Just managed to pick up this kit and wondered what your thoughts are on it with regard to accuracy, buildability, etc ? Looks like it is on a par with the MRC/Academy C models detail wise, but wondered if there was a review or build online anywhere ?

Many thanks !

And yes, the flexible ammo chutes have melted through the rotor blades, which I understand is a common problem with these kits :-(

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Guys,

Just managed to pick up this kit and wondered what your thoughts are on it with regard to accuracy, buildability, etc ? Looks like it is on a par with the MRC/Academy C models detail wise, but wondered if there was a review or build online anywhere ?

Many thanks !

And yes, the flexible ammo chutes have melted through the rotor blades, which I understand is a common problem with these kits :-(

Cheers,

Andy

Ray(rotorwash) is the Huey man. I'm sure your answer is coming soon.

Oliver

The rotor blades have a chord which is too wide. Building the guns provided are next to impossible. The pilot seats are laughable. If you have an old Panda Huey and a parts kit UH-1C, you can actually build something that looks like a UH-1B.

Chris M

Andy,

Chris hit most of the major points I think. to me the blades are the biggest disappointment. They are neither wide enough for a C (27 inch chord) nor narrow enough for a B (21 inch chord). They seem to be about 25 inches. I will say the rotorhead is pretty decent and I am using it along with some of the Cobra Company UH-1B backdate set to convert an MRC/Academy UH-1C to a UH-1B. Also, if you have opened yours, I'm guessing the ammo belts are eating into the blades unless they package them separately now. As Chris said, the minigun will make you pull your hair out. If you want to get a decent B model blade you can scavenge a Panda/Dragon UH-1D/H blade and cut it to the correct length (44 scale feet for the B vs 48 scale feet on the D/H). If you get your blade from the Dragon UH-1D HEER boxing, it will have the correct chord, otherwise you will have to sand the 212 blade to the correct width (it has the correct width at the blade root). Good luck and let us know if you decide to build it.

Ray

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I really need to get my head around the rotor blade issue on all of these Huey kits once and for all (am I right in thinking that the Dragon UH-1N is the only kit with the correct blades, and all of the others are wrong to some degree ?) As Ray rightly said, the ammo belts have melted the rotor blades into a bit of a mess anyway so I will need to replace these with something.

I wasn't going to use the kit weapons as I have the Cobra M6 set but the only other thing bothering me a little is the canopy glazing, hopefully the parts will clean up but they have a few molding imperfections which may be a challenge. Don't suppose there are any aftermarket vacform canopies for the Huey models ?

One other question, am I right to use armored seats on this model or would they have the earlier non-armored ones ?

Thanks again

Andy

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I really need to get my head around the rotor blade issue on all of these Huey kits once and for all (am I right in thinking that the Dragon UH-1N is the only kit with the correct blades, and all of the others are wrong to some degree ?) As Ray rightly said, the ammo belts have melted the rotor blades into a bit of a mess anyway so I will need to replace these with something.

I wasn't going to use the kit weapons as I have the Cobra M6 set but the only other thing bothering me a little is the canopy glazing, hopefully the parts will clean up but they have a few molding imperfections which may be a challenge. Don't suppose there are any aftermarket vacform canopies for the Huey models ?

One other question, am I right to use armored seats on this model or would they have the earlier non-armored ones ?

Thanks again

Andy

As the UH-1B remained in service for many years and was still fielded in Vietnam, they did get the second version of the seat with armor. Until that happened there were field mods made that attached folding panels to the seat side that helped defeat small arms fire.There were other variations of armor added in the doors and around the front glazing areas but those were sort of hodge podge fittings done with the imagination of maintenance workers.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

As the UH-1B remained in service for many years and was still fielded in Vietnam, they did get the second version of the seat with armor. Until that happened there were field mods made that attached folding panels to the seat side that helped defeat small arms fire.There were other variations of armor added in the doors and around the front glazing areas but those were sort of hodge podge fittings done with the imagination of maintenance workers.

Chris M

To further what Chris has pointed out. since you are building an M16 quad 60 system, the bird would most likely have had unarmored seats as the M16 system was primarily used up till 67 maybe into 68. It si certainly possible to have a M16 bird with armored seats as well. Also, if you are building an early bird, you will want nose mounted FM antennas and the old bell mount intake on the engine cowling. Also around 67, the later particle separators started showing up on B models in Vietnam. If you have particular subject in mind, we can tell you what mods she most likely had. As I mentioned before, your best bet is the UH-1D HEER kit for blades. Best of luck!

Ray