Bandai 1/72 TIE Fighter X1 - Darth Vader's TIE Fighter

Greetings Star Wars fans,

I just completed this model for friend. This is the new line of Star Wars models from Bandai. Its a snap together kit with coloured parts. If some might remember, Finemolds released a TIE Fighter X1 early last year. You'd think they'd be the same, however the Finemolds model is a bit smaller. In terms of construction, Bandai's snap together is pretty easy with very little gaps if any. I was surprised by that as the last snap tight model I did was more than 20 yrs ago and it wasn't very good. The downside though is that it has more assembly than the Finemolds version.

I like the display stand. Its much better than the Fine Molds version. I also like the green laser pieces they give you. At first I thought it was a bit corney, but it makes the model look more interesting.

The kit also comes with the option of windscreen with glass(plastic) or without (for those die hard fans who want just the frame only). Like the Finemolds model, it comes with 2 figures of Darth Vader(seated and standing).

Both are very well detailed. Overall, I think Bandai did a great job and I do prefer it over the Finemolds due to its better stand and lasers. I also chose to paint this one with medium grey(which has a bit of a bluish hue to it). This colour is more identifiable on TIE Interceptors, Bombers and Fighters in Return of the Jedi. Apparently this was due to the 'blue screen' background.

Next in line will be the X-Wing.

Anyway, here are some pics. I've also added the Finemolds(very light grey one) for side by side comparrison.  

P1020788_zps277f439b.jpgP1020790_zpsd24a9dcc.jpgP1020791_zps547cd5be.jpgP1020792_zps29cf6acd.jpgP1020793_zpsde52b558.jpgP1020794_zps695e2723.jpgP1020795_zps8af54079.jpgP1020796_zps045f15f3.jpg

I think FM got it wrong and Bandai got it right. Does anybody know if Bandai plans to scale there TIE fighters up to 1/48 scale.

Any proof or data to backup what you're "thinking"?

Although I no longer have a FM X1 advance in my hands, it was a commission build. But the dimension of the common parts matched those of the FM Tie Fighter I still have.

My Bandai X1 is still on its way from HLJ and Bandai's vanilla Tie Fighter isn't out yet, so I can't compare them side by side.

But, if you look around you'll see that all SW ships dimensions vary by source.

The FM Tie Fighter is closer to the special effect models dimensions used for the films which were 1/16 scale, which translated to a length of 5.76 meters.

But some other official materials and official site only state a 8.9 meters length for the Tie Fighter.

That would account for the 30~40% discrepancy in sizes between FM and Bandai kits.

Take into account that FM did their research and design with direct access to the special effects models used for the films.

Which one is wrong? neither of them.

FM took the dimensions from the SFX models and scaled them accordingly.

Bandai just took the numbers on paper from official "materials"

Edited by Inquisitor